Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Is it against the law to chuck a fag butt out of a car window?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

just wondered whats the chances that our underfunded cops would pull me over?

richmars

Not sure but it should be.

ollie
    Free Member

Wouldn’t It be classed as littering?? If not, It should.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Littering is an offence but no doubt you and your selfish idiot ilk will contiunue to get away with it.

Why not flick at a passing cyclist? 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes. Its a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act.

EDITED for atrocious typos.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Troll.

philconsequence
    Free Member

that’s it just flick your burning cigarette ends at children’s faces!

wont somebody please think of the children!?!?!

DezB
    Free Member

Surely it’s illegal to chuck anything out of a car window?

LHS
    Free Member

I call Troll

midlifecrashes

Drivers get annoyed when you catch up at the next lights and pop them back in the open window

dazzlingboy

Dropping fag butt in Edinburgh = fixed penalty £50 fine although I wonder just how often this has been imposed.

trailertrash

Dropping fag butt in Edinburgh = fixed penalty £50 fine although I wonder just how often this has been imposed.

work colleague of mine was fined for this here in edinburgh 3 years ago

tree-magnet
    Free Member

As a smoker:

1. Why would you smoke in your car? I used to, then when I gave up (for about a year) I got in a smokers car and realised how much it minged. I stop for a smoke now. In fact, I don’t smoke anywhere indoors now. It’s my choice to smoke, I’m not going to give others the pleasure, they aint paid! 👿

2. Why not use an ashtray? They’re all over the place, and if not, knock the head off it, check it’s out with your fingers and put it in the bin?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tree he’s too busy/important to have the time to do that!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

What about a Wotsit?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

In America it certainly is!

bigyinn
    Free Member

When i smoked I never smoked in my cars because it makes them stink and tends to turn the headlining yellow.
    I got some silly cow flicking a fag butt out of the window as I was cycling along, nearly got me in the eye.
    Plus i’ve nearly burnt the seat when a butt blew back in, EEEEK!

odannyboy
    Free Member

whoa…backlash!!
    fwiw i dont drive a lhd car so cant see how im gonna hit cyclist and innocent bystanders. i have the window open while puffin and then leave them open a crack when parked at work to avoid the niff.
    i dont chain smoke in there but gotta get to work and wanna smoke in the morn. dont smoke in the house if thats any better and when i did at a mates recently it just felt plain wrong! im planning to quit in the spring and am even more inclined to now i know im the spawn of satan!!

jon1973
    Free Member

but gotta get to work and wanna smoke in the morn

I don’t have a problem with you smoking, but why not use the ashtray? Even if you don’t hit a cyclist or pedestrian with it, why do you think it’s alright to leave fag butts on the road for someone else to clean up? Same goes for any smoker who throws their butts on the floor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Crikey, it appears it was not a troll 😮

OP, it’s just unaceptable, sto being lazy and selfish.

piha
    Free Member

Question for the OP – who will pick up all the fag butts that have been chucked out of car windows? 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

odannyboy? Why not try and throw the butts through the windows of other passing cancer stick loving motorists?

GrahamS

Definite troll.

But yeah I hate seeing folk hurling fag butts out the car or casually dropping them on the ground when they are finished. What the f£&@ is wrong with such folk?

The “smoking area” in our car park at work is ankle deep in fag ends by 6pm. Surely even the smokers must see that this is minging? Or is it some kind of dirty protest?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Question for the OP – who will pick up all the fag butts that have been chucked out of car windows?

Tramps?

Pieface

I don’t see how it isn’t littering, the fact your in a car should make no difference, in fact it should be a greater offence as I’m sure it could be construed as driving with undue care and attention as well if one wanted to apply the law quite vehemently.

Pieface

Deadlydarcy has a point.

Often see people (not necessarily tramps) scrounging our fag bins at work.

That is proper minging

user-removed
    Free Member

Slowly raises guilty hand 😳

I used to lob mine out of the window because I didn’t want my car to smell like an ashtray.

