• This topic has 358 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 359 total)
  • Is it just me or is this place boring?
  • quartz
    Free Member

I don’t know, would it?

Well, there has been a lot of discussions about the Oxford ‘grooming’ case, and much comment about how the culture and ethnicity of the abusers had a bearing on their actions, and some here seem to believe that travellers are inherently criminal/anti social, so I’m interested in whether anyone considers football hooliganism in the UK to be a ‘white’ problem. Or are the actions of a minority of individuals more to do with the fact they are dysfunctional, disturbed or just plain violent nutters, rather than an entire culture being guilty of their crimes?

binners

Can I state that all footballers wearing masks while playing in European Cup Finals will score stuffy goals because the other keeper was rubbish? Or is that maskist?

I know its a generalisation, but from the evidence I’ve sen its true

patriotpro
    Free Member

We should all stop referring to Black-runs as Black runs as they are mostly ridden by white folk.

sputnik
    Free Member

Did someone mention the Irish?

nealglover
    Free Member

Why are hooligans almost always white?

I don’t know that they are. And I’ve never presumed that they are.

Do you have anything that shows that to be the case ?

nealglover
    Free Member

Personally I think I’d have told them to foxtrot ocsar unless they could find me an actual offended person. That’s not a world I want to live in, spending my entire life crossing out words I can no longer use just in case someone might misunderstand and take offence, until we’re reduced to communication solely in the medium of creative dance.[/B]

This thread was worth reading.

Even just for that 😀

quartz
    Free Member

“I don’t know that they are. And I’ve never presumed that they are.

Do you have anything that shows that to be the case ?”

Just about every news report on tv about hooliganism, the many documentaries that have covered the issue, and what I and many others have witnessed in pubs/town centres/outside grounds.

Or simply do a Google image search; all the UK hooligans appear to be white.

edlong
    Free Member

Why are hooligans almost always white?

I don’t know that they are. And I’ve never presumed that they are.

Do you have anything that shows that to be the case ?

Good point. Can anyone answer a similar question about “pikeys” and thieving?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Did that fella that directly called me a racist get moderated or have I not looked far enough back? I hope he wasn’t banned or even warned.

I’m not offended by types like that, I’m more offended by those here that engineer the argument to the point that the weak minded would then make that assumption.

Here’s another view against the ‘pikey’ name calling..

Fascists, they’re not all bad are they, so it’s not fair calling them Nazis is it? I mean not all Nazis were bad were they? But I bet that bike that Cougar owes me, the PC brigade here don’t mind that Farrage fella being called a Nazi, now do they?

Double standards of the Left wing brutally exposed there, lets hear the argument out of that one.

nealglover
    Free Member

Or simply do a Google image search; all the UK hooligans appear to be white.

But they aren’t, a lot of clubs have a history of far right views, but even those clubs “firms” are not exclusively white.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/features/article/9/english-defence-league-football-hooligans-and-far-right-poli

nealglover
    Free Member

But I bet that bike that Cougar owes me, the PC brigade here don’t mind that Farrage fella being called a Nazi, now do they?

I think it’s ridiculous to call him a Nazi personally. Does that help ?

I’ve not seen the emails that prove cougar owes you a bike yet either 😉

bearnecessities

I had a dream about the original batmobile last night. Some guy had one and a few other cars that I was somehow arranging the shipment to another country. I think they guy had originally posted something on STW as well which is how I got involved.

Clear evidence I need a hoiday.

nealglover
    Free Member

Clear evidence I need a hoiday.

….or a Batmobile

cardo

I dreamt I took up roller blading then this happened…..

Do you think the beads are a bit OTT?

Edukator
    Free Member

Black economy, black money, black Monday, black outlook, black leg, to black flag… . I’m sure that if I picked up a fat dictionary I’d find hundreds. Do we have to worry about yellow too because of the Chinese, red because of the Amerindians. Black is a colour or a lack of colour, eliminating the use of a colour as an adjective or adverb is pretty perverse.

For those accusing whitegoodman of being racist, I suggest they consider their own use of insults. Personally I classify the use of “racist” as a stronger insult than any word used to qualify the immigrant communities, the F and C words, or indeed any word that triggers the STW filter.

In answer to Molgrip’s question: there weren’t any ethnic whites in the class to compare with, it was a Leicester school.

In answer to Junkyard’s accusations of being a bad teacher:

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its my homage to Fernando

Is that not a bit gay, are you curious?

the PC brigade here don’t mind that Farrage fella being called a Nazi, now do they?

And you dont mind describing people as the PC Brigade – what was your point about double standards caller?
    Its hilarious [ as in tragic] that those who are happy to use offensive terminology dont like it when it is applied to their views but defend it when they do it.
    Oh the irony

It was not really an accusation it was more sarcasm tbh I have no idea how you are as a teacher

RustySpanner

Deleted, in an attempt to retain my sanity.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

To be fair to be farrage, he hasn’t tried to commit genocide yet, so at the moment he’s just an idiot.
    If he does commit genocide, i’ll upgrade him to full nazi immediatly. 😀

Cougar

I’ve not seen the emails that prove cougar owes you a bike yet either

Didn’t you know, you can make things true if you simply keep repeating them every second post or so.

edlong
    Free Member

Personally I classify the use of “racist” as a stronger insult than any word used to qualify the immigrant communities, the F and C words, or indeed any word that triggers the STW filter.

I’d agree to an extent. There is a marked difference, mind you, between saying

“You are a racist”

and

“What you just said is racist”

With possibly a couple of exceptions, I think you’ll find on this thread the comments have largely been more the latter than the former. I wouldn’t agree that it’s a “worse” insult necessarily, but it’s still labelling someone, which is what the “pc brigade” seem to be against.

binners

officialtob
    Free Member

In other news…

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Racism is a foul thing, unfortunately part of the human condition and an extension of human tribalism, which is so perfectly exposed by soccer fans, it’s the same thing, comes from the same base instinct that our tribe is better than theirs.

My skin colour at certain times of the year has caused me to be directly exposed to it, along with a would be son in law, who also had the misfortune to be a Muslim at the height of the 7/7 period and was stopped and searched countless times simply travelling between University and our house, but the worse instance was in a pub on Romney Marsh, as ever a den of the ignorant and inbred, one of them came up to us poked him and said “ooh I’ve never touched black men before I just want to see what they feel like” two or three years ago in modern day Britain, you couldn’t make it up if you hadn’t been there, made me sick to the stomach.

But calling people names on a cycle forum aint racism, not in my view anyway, but I thank whoever deleted that post and educator for his support.

I’ve decided if I do continue to return here, which I undoubtedly will from time to time because it is a fun and entertaining place, I’ll just have to keep my ignore list up to speed and not let myself get wound up.

Kryton57

Edukator – Member
    Black economy, black money, black Monday, black outlook, black leg, to black flag… . I’m sure that if I picked up a fat dictionary I’d find hundreds. Do we have to worry about yellow too because of the Chinese, red because of the Amerindians. Black is a colour or a lack of colour, eliminating the use of a colour as an adjective or adverb is pretty perverse.

+1

Speaking as a chap with a black wife, and therefore a large black contingent on one side of my family, a good example of this is use of the word “coloured” to describe black people. Speaking from personal experience its abhorred, because it generalises and provides a mechanism for non blacks to try to pool together people of colour without an implied insult according to thier way of thinking.

My wife would tell you, “I’m black, so please refer to me as black”. She’d punch you on the nose for being so stupid as to try and have a long conversation with her attempting to avoid the word “black” if it was obviously going to be used.

edlong
    Free Member

calling people names on a cycle forum aint racism

Really? Which part? Do you think that calling people names isn’t racism? Or is it that it ceases to be racism if you are on a cycling forum when you do it?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’ve not seen the emails that prove cougar owes you a bike yet either
    Didn’t you know, you can make things true if you simply keep repeating them every second post or so.

You’re not trying to welch now are you? Is it clean yet? I hope it has gears.. 😉

FYI
    Singletrack Forum <forum@singletrackworld.com>
    Apr 12

to me
    No need for that. Deleted.

In relation to: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/americans-are-they-really-all-religious/page/2#post-4882205

If you think this message has been sent in error please contact moderator@singletrackworld.com.

