Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is it just marketing…?
  • jamj1974

After Chipps’ words in the latest issue what is the STW consensus on 650b/27.5. Marketing or true evolution…? Let us keep it simple.

Do you agree 650b is marketing over true performance enhancement – yes or no?

big_scot_nanny

Yes.

big_scot_nanny

It is driven by bike firm lifecycle management strategies, undoubtedly.

That doesn’t mean to say it isn’t worth having the choice.

boxfish
    Free Member

S’ all marketing, innit? They’re fishing for business. Just a question of your taste in bait.

lemonysam
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

Bilderberg conspiracy….

jamj1974

Lemonysam. 33 or 45 RPM? Belt or direct drive,

br
    Free Member

Surely it’s 27!

soobalias
    Free Member

yes marketing.

and better to market the loss of mud clearance from an unchanged frame with slightly bigger wheels in the summer, than during the rest of the uks seasons where the chainstays will rub through in months, requiring replacement.

*ride a 29r frame with 20″ wheels next season

Kryton57

Yes its evolution, but mainly marketing.

Global business is and has been in downturn of late. So, how do you enthuse customers and investors to part with their money? You come up with something new and innovative that they can believe in, then market and sell the hell out of it.

26′ wasn’t going to ignite the steady dribble of volume sales, and other technology attached to 26 is too expensive to mass market and sell (adaptive shocks for example) to anything other than the top tier.

A company I know of that has spent the last five years trimming itself down to increase cost efficiency and report higher margin, hss now realised that investment in effective Sales and Marketing surround new innovation is the only way out to create increased revenue.

Et Voila.

But as said above, its good for us all to have a choice (as long as the spares list keeps up).

wl
    Free Member

Only person I know who rides both (a guide who rides loads) says it’s utter rubbish – difference is negligible. I’m quite happy to take his word for it.

Sancho
    Free Member

But as said above, its good for us all to have a choice (as long as the spares list keeps up).

Give it two years and the spares list will dry up, thus forcing the consumer to invest in the new technology, same with 9, 10, 11 speed etc

ampthill

The longer view question is if 27.5 is marginally better than 26 why not change. Why would we make bikes with a slightly less good wheel size for the next 100 years when we can change.

That said I’m sure the people who are most keen are in the industry

ampthill

26 spares will not dry up in 2 years. You can still but 27″ tyres!

Oh and I currently run bikes with 6, 8 and 9 speed blocks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If we’re questioning the role of marketeers in cycling then why stop at MTB wheel sizes? That is the tip of a very big iceberg really. What about ridiculously priced clothing and apparel? Different materials for frames? £200 saddles? A range of 5 or more rear derralier models? A plethora of energy and food products? The fact that despite all the significant advances in materials and design technology they still can’t make parts that last anywhere near as long as they did 20 yrs ago? Ridiculously short service intervals for suspension (when did you last have your cars suspension serviced?), tyres costing the thick end of £50, and we could go on and on…..

amedias
    Free Member

Give it two years and the spares list will dry up, thus forcing the consumer to invest in the new technology, same with 9, 10, 11 speed etc

I call shenanigans on this!

hodge

The latest IMB editorial is worth a read, better than Singletrack’s

Northwind

It’s not just marketing, there’s a difference. But yes it is only marketing/industry demand that pushes it forwards, it’s not rider led by any means.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What the dachshund said.

bikeneil
    Free Member

ampthill – Member
    26 spares will not dry up in 2 years. You can still but 27″ tyres!

You may be able to still buy old tyre sizes, but you can’t get the range choice. I’d think that new ranges of 26″ tyres, wheels, forks etc will start to be dropped from manufacturers new products…

Cheezpleez

27.5 is not marginally better than 26, it’s marginally different.

The difference between different and better = marketing

matt_outandabout

Aristotle
    Free Member

There will be lsight differences, but I somehow think that most people would notice much more difference/improvement by losing a few kilos, getting fitter and/or practising their technique than by buying an expensive new bike with slightly bigger wheels than their old one.

What I’ve observed over the years is that the good riders ride well whatever bike, wheel size, gearset, suspension etc. they happen to be using. Likewise for the not-so-great riders….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is it just marketing…?’ is closed to new replies.