• This topic has 358 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 359 total)
  • Is it just me or is this place boring?
  • yunki
    Free Member

It’s nowhere near as entertaining..

The passtime of polite debate and exchanging of ideas and opinions that is enjoyed by a small minority of folk of a certain disposition has definitely won this corner of the internet.. they have grown strong from behind the safety of their keyboards and have found a voice and an audience..

The meek have inherited the earth, and turned it into a pair of beige nylon slacks with comfortable velcro fastening shoes

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    possibly a sign the weather has improved and more people are out riding
    It’s always like that in the morning but once people are at work or done their morning chores it sorts out, look now oldest is less than an hour.

Nope still 11 hours here (haven’t checked the bike one, will take your word for that.)

Has the other chap gone to get my new bike?

Are you both in the same office?

Have a yell through and check he’s cleaning it… 😉

gordimhor

Nothing wrong with arguing your point especially if you are accurate and can do it with a bit of humour It is the name calling and stereotyping that is dull

gordimhor

Static from my beige slacks is giving me gyp 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

and me.. 😳

patriotpro
    Free Member

I preferred the more anarchic days but I am still drawn here like a moth to a flame.

In the vein hope that the anarchic days will return… 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I actually have a pair of comfortable shoes with velcro straps…

Damnit.

Drac

Nope still 11 hours here (haven’t checked the bike one, will take your word for that.)

Ah you’re not on the front page, you’re in the chat.

What office?

camo16
    Free Member

Either there’s way less fun on here than there used to me or else it’s me,
    getting old, bitter and misty-eyed.

ransos
    Free Member

The most argumentative users were banned a little while ago because they proved unable to self-moderate their behaviour despite continual requests and warnings.

I disagree: I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair, given that he never dished out any more than he received.

camo16
    Free Member

Aye, there was goodness in TJ alright.

Did his baiters get banned, too?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP – you have an open playing field to engage in interesting and humorous banter. GFI. Show us what us missing…..Make it a funny 10 pager at least.

IMO, cougar hit the nail in the head. Moderation is a balancing act and done pretty well here (although I have no idea what is/isn’t acceptable with swearing or more importantly swear avoidance!). People were banned because they couldn’t follow the rules despite lots of warnings. What is there to complain about? There are other forums where their behaviour is more tolerated. We can all join them there if we want to.

In the meantime, let’s enjoy it here…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A few have since, yes. Hopefully a few more sometime soon.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

What office?

I assumed you were all in an office surrounded by a mountain of Fresh Goods, a miserable boss, demanding the heads of any offender likely to reduce the hit count, and breaking only to take a wheelbarrow full of money to the bank and that there were lots of you.

So does this mean you don’t know if he has got my bike ready to send then?

Pigface
    Free Member

I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair

+1 there is one “big hitter” who should feel pretty bad about how he went after TJ.

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ was (and still is) not a bad bloke. The problem is that he has trouble keeping control of his arguing. Fact is, nice bloke or not, he struggles to put his point across in text form without pissing people off. And sadly that has negative consequences on the forum and by association the mag.

I tried to help him understand what he was doing but it was impossible. I’m a bit surprised I didn’t get warned either as I too struggle to let it lie when I should sometimes.

Anyway – a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

mt
    Free Member

The mod are doing fine considering the idiots that post on here. Hmm 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been think hard about this, well for about 11mins & 34secs give or take..

It’s quiet, cos everyone’s out on their bike or painting or building sheds or Chimeras, could be cos folks are “enjoying themselves outdoors”

Dunno, seems reasonable to me.

Now then, where’s my shades?

SaxonRider

I tried to defend the monarchy by drawing a parallel with Nazi-occupied France, and got asked if I was drunk.

That’s got to count for something!

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and I’m very happy with the modding on here, so have some praise mods.

mt
    Free Member

What molgrips said about TJ is pretty much spot on.

Cougar

Nothing wrong with arguing your point especially if you are accurate and can do it with a bit of humour It is the name calling and stereotyping that is dull

Pretty much my stance. I’m all for a bit of “lively” debate, it’s when it goes all ad hominem that it’s going to get stood on.

I disagree: I think the banning of TJ was particularly unfair,

You can disagree that he couldn’t amend his conduct despite repeated requests, but you’d be wrong. The second half of that comment I fielded already, in the post you partially quoted from.

I have no idea what is/isn’t acceptable with swearing or more importantly swear avoidance!

This is probably worth clearing up, as it’s a grey area. A while ago, people sometimes got warnings for obfuscating words that weren’t actually filtered (eg, “p!55”). This was acknowledged as a mistake / misunderstanding on our part, and it doesn’t happen any more.

a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

Quite, and I believe that’s what was needed to be curbed.

camo16
    Free Member

Say something funny Cougar, for God’s sake.

There used to be a few imaginative characters on here who made time and participation on STW worthwhile. I don’t know why, but IMO a lot of the inspiration has left the building.

ransos
    Free Member

You can disagree that he couldn’t amend his conduct despite repeated requests, but you’d be wrong. The second half of that comment I fielded already, in the post you partially quoted from.

I didn’t say that you hadn’t asked him to amend his conduct. I’m saying that banning him was unfair, because his conduct was no worse than several people who you chose not to ban. His big fault was not being able to resist rising to the bait, but the root cause of that problem lies elsewhere.

Dickyboy
    mt
    Free Member
    spacemonkey

TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull who couldn’t prevent himself from bullying his way into everyone else’s business.

Fred just liked the sound of his own voice and spoke more and more sh1t particularly towards “the end”.

Good riddance to both IMO.

mt
    Free Member

“TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull” he is a poodle in real life.

Markie
    Free Member

Better now, IMO.

scaredypants

It’s A LOT less “14 yr old bedroom” in here now ( loads less T and A and kicking doors in)

Yeah, I think that might be true – but I don’t think any of the “significant banned” that are being discussed here ever posted that sort of crap, so if it’s fallen as a result of their leaving it’s because they were being trolled on the issue

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s a shadow of its former self.

RustySpanner

Anyway – a lot of those threads weren’t ‘interesting discussion’ they were pages of bitter mud slinging, and I do not like that.

I agree – it’s a nicer place to be now, though also a bit less interesting.

TJ & t’elf weren’t ALWAYS horrile – they were frequently helpful, polite and most often very interesting.
    It’s a real shame that they couldn’t stop themselves.

deadlydarcy – Member

A few have since, yes. Hopefully a few more sometime soon.
    Really?
    That’s good.
    Always thought it was pathetically hypocritical to ban only half of those involved.
    Especially as the one’s who remained were mostly unpleasant, egotistical bores.

Pigface – Member

there is one “big hitter” who should feel pretty bad about how he went after TJ.
    “I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.”

He’s not a big hitter, he’s a very naughty boy.
    And he does come across as vaguely human these days.
    Makes a nice change.

spacemonkey

“TJ was like an aggressive ill-trained Pitbull” he is a poodle in real life.

I can believe that.

Likewise Fred might well be a decent bloke too.

I’d happily do some miles with either of them and share a pint after. I just think they’re best left to the real world and not the webternet.

Cougar

I’m saying that banning him was unfair, because his conduct was no worse than several people who you chose not to ban.

I’m limited as to how I can respond that as it was before my time. I genuinely don’t believe that it was personal though, and plenty of others got the bullet at the same time. What the exact process was though, I’m afraid I don’t know.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fred is decent yes.

scotroutes

There’s still an amount of casual racism that is left un-modded. Given how careful the owners are regarding the perception of this place I’m surprised.

binners

There’s still an amount of casual racism that is left un-modded.

Can you give us some examples please? As I think that’s utter cobblers

And I do mean examples of actual racism. Casual or otherwise. Not some soft-arse, just-itching-to-be-offended, PC over-sensitivity.

SaxonRider

glupton1976 – Member

It’s a shadow of its former self.

I disagree.

I find that this is the most consistent forum for help, entertainment, and (sometimes) decent discussion anywhere going.

A shadow of its former self? When are these glory days you allude to?

kudos100
    Free Member

This place is boring, but when you allow keyboard warriors to spout constant bollox then this is what happens.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

What happened to The Southern Yeti?

he always seemed to be cheerful as I recall, there are a few like him missing, I first joined up last year, I travel a lot and not always in good internet regions and it’s a bind using mobile devices, but coming back it’s a vastly different place to this time last year and I’m under a ban threat already without so much as a swear avoidance or alleged ‘ism’ of any persuasion, so where is my bike? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 359 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is this place boring?’ is closed to new replies.