Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • is it just me or has ebay gone down the pan?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Not been there in a while and it's been even longer since I sold anything on there. 10% fees! Looked for similar items and it seems no one is bidding and it's all shops checking stuff up at near as damn it, retail price.

Has everyone gone somewhere else and if so, where?

I've got some motorcycle kit to sell.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I only use it for buying now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. You're right. I've given up with selling on there, the classifides here are FAR better

Dickyboy

Bidding prices seem to have fallen right off too – so if you are buying it's great, selling is just pants at the moment though & 10% plus listing fees just ain't worth it.

genesis
    Free Member

And there's so much tat on there as well as kit of dubious origin I stay well clear.

Northwind

Motorbike kit, dump it on Visordown. Try and avoid speaking to the locals 🙂 Or if it's bike specific, find a forum for that bike and do it there.

oldgit
    Free Member

Agree, STW and the like are far better.
    I'm looking for a cheap compact chainset for a hack bike, the money people want for well used items is stupid. Factor in postage and a new chainring and you might as well buy new. people must loose all sense and reason when bidding. Just look at a Sora chainset, buy it now £44 plus post when it's £33 in the shops.

Curly68
    Free Member

They are pricing themselves out. Being too greedy I think as the had a good thing going and used by loads of people.
    I always try on forums first then if that doesn't work, use ebay but the monthly charges are getting astronomical.

neilforrow

agreed, ebay should get over themselves…. it costs so much to sell on there… considering all they are doing is hosting an advert that you filled out…

and the rules that state you have to use paypal for some items is annoying as it costs even more.

I try and avoid the bay at all costs.

andrewh
    Free Member

Monthly charges? Have I misunderstood you Curly?

simon_g

10% fees, plus about 4% to Paypal too.

I tend to use it for lazy buying of obscure things I can't get from Amazon or similar (buy it now, pay via paypal, is way easier than signing up at yet another online shop) and selling things where I'm not so concerned about price so I just start at 99p and see how it goes.

mamadirt
    Free Member

It's blinkin' slow this afternoon 👿

philsimm
    Free Member

I had a seller questionairre request via email through the other day and told em exacty what i thought. ie terrible What a load of shi*e it's become of late to sell anything on ebay. Far easier to post on the forums instead and at least if you lose of few quid on here you know it's mostly going to a good home , most peeps will be grateful of it and you know it's being used by bikers

stumpyjon

Agree, they've got very greedy and weighted things far to much in the favour of the buyer. Don't think they're interrested in private sellers anymore which is a shame as that's how they started.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

onzadog – what kit are you selling??

philsimm
    Free Member

The thing where they hold your money until the buyer gives you positive feedback is also a bit unfair. what if the buyer doesn't bother? it means 28 days until the funds are released and then another 4/5 days for it to clear. Just another way for Paypal to gain interest off've you money if you ask me? Anybody disagree?

Curly68
    Free Member

andrewh – I use ebay a fair bit and they charge me monthly for their fees and using paypal etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oldgrump, I've got the following

Rukka Goretex XCR trousers and jacket, used
    Wolf two piece kangaroo leathers, worn about twice
    Daytona Gore tex boots, used
    Oxtar sports boots, nearly new
    Alpine Star gloves
    Oxford Tank bags, large and small
    CBR1100XX-W sub frame, new powder coated
    CBR1100-W swing arm
    CBR1100 swing arm for the injection model
    Stage 1 dynojet kit for CBR100XX-W
    Oxford bike cover (not sure of size, used on Honda Hornet)

Used to be a motorcycle instructor but packed it in now.

Also got a quantum F arai lid but I wound't expence a lot of interest in a second hand lid.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I'm looking for a L jacket (40-42), possibly trousers, gloves and boots. If you're interested in selling other than ebay please mail me – getting back into riding 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Oh, fees collected monthly, not a monthly fee.

Cheers Curly, you had woried for a while there. Not used it for ages and was wondering what kind of dficit I would have run up.

Just shows what I think of them, that I would believe something like that!

jonb
    Free Member

I find it good for getting stuff from China and Taiwan. Anyone else know where to get things like carbon components etc. for anywhere near the cost?

rs
    Free Member

agreed, i try and avoid it completely now.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Only use it for buying now. The last item I sold someone used for a week then wanted to return for a refund and left bad feedback.

Rare to find deals there buying too.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Classifieds can be the same though. I sold some brakes a few weeks back on here, 3 weeks later he emails me telling me he wants his cash back, doesn't think they're as powerfull as they should be, he's ridden them twice just to make sure though!

Smarty
    Free Member

all auction listings have disappeared off ebay tonight. only 'buy it now' formats can be viewed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yep, I'm getting peeved off with it too, which brings me to….how do i take an item off before I sell it? Up to now it's got no bids but I've literally changed my views on Ebay & have no intention of giving an XT front mech away.

alexonabike

I've got a bike on there at the mo that I couldn't shift on here and need the cash to fix my van.

Problem is that it doesn't show up in the searches with 12hrs left to go 😯

Still got 80 watchers and 19 bids – I just can't work out how they found it!

Not looking forward to the fees, but it's a means to an end.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

alex, don't build your hopes up. I had a F/S frame on a couple of weeks ago, with just hours left I had 37 watchers & bids up to a massive £69. I thought, 'great, can't wait for the flurry of activity near the end' as I was hoping for about £150 +.
    Got £89 for the bleeding thing. (less sellers fees) Wish I'd kept it.

alexonabike

Bad luck mate,

Well its at £308 now and I had it up for sale here for £450 so fingers crossed it will make £400.

But still – ITS NOT COMING UP ON THE SEARCH NOW! how is that gonna help!

Northwind

Screenshot it or fraps it, and send it to ebay, if it's not listing properly then they may refund you- I've had this myself, complained and got a full refund of listing and seller's fees, even though it still sold.

druidh
    Free Member

What's the bike, I'll see if I can find it

alexonabike

Surly steamroller

druidh
    Free Member

Smarty – Member

all auction listings have disappeared off ebay tonight. only 'buy it now' formats can be viewed.

Jeeez – you're right. What the **** is going on?

druidh
    Free Member

What Northwind said. Get in touch with ebay and let them know what's going on with no auctions showing. I'll have to do the same on Monday as the shop has some stuff on for auction and it's not showing either.

alexonabike

Where did you find that quote druidh?

rich-6
    Free Member

Alex pull it, Somethings up with it at the minute and they are trying to resolve it, If they cant sort it in time it'l sell for Sweet FA

druidh
    Free Member

alexonabike – Member

Where did you find that quote druidh?

A few posts higher up….

alexonabike

oops, oh yeah 🙄

Seems we're not alone.

druidh
    Free Member

You're never alone on STW…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘is it just me or has ebay gone down the pan?’ is closed to new replies.