Is it just me or is this place boring?

Home Forum Chat Forum Is it just me or is this place boring?

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 359 total)
  • Is it just me or is this place boring?
  • patriotpro

I preferred the more anarchic days but I am still drawn here like a moth to a flame.

In the vein hope that the anarchic days will return… 😀

Mr Woppit

I actually have a pair of comfortable shoes with velcro straps…

Damnit.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Nope still 11 hours here (haven’t checked the bike one, will take your word for that.)

Ah you’re not on the front page, you’re in the chat.

Are you both in the same office?

What office?

camo16

Either there’s way less fun on here than there used to me or else it’s me,
    getting old, bitter and misty-eyed.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

The most argumentative users were banned a little while ago because they proved unable to self-moderate their behaviour despite continual requests and warnings.

I disagree: I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair, given that he never dished out any more than he received.

camo16

Aye, there was goodness in TJ alright.

Did his baiters get banned, too?

OP – you have an open playing field to engage in interesting and humorous banter. GFI. Show us what us missing…..Make it a funny 10 pager at least.

IMO, cougar hit the nail in the head. Moderation is a balancing act and done pretty well here (although I have no idea what is/isn’t acceptable with swearing or more importantly swear avoidance!). People were banned because they couldn’t follow the rules despite lots of warnings. What is there to complain about? There are other forums where their behaviour is more tolerated. We can all join them there if we want to.

In the meantime, let’s enjoy it here…..

A few have since, yes. Hopefully a few more sometime soon.

Drac – Moderator

Are you both in the same office?
    What office?

I assumed you were all in an office surrounded by a mountain of Fresh Goods, a miserable boss, demanding the heads of any offender likely to reduce the hit count, and breaking only to take a wheelbarrow full of money to the bank and that there were lots of you.

So does this mean you don’t know if he has got my bike ready to send then?

Pigface

I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair

+1 there is one “big hitter” who should feel pretty bad about how he went after TJ.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

TJ was (and still is) not a bad bloke. The problem is that he has trouble keeping control of his arguing. Fact is, nice bloke or not, he struggles to put his point across in text form without pissing people off. And sadly that has negative consequences on the forum and by association the mag.

I tried to help him understand what he was doing but it was impossible. I’m a bit surprised I didn’t get warned either as I too struggle to let it lie when I should sometimes.

Anyway – a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

mt

The mod are doing fine considering the idiots that post on here. Hmm 🙂

bikebouy

I’ve been think hard about this, well for about 11mins & 34secs give or take..

It’s quiet, cos everyone’s out on their bike or painting or building sheds or Chimeras, could be cos folks are “enjoying themselves outdoors”

Dunno, seems reasonable to me.

Now then, where’s my shades?

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I tried to defend the monarchy by drawing a parallel with Nazi-occupied France, and got asked if I was drunk.

That’s got to count for something!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Oh and I’m very happy with the modding on here, so have some praise mods.

mt

What molgrips said about TJ is pretty much spot on.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Nothing wrong with arguing your point especially if you are accurate and can do it with a bit of humour It is the name calling and stereotyping that is dull

Pretty much my stance. I’m all for a bit of “lively” debate, it’s when it goes all ad hominem that it’s going to get stood on.

I disagree: I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair,

You can disagree that he couldn’t amend his conduct despite repeated requests, but you’d be wrong. The second half of that comment I fielded already, in the post you partially quoted from.

I have no idea what is/isn’t acceptable with swearing or more importantly swear avoidance!

This is probably worth clearing up, as it’s a grey area. A while ago, people sometimes got warnings for obfuscating words that weren’t actually filtered (eg, “p!55”). This was acknowledged as a mistake / misunderstanding on our part, and it doesn’t happen any more.

a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

Quite, and I believe that’s what was needed to be curbed.

camo16

Say something funny Cougar, for God’s sake.

There used to be a few imaginative characters on here who made time and participation on STW worthwhile. I don’t know why, but IMO a lot of the inspiration has left the building.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

You can disagree that he couldn’t amend his conduct despite repeated requests, but you’d be wrong. The second half of that comment I fielded already, in the post you partially quoted from.

