Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is it acceptable?
  • Premier Icon monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

That a house being built next to my place has scaffolding poles which rest against the side of my home?It is only six feet away but I don’t think this going to be a very pleasant experience for myself.Any experiences or advice would be welcome.Thanks.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Premier Icon footflaps

You should try living in a terraced house, both sides have had extensions (as have we).

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

As long as you don’t add further annoyance, such as riding motorbikes all day, and not posting all over youtube, then you might get away with it.

Premier Icon tjagain

Not without your permission I would have thought – where is the boundary? Have they gone over your land to erect the scaffolding?

IIRC its a complex area of law tho. When my building was done some of the scaffolding went right up to the next building but did not touch

Premier Icon geordiemick00

They should have asked, out of courtesy but probably don’t incase they’re denied permission.

They’re only using your house as a way of grounding the scaffolding securely, it won’t harm your house.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Cirtainly should have asked first……

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Atleast it makes shitting down their chimney a doddle.

Premier Icon monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks matt,very grown up response

Premier Icon tjagain

it won’t harm your house.

but it will mean much more noise transmission surely?

Premier Icon mmcd

Have you got a party wall agreement?

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

They’re only using your house as a way of grounding the scaffolding securely, it won’t harm your house.

If it’s resting on the building there is a good chance of rubbing, if it’s bare metal against the building there’s a good chance of rust stains.

I’d have a word.

Free Member

I,m in an end terrace new build.I think I,m in for a couple of months of noise.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Noise you can’t do anything about – disturbing or damaging your property you can…. First off have a friendly chat with the builder or owners. As mmcd said – is there a party wall agreement?

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Is there any protection between the wall and the scaffold pipes?
    If it’s the ends of the pipes,vibration from structure could leave marