Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Is it just me? An old age thing?
  • flossie
    Free Member

I’m in my last few months of being a forty something but I find myself increasingly irritated by things which I wouldn’t even have noticed a few years ago. Let me elaborate….

Shouting at the radio adverts ‘No your not being ‘nice’ you ba***ds, you’re only interested in profit!’
    Having a desperate urge to take down the vinyl banners which seem to adorn fences and roundabouts.
    Taking great exception at bike journo’s using terms like ‘cockpit’ to describe a pair of handlebars.

Does anyone else find themselves getting increasingly grumpy and intolerant with age?
    Go on, what gets your heckles up?

jekkyl

inversely I find myself giving much less of a shit as I get older. 41yrs old.

nickc

you are becoming a curmudgeon. stop now before it becomes a chronic condition.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tommid
    Free Member

No, just you.

tommid
    Free Member

I think we all feel like that from time to time. As I get closer to 40 I find so much more harder to swallow.

DezB
    Free Member

i’m like it all the time, not any worse now I’m in my 50s. It’s PEOPLE. Can’t stand em.

CountZero

There are quite a few things that wind me up, but none of the things that are rubbing you up the wrong way are things that really bother me in any significant way.
    I’m 62.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t get me started! People who social media the arse off a bike ride.

First mention that we might go out for a ride and suddenly Facebook is awash with “gonna smash it” “shit got real” and similar bs. Actually, we’re just going for a ride around the peak like I have done for the last 25 years.

We ready?
    Hang on, just need to get a GPS signal and start strava. I’ll just tweet my bike against this gate before we start.

**** off, I’m going for a bike ride.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’m 36 and have gone through phases of feeling like that, but I recognise it’s not healthy for me (probably isn’t) and work at staying calmer.

It seems to be that most things annoy me less than they did, while a small number of unimportant things like people suddenly stopping while walking along supermarket isles irritate me a bit more (I put that down to being aware of getting older and losing a parent over the past few years and feeling like I need to ‘get on’).

While ambling along in my philosophical teens, I decided that the self can be viewed as being like a garden, with the nicer parts of the self or healthier ways of living needing cultivating like plants can do.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Buddhism feeds on facebook are helpful for this kind of thing if you’re on fb btw, I find they can seem to get absorbed over time, helping me to be more chilled.

Edit: It might be worth looking at whether you’re happy or not? I’m always more pissed off at things when I’m less content – just a shot in the dark though.

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s probably something to do with being Mr Pea! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Sometimes I get angry easily, sometimes I don’t, depends on my mood. It is one of the standard depression markers when you fill out the questionnaire for that – one I actually tend to mark myself highly for. Though I’m not sure any of the things you mention get me wound up and I’m almost as old as you. Is your mental health OK or worth getting checked out? Or just talk about things a bit more on here?

scaredypants

I’m with Dez on this – it’s **** people, that’s what

tjagain

I get irritated by stuff but I have learnt not to become angry about it. I completely understand why you get angry about the things you do. For example I remove flyposted banners around the area I live in often returning them to their owners with passive aggressive notes. Its actually stopped folk from doing it. Reported a few repeat offenders to the council who have put enforcement notices on the owners.

the secret is to avoid the anger. Be annoyed by it fine – stuff you can do something about do that thing. If you can do nothing about it ignore it.

Bear
    Free Member

People who shorten words ’cause they can’t be arsed to type them, like journalist to journo……

aracer
    Free Member

People who shorten words for ironic effect and overextend their ellipsis’s

tjagain

I do that one bear – but its ‘cos I can’t spell. Some words take me multiple goes to get right so I avoid them tho I acknowledge your irritation. I often don’t even get close enough for the spell-checker to suggest the right word

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i’m 42…..defo getting more grumpy but don’t really give a shit about anything as long as i ride my bike(s)……did i mention i’m single! 😀

seadog101

I get very grumpy, according to others, when expressing any negative opinion. Others seem to have leave and licence to be miserably pissed of all the time, yet are not being “grumpy”.

This makes me grumpy.

orangeboy
    Free Member

37 and far less forgiving than I used to be. I put it down to 20 years of working in shops and dealing with the ” I’m an engineer and this is not fit for purpose ” type people.

Escaping for a rise helps no end

HughStew

I think people get more like their real selves as they get older. Cheerful people get happier, relaxed people more chilled, curmudgeons more curmudgeonly. There may be an underlying reason that you’re getting angry, or you may just be an angry person who’s getting angrier as you get older. 😉

I was miserable in my thirties and early forties because I was married to a terrible wife (who is now a good friend), but since then I’ve just got happier, less stressed and more optimistic. In my fifties now and quite looking forward to being older, apart from the arthritis.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I reached what felt like a milestone recently by thinking that some kind of being at peace is possible even in the midst of uncertainty. The ‘bank of dad’ helps’ during austerity and shaky employment opportunities, but finding that life is hell if one has feeling at peace reliant on all things in life being sorted and that peacefulness can be found even when it isn’t felt like an important realisation. Hard to find at times…

wilburt
    Free Member

No your correct, we’ve had thirty years without natural selection and its beginning to show IMO.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nah, not an age thing at all.
    I’ve been grumpy and intolerant since i was 15, still going strong 20yrs later.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Don’t forget:

Pot holes
    Boy racers
    Parking provision and the arbitrary rules
    Anything loud
    Anything fast or too fast for you to cope with, why’s everyone in such a rush
    Road markings/signage
    Anyone younger than you
    Punishments for everything and everyone else but you
    More rules and laws you can never have enough of those
    Any tests or exams need to be harder now you don’t have to do them
    Anything subsidised or free you benefited from in the past should now cost
    High interest rates for your savings
    No blue or coarse language
    National service (you know for our vast empire) for everyone but you
    Pension rises while everyone else gets pay cuts
    Oppose any new building anywhere without a valid material concern
    Exaggerate and lie about deaths being prevented to backup BS arguments.

