• This topic has 102 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Is it just me or (Emily Batty @ Canyon content)
  • rOcKeTdOg

Does this video do nothing for Canyon’s sizing scheme?

Bike looks far too big for her

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKpqTjDHTuW/?igshid=zwfe77sym50z

Admittedly it is not slowing her down at all

jonnyrockymountain

Don’t know, wasn’t actually looking at the bike 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

I think she has struggled with bike fit…. I think they don’t make one for her off the peg.

Look at this insanity from the previous sponsor:

Needs to have a bike made for her I would say.

lardman
    Free Member

Bike? There was a bike?

qwerty
    Free Member

She needs a reverse mullet, 27.5″ in the front to get the front end down & a 29er in the rear for faster rolling speed.

The Trek looks wrong, the Canyon looks better.

Welcome to the world of short legs.

qwerty
    Free Member

If we’re talking unasthetically pleasing bike set ups:

And that’s a 29er!

daiboy
    Free Member

Jaro the Giant!

oldtennisshoes

That’s not a pretty bike

nickc

At least it’s not the normal output of her in perfect make-up “just after a work out” insta feed…

qwerty
    Free Member

I think that picture of the Canyon above is the one taken after the team car drove into a height restrictor.

b33k34

I think they don’t make one for her off the peg.Look at this insanity from the previous sponsor:

Is this a real issue or a bike that’s set up for a pro rider on a particular course?

XC races are won on the climbs. On some courses there’s very little flat seated riding. Getting the front end low on a 29er small frame is difficult.

So you’ve got the saddle pushed forward to give a super steep seat angle and a reverse stem to drop keep the front low. (Chris Porter runs his saddles like that even on a Geometron) It might look odd but it’s about performance not aesthetics.

An less flexible amateur rider out for longer days in the saddle would have it very diffently.

rOcKeTdOg

it just looks like she used the “what size bike should i order” feature on the canyon site and it did what it always does to me and coughs up a size of bike i’ve not ridden my whole adult life.

chakaping
    Free Member

German brands have a habit of making their bikes a bit tall, I’ve noticed.

Perhaps she’s choosing frame size based on reach, as is the trend these days.

Might be why she looks a bit titchy on it.

nickdavies

Does it? Looks just right to me… but then my xc bike is probably set up very similarly.

Obviously i had to watch it twice to form that opinion 😂

OwenP

Look like normal XC race bikes to me. The bike in that small a size would probably look more in proportion if it wasn’t on 29 wheels, so clearly she thinks there’s enough advantage to that wheel size to put up with the stack height compromise and risk of contacting the rear wheel when getting weight back.

The bike industry always seems to struggle to scale bikes towards smaller or taller riders – just find a pic of a tall riders xc bike back in the 26 days.

Northwind

OwenP

The bike industry always seems to struggle to scale bikes towards smaller or taller riders – just find a pic of a tall riders xc bike back in the 26 days.

I think in the modern age it’s slightly more that they don’t struggle to make bikes that work well but do struggle to make them look good, and also to make them work well for their top end racers and other users. In a racing situation, looking awkward but working well makes sense, and if you’re doing “sell the same bike we race” then it also makes sense to make tweaks to the racer’s bikes like weird shaped bars or seat position etc, as long as it works, rather than making permanent frame changes to suit a couple of riders that don’t work as well for the paying customers.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Really torn with how I feel about Emily Batty.

Yes, she is a talented athlete but the “insta and makeup” side of her life is something I really struggle with.

I’ve always viewed people who wear such huge levels of makeup and continually have to portray such a measured and clinically perfect image as people who have HUGE self-esteem issues.

I can’t imagine waking up in a bothy/tent/on the side of a mountain and feeling that I HAVE TO spend an hour putting on layers of makeup before I feel strong enough to get on with living the day. (and yes, I am a bloke and I dont have the same pressure to look good BUT there are also many women out there who put practicality and performance above looking “‘mazing” and perfecting a trout-pout, yet still look beautiful and feminine – my wife for one.)

Emily herself has talked at great length about her self-esteem struggles and I feel for her BUT the bit that I struggle with is how she equates wearing makeup with “beauty” and “womanhood.”

The fact that women can be “women” without the makeup, women can be “women” without wearing pastel colours and women can be “beautiful” without spending 3 hours in the bathroom preening and plucking has complete bypassed her.

She has in the past talked about her makeup being her “war-paint.” Something that helps her get her “game-face” on in preparation for an important race etc but I really struggle with her narrow view of what a “beautiful woman” is. It’s a strange type of feminism, I think.

Also, I’ve watched a number of videos of the trips she has been on (notably her latest one to Iceland.) I get the feeling that unless she has a crew to attend to her every whim, then she would be up poo creak without a paddle. She always seems to have a willing bunch of people who are ready to step in and fix things for her whether that be cooking food or finding a misplaced sleeping bag whilst she does a piece to camera about how “tough” and “stressful” it all is.

And this is all on the back of her being an amazing athlete! Which she undoubtedly is! and clearly having the tenacity and resilience to compete at an elite level.

A very complicated character, I think.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wish I was a simple character but at least I don’t have strangers on the internet analysing and judging my every move.

kilo

Really torn with how I feel about Emily Batty.

Yes, she is a talented athlete but the “insta and makeup” side of her life is something I really struggle with.