Then one day I was driving through Glen Shiel on my way to Skye, having a rollie. Glen Shiel is absolutely stunning – all rocky outcrops and looming mountains on each side. There’s a real sense of history too – there was a bloody battle fought there and I always get a chill imagining having to slaughter the enemy on the steep, snow-covered slopes.

Anyhoo, on this particular day, the driver of the car in front threw a carrier bag of rubbish out of his window which disgorged crisp and sandwich packets, apple cores and all manner of crap.

I started flashing my lights at him and gave him a few toots of the horn, just to let him know it wasn’t on. Disgustedly, I sucked down the last of my tab and went to flick it out the window – then stopped and thought on….

Now I use the ashtray in the car, and it stinks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

don’t worry, your car probably stank anyway!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

in america chucking a fag butt out of the window is quite a severe offence.

GrahamS

Anyhoo, on this particular day, the driver of the car in front threw a carrier bag of rubbish out of his window which disgorged crisp and sandwich packets, apple cores and all manner of crap.

Ooooooh that makes me mad 👿 what an utter utter cock. I’d have been very tempted to give the local bobby a call for that.

Also FWIW fag ends are NOT biodegradable. They are basically plastic fibres. Plus they are designed to catch and contain various harmful toxins from the tobacco, which means when a bird, mammal or fish mistakes them for food they are effectively poisoned.

binners

I smoke in the car purely to disguise the smell of my seemingly ceaseless explosive flatulence. It really does hum something rotten

LeeW

I think dripping* a cigarette out of the window is an offence too.

*Flicking the ash off the end.

You used to be able to go on the Keep Britain Tidy website and report drivers for this and other littering offences. Not sure if anything comes of it though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, raises hand…used to do it years ago.

Then one day, I was in the Westbeach shop in Bristol buying some boarding troosers. They were giving away this little tin with a well sealed swivel lid on it so that you could dispose of your ciggie butts and carry them down the mountain without everything stinking.

I just started using it in the car instead. Flick ash off (I don’t think the ash and bit of baccy is that serious a litter problem) with wet fingers, keep butt in tin, dispose later. Worked just fine.

Thing is, once you modify your behaviour to “do the right thing”, instead of making you feel better about yourself, you just end up getting wound up by those who are too lazy to do the same 😀

maccruiskeen

When people refer to smoking being a ‘filthy habit’ its not the yellow teeth, its the trail of crap smokers guiltlessly leave behind them. It seems as if no matter how much people enjoy smoking they find the fag end repulsive and can get rid of it quickly enough, as if the fag end is more repellent than any shame of being seen to chuck it

It always amuses me how smokers find ashtrays disgusting – you had the fag in your mouth a moment ago, put it in an ashtray and suddenly – that stinks, can’t have that near me.

GrahamS

They were giving away this little tin with a well sealed swivel lid on it so that you could dispose of your ciggie butts and carry them down the mountain without everything stinking.

Yeah, saw them in Oz where folk are more careful with fag ends due to the bush fire risk.
    35mm film canister also works very well.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

One of Damon Hill’s pet hates is people throwing fag ends out of cars. When he was a motocycle messenger and he saw a driver doing this he used to stop, pick it up, catch up with the car and throw it back in the window. Brilliant!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thing is, smokers are an increasingly marginalised section of our community. When you push people to the margins, they will act in a desperate manner. Would you walk through the slums of Kolkata and remark “Oh my, how do they live like this?” Yet, you expect smokers to behave like everybody else? Jesus Christ.

Pieface

I think we’re talking about a small number of smoker littering, the fact that they’re smokers has little to do with it, its just the litter happens to be fag ends rather than sweet wrappers, coke cans, mcdonalds wrappers and sadly no longer the jazz mag

binners

It always amuses me how smokers find ashtrays disgusting

The thing is, its not that we find it disgusting. What happens if you put ash-trays out is that non-smokers then use them as mini-bins and fill them up with recipts and crisp packets and other detritus. Watching someone do this has the same effect on an average smoker as buggering their mother in front of them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Is it against the law to chuck a fag butt out of a car window?’ is closed to new replies.