Once these issues are resolved we will get Great Britain back.

chewkw
    Free Member

flossie – Member
    Does anyone else find themselves getting increasingly grumpy and intolerant with age?

Your reaction is normal because you see them through your experience in life. You see them coming so be at ease with yourself.

Go on, what gets your heckles up?

Most of the TV adverts get on my nerves really especially those trying very hard to be funny or politically correct.

stgeorge

Not just you I fear, my children are constantly either laughing at me or telling me off for shouting at the television..

but I enjoy doing it more and more as I get older (late fifties)

DezB
    Free Member

Talking of TV, I still haven’t got used to those bloody “Sponsored by” extra adverts every decent programme seems to have now. Very hard to skip over. No I’m not going to buy a pissing VOLVO or crappy LEXUS just cos I see one of the shitty things every half an hour.

Stoner
    Free Member

There’s a new series of the very excellent documentary on the condition just started on Radio 4. Highly recommended, and covers a number of coping strategies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r5ck/episodes/player

kayak23

jekkyl – Member
    inversely I find myself giving much less of a shit as I get older. 41yrs old

They call this the lull.
    🙂

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Onza Dog, Bingo!!! I though it was just me being overly impatient with people.. which i am!

Another one is filming every bloody thing and sticking it on FB etc even though it’s mediocre at best! In my simple mind its people bragging about great their lives are or more so, how they desperately want other people to think how great their lives are! The whole social media phenomena baffles me, it really does! I was in Manchester city centre last weekend and in my student days it was absolutely rocking, but from what i saw groups of people go out together and then spend their night staring at the screen. I just don’t get it?!?!

….i feel like i would be better off living up a hill away from everyone totally off grid!

Dez B, yup and theres another! Corporate branding over everything! They’ve even weasled their way into festivals and events i would term non mainstream.

It’s all noise and i could do with being a bit more buddhist about it all!

Anyone trying to sell me stuff (apart from Santa Cruz and 5:10) are flogging a dead horse. At the age of 39 i feel like i’ve heard it all before…all bull5h*t!

Houns

Agree with the vinyl banners…. Network rail did some work nearby replacing some fencing, have to say it was a good job. Within a day someone had zip tied an absolute eyesore of vinyl banner to it advertising some sort of local football league/venue. Every day for a week I passed it and got narked by it… So much so that I went out one night with a pair of snips to take it down and bin it, however when I got there I found someone had already beaten me to it 🙂

skellnonch
    Free Member

Pointless bits of paper

Buying a coffee and given a receipt

Buying a coffee at Mc D’s, being asked if I want a receipt, answering ‘no’ – then given one anyway, in that ‘wrap it round the cup go on have it‘ technique

ton

got to be honest, I am 50 now, and I don’t give a monkey’s knacker about stuff nowadays.
    I care about family, friends and cycling/ale.

stressing about things out of your control is bad.

scud
    Free Member

My “gripe of the day” (it’ll be different tomorrow), people that take a photo of their frickin meals and post it on Facbeook/Twatter/Instatwat, i don’t give a monkeys what you had for your tea!!

….and those Betting company adverts before and after every ad break on Dave at night!

yunki
    Free Member

I used to be very passionate about stuff I believed in and I’ve always been the first to consider direct action and confrontation as the most appropriate course..
    I’ve always vehemently opposed authority, social injustice and oppression, and actively sought excitement and adventure..

These days I’m much more meh about stuff and am quite happy to bimble along provided that I don’t encounter any individual that is directly opposing my freedom, and I enjoy a quiet life..

So from that I guess that as we get older, we all start to adopt attitudes that we have previously neglected.. It’s learning from our past mistakes innit

As for those minor irritations….. life’s too short and no-one likes a whiner

Sandwich

Buying a coffee and given a receipt

Not pointless, they like to demonstrate that they will be paying a levy of some size to the tax people. The ones to be wary of are the people with an open till that ring up one in five or fewer transactions.

spursn17
    Free Member

BOGOF and 3 for 2 deals. I don’t **ck**g want two or three, just sell me one for a reasonable price you gormless halfwits as I don’t buy anything and just go somewhere else that does! Rant over.

Tesco is bad for this.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve become so much less annoyed and ranty since I started meditating. Just doing mindfulness training, 10 minutes a day with the Headspace app. I can’t quite understand how I coped without it! I was in a queue of spectacular staff incompetence and customer selfishness at my local Sainsbury’s at the weekend and instead of getting annoyed I enjoyed some breathing and focus exercises. Much happier for it!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Welcome to my world.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me? An old age thing?’ is closed to new replies.