Sent to whitegoodman (Richard (White) Goodman) by the Singletrack moderators.

binners

Cougar

Just so we’re clear,

The comment which was deleted stated that America was “a place we sent Religious nut jobs and the Irish to go and in breed..” and you’re asserting that this is a good example of moderation due to political correctness?

Wow, that’s me bang to rights.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    calling people names on a cycle forum aint racism
    Really? Which part? Do you think that calling people names isn’t racism? Or is it that it ceases to be racism if you are on a cycling forum when you do it?

It’s wether or not the place is more or less boring because the use of such terms gets folk banned. The list grows, it now includes Pikeys, the debate is also wether or not the ‘offended’ should or should not hold sway here.
    So now here is another, do you and your fellows Junkyard now consider it an insult to be called PC?

Please don’t suggest that is now a racist remark .

Do you actually even regard yourself as PC?

quartz
    Free Member

But they aren’t, a lot of clubs have a history of far right views, but even those clubs “firms” are not exclusively white.

As I said before; a relatively very small number of exceptions does not prove the rule.

The point is, that we as a society don’t see football hooliganism as a ‘white’ problem, because it isn’t. Hooliganism has nothing to do with ethnicity, and everything to do with issues of ignorance, frustration, anger and low self esteem. The motivation for criminal activity by all sots of individuals including those from traveling communities as well as those who live in houses, has nothing to do with ethnicity either. Therefore, people need to look beyond myths and misinformation, and see the underlying causes of social problems. Because if you want to actually address an issue, and improve things, then it’s crucial to employ this approach, rather than the narrow-minded ‘all X people are so-and-so’s’ type of rhetoric.

I’m reminded of a popular phrase from my childhood (which goes back way further than that); ‘black people have a marvellous sense of rhythm’. Stereotypical, and perhaps condescending and patronising, yet mainly meant with affection and indeed admiration. Racist? No. I never felt truly comfortable with it though, it just didn’t sit right with me. And none of my black friends ever seemed offended by it, they were more like ‘yeah, whatever’ about it.

I wonder what the ‘PC Brigade’ would make of it now?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Just so we’re clear,

The comment which was deleted stated that America was “a place we sent Religious nut jobs and the Irish to go and in breed..” and you’re asserting that this is a good example of moderation due to political correctness?

Wow, that’s me bang to rights.
    😆

No, point taken that’s me banged to rights, I’d even forgotten what it was, very true though…

So did it have gears? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

You should go to the ballet then 😉

Black is a colour or a lack of colour, eliminating the use of a colour as an adjective or adverb is pretty perverse.

you are probably correct but can you give me an example of it being used positively – Black then something good?
    It is not the biggest issue and not something i lose sleep over

Kryton in the US you have to say coloured as black is the offensive term iirc

do you and your fellows Junkyard now consider it an insult to be called PC?

I dont get as upset as you do when you get called a racist – who knew you were the sensitive one taking offence at “banter”.

binners

you are probably correct but can you give me an example of it being used positively – Black then something good?

….pudding?

No English breakfast pie is complete without it. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Hungry now 😀

Untitled by binlidski, on Flickr

edlong
    Free Member

wgm, no, I don’t feel insulted being called “PC”. I take it as recognition that I’m bothered to make the effort to use language in a way that doesn’t insult or offend my fellow human being.

You didn’t answer my question though, which was why you think that calling people names on a cycling forum wouldn’t be racist?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have tasted that and it was not good but very funny 😆

Oh and Black pool obviously

Edukator
    Free Member

Black power, Junkyard? Positive to me anyhow.

I’d post this image but the bar above the post box is missing:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/3/28/1332936684595/OLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg

Kryton57

Junkyard – lazarus

Are you really trying to infer eveything that is black is bad and therefore that context applies racially also?

Junkyard you seem to have a almost phsychopathetic need to start and argument, but thats pretty low IMO.

Cougar

Black power, Junkyard? Positive to me anyhow.

MOBO awards?

Drac

I drive an A3 Black Edition but it’s red and I’m white. 😕

5thElefant
    Free Member

Black tie?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 359 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is this place boring?’ is closed to new replies.