I didn’t say that you hadn’t asked him to amend his conduct. I’m saying that banning him was unfair, because his conduct was no worse than several people who you chose not to ban. His big fault was not being able to resist rising to the bait, but the root cause of that problem lies elsewhere.

TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull who couldn’t prevent himself from bullying his way into everyone else’s business.

Fred just liked the sound of his own voice and spoke more and more sh1t particularly towards “the end”.

Good riddance to both IMO.

mt

“TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull” he is a poodle in real life.

Markie

Better now, IMO.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

It’s A LOT less “14 yr old bedroom” in here now ( loads less T and A and kicking doors in)

Yeah, I think that might be true – but I don’t think any of the “significant banned” that are being discussed here ever posted that sort of crap, so if it’s fallen as a result of their leaving it’s because they were being trolled on the issue

It’s a shadow of its former self.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Anyway – a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

I agree – it’s a nicer place to be now, though also a bit less interesting.

TJ & t’elf weren’t ALWAYS horrile – they were frequently helpful, polite and most often very interesting.
    It’s a real shame that they couldn’t stop themselves.

deadlydarcy – Member

A few have since, yes. Hopefully a few more sometime soon.
    Really?
    That’s good.
    Always thought it was pathetically hypocritical to ban only half of those involved.
    Especially as the one’s who remained were mostly unpleasant, egotistical bores.

Pigface – Member

there is one “big hitter” who should feel pretty bad about how he went after TJ.
    “I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.”

He’s not a big hitter, he’s a very naughty boy.
    And he does come across as vaguely human these days.
    Makes a nice change.

“TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull” he is a poodle in real life.

I can believe that.

Likewise Fred might well be a decent bloke too.

I’d happily do some miles with either of them and share a pint after. I just think they’re best left to the real world and not the webternet.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’m saying that banning him was unfair, because his conduct was no worse than several people who you chose not to ban.

I’m limited as to how I can respond that as it was before my time. I genuinely don’t believe that it was personal though, and plenty of others got the bullet at the same time. What the exact process was though, I’m afraid I don’t know.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Fred is decent yes.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

There’s still an amount of casual racism that is left un-modded. Given how careful the owners are regarding the perception of this place I’m surprised.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

There’s still an amount of casual racism that is left un-modded.

Can you give us some examples please? As I think that’s utter cobblers

And I do mean examples of actual racism. Casual or otherwise. Not some soft-arse, just-itching-to-be-offended, PC over-sensitivity.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

glupton1976 – Member

I disagree.

I find that this is the most consistent forum for help, entertainment, and (sometimes) decent discussion anywhere going.

A shadow of its former self? When are these glory days you allude to?

kudos100

This place is boring, but when you allow keyboard warriors to spout constant bollox then this is what happens.

What happened to The Southern Yeti?

he always seemed to be cheerful as I recall, there are a few like him missing, I first joined up last year, I travel a lot and not always in good internet regions and it’s a bind using mobile devices, but coming back it’s a vastly different place to this time last year and I’m under a ban threat already without so much as a swear avoidance or alleged ‘ism’ of any persuasion, so where is my bike? 😉

camo16

I don’t think you can blame the ‘keyboard warriors’ or the mods for the increasing dullness of this forum. There’s enough non-hostile contributors on here surely to overwhelm the few sour grapes with their intelligent, inspired positivity… but IMO the chat forum is now overwhelmed with advice threads and underwhelmed with funny.

TSY, as mentioned ^^^^ was generally a positive influence. He’s banned I think.

retro83

When are these glory days you allude to?

Back when at least 25% of the posts on a given topic were ‘tick’ and the hamsters took regular fag breaks (wipes tears from eye). Glory days indeed.

Junkyard

And I do mean examples of actual racism. Casual or otherwise. Not some soft-arse, just-itching-to-be-offended, PC over-sensitivity.

Every single gypsy thread has it tbh

Last one ended up with someone claiming that slavery was part of their culture [ not to mention using pikey*- i dont think I could say that about the non white skinned folk and get away with it tbh.

* I doubt I could use a pejorative/derogatory term for Asians on her either and get away with it

I have not read the thread and I agree that it is generally politer and less ranty but it also more boring
    I do not know why TSY was banned at all he never did anything bad IMHO
    The others I may agree or disagree but I can actually see why they were culled. Miss many of them but still cannot understand why TSY had to go
    It is bland on here at times

I thought it was terrible the way the TJ baiters were allowed to continue ion here. on
    his last thread i had said the same thing and no response on it all ….he said it and they descended immediately to attack and provoke…we let the bullies stay and hit the victim – like all victims of bullying in the playground his reaction was the often the reason they picked on him

There’s still those that chooses to go on personal tirades, as happened to me yesterday. I just tend to ignore it but it does spoil the threads.

Even one of your friends – well he called you by name – said you were not making sense.
    It was nowhere near personal or insulting

fasthaggis

Boring?
    Depends what you want/expect from a forum.
    It can yoyo a bit in here ,but overall it covers a lot of subjects.

It’s also a bit like a Big Brother experiment.
    The more some posters type,the more their true nature leaks through,they just can’t help themselves.
    Over time it’s easy to get a sense of who to ignore or respond to ,and (probably) what they would be like in RL.

I know who I would have a pint with,and who I would ride in the opposite direction from 🙂

El-bent

+1.

Having frequented this forum for over ten years, I have to say that many of the current crop of dwellers are as dull as ditch water, and anyone who says that this place is better than it was would probably find the flat farm fields of Iowa and interesting place to visit.

Having said that, STW is a business, and has to look after it’s public image. And in today’s capitalist society, business is the more important than anything else.

Now, does anyone know any good knob gags?

Rosss

I only joined 4ish years ago so I didn’t know any of the “Big hitters” but I did see a few threads where banter went too far and the comments become cutting and seemed genuinely hateful so maybe the ban was a good thing – At the end of the day they’re probably all here under new names anyway.
    As for Moderation and boring I think they’ve got it spot on. I don’t personally get offended easily but the cleaner the site can be the better IMO. This place is extremely helpful and I have yet to start a post needing help and not get a genuninely helpful response. Maybe some humour has been lost but there are still enough witty, clever comments around to end up laughing at your phone in public.

I’ve come to the conclusion, from reading a lot more than I post, that this place has a small clique of those that are either in the vicinity of and ride with the powers that be or have at some point in the past and can pretty much get away with anything, whilst newcomers have a pretty random and unfair application of the rules. Those rules also in themselves are difficult to quantify, personally I might use the term ‘Pikey’ in real life with no expectation of anything other than light humour or riposte, does that make me racist, I sincerely hope not.
    Having said all that it must be a total nightmare having to keep an eye on every thread in this much volume and we are living in tough commercial times, any threat to a businesses existence has to be dealt with, but that should be weighed with the need to keep the community engaged especially with the huge competition from other social media and diversions like actually going riding.

I must just post this quote I read somewhere (wish I’d written it) it sums up my feeling about people who go on the internet often anonymously and then get ‘offended’. I can’t even remember who to attribute it to it was a columnist or blogger, Guardian I think, doh the joys of alzheimers..

“I hate offended people. They come in two flavours – huffy and whiny – and it’s hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up. Combined, they’re the very worst people on the planet – 20 times worse than child molesters

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

That quote is Charlie Brooker

full article here

And its absolutely bang on! Some people seem to exist purely to take offence at everything

You do not have the right not to be offended!!!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I’ve come to the conclusion, from reading a lot more than I post, that this place has a small clique of those that are either in the vicinity of and ride with the powers that be or have at some point in the past and can pretty much get away with anything, whilst newcomers have a pretty random and unfair application of the rules.

Miles off the mark there.

camo16

Miles off the mark there.

Which, incidentally, is also the name of one of my favourite jazz albums.

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 359 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is this place boring?’ is closed to new replies.