We were at the Canadian xc championships a few year’s ago, after the race Batty spent ages chatting to kids and signing auto, a local we were chatting to said she was well known for that.
    I can’t imagine why she might have self esteem issues as a talented racer, oh wait…

Don’t know, wasn’t actually looking at the bike 🙂

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused. Never heard of her but she seems to be a bike racing professional…and then people are on here questioning her choice of bike size??

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’m having a hard time with the criticism here, people talk about toxic masculinity and all the bitching going here is from blokes…
    I mean she’s riding bikes that are probably not small enough for her, at a much higher level than all of us. and she posts pictures of herself. She wants to keep the sponsorship going, all power to her. Does it have to be any deeper than that.

Trimix
    Free Member

She is very short – I met her in real life and she seemed even smaller than she does on the telly.
    I reckon all bikes look too big for her.

Kuco

Emily has posted in the past about her anxiety and depression, has mentioned spending time by herself training alone in Arizona.

I don’t get why people have issues with the way Emily Batty looks or get critical because she has a can of RedBull next to her in the photo’s, especially when sponsored by the company but so again does Kate Courtney. She does work at grassroots mountain biking, encouraging children and more females into the sport. IMO she’s a great ambassador for the sport and hope she does well at this year’s XC.

ayjaydoubleyou

I wish I knew how to post screenshots but all the times we actually get to see the bike in that video in the op the bike looks perfectly normal and fitting the rider? What am I supposed to be seeing?

qwerty
    Free Member
    jkomo

I am no expert, I tend to buy whatever bike or frames are on sale and put up with them.
    However, I have a feeling she knows what she’s doing.

honourablegeorge

That post by Simon above is possibly the most pathetic thing I’ve ever read on here. Criticising her for how long she spends in the bathroom, FFS, as if he has any idea.

She likes to wear a bit of make up. Who cares?

velocipede
    Free Member

I think the Canyon looks a better fit, personally.

Ref some of the slight negativity above, I’ve always been impressed with her – great ambassador and I read somewhere that she’s the highest paid female XC MTBer (or was) – that will be for a reason!

mjsmke

Welcome to the world of us short people! Small frames look better than large frames in most cases. I love that straight line made from the top tube and seat stay you get on small frames.

To the people complaining; its probably jealousy because shes a better rider than most people here. Leave her alone.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

There’s a lot of camera lens distortion in that video, making her, the bike and the trees look stretched out in all directions. The wheels aren’t even round! In other photos it looks like a better fit than the Trek above, assuming that’s the final setup. Be interesting to see how she does, can’t help but think Canyon lost someone really outstanding in Pauline and gained…well recent results speak for themselves.

jkomo

On the topic of Canyon sizing, my riding buddy entered his particulars into the online calculator, it actually said his shape was not possible, and accused him of being sub-human.
    I of course agreed.

footflaps

She’s hard as nails.

Raced the 2012 Olympic course after a crash the previous day, covered in bandages and with a broken collarbone.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cQ5QHL]Emily Batty, Canada, 24th Place Women's Olympic Mountain Bike Race 2021[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

I do the find the makeup thing a bit odd on FB, but it’s just not my thing.

crikey
    Free Member

Simple sexist Simon…

Trimix
    Free Member

I think is sad that people feel they have to wear paint to make them look better.

windyg
    Free Member

I think the above comments above are very wrong as well, she went and raced her 1st marathon race in Lanzarote last year with no team support only her brother, did really well top 3 if i remember even after having nasty crash. Saw her a few times and seemed to very chatty and sociable to everyone and was just behaving like any other rider out there.
    So what if she has make up on.

jkomo

Why the flip do people think that they can write this stuff. She wears make- up, I mean, so what. Just because she rides bikes she has to fall into some category of person.
    I find all of the criticisms of her appearance and choices unacceptable. I don’t really follow racing, but is she not an incredible athlete?
    It’s like reading the comments on a daily Mail website.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wow – comments ranging from the mildly lecherous to the downright offensive.

Retarded crap like this is part of why women’s cycling struggles for the space, funding and airtime that it needs.

Next we’ll be back to ‘why doesn’t Sanne Cant smile?’

****ts

DezB
    Free Member

Only ever seen a few racing photos of Batty, except for the sections featuring her in this film
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/going-in
    She seems pretty cool and great with the fans.
    Checked the op’s Insta thing and bike looks fine apart from at the beginning where the angle makes the back wheel look huge. NIICE ARSE T?HOGUH EHA LADS! PHOAR!!

ampthill

I think we have to let people be who they are. I personally like the Shauna Coxsey approach to body image on Instagram.

She posted a shot, as an example of a bad hair day. She was was criticised for showing creases on her stomach, in the photo, that made her look fat. So she reposted it drawing full attention to said creases pointing out that as a professional athlete her body fat was about as low as you can go whilst healthy and creases are how people bend.

But that doesn’t mean I’m going to criticise Emily fur doing her make up whilst cycling across Iceland. It’s her life let her live it.

On the bike fit

If your a professional cyclist who has been third overall in a world cup season and you’ve been supported by 2 pro teams and your partner is a pro cyclist I suspect the subject of bike fit has come up at some point. For whatever reason this is the current best compromise. I’m not surprised that she went with works over looks good in side on shot with no rider.

mehr
    Free Member

A very complicated character, I think.

For someone who just wrote paragraphs about a woman wearing make up, if the shoe fits

Another stellar thread, for the STW is a hive of misogynists and racists archive

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or (Emily Batty @ Canyon content)’ is closed to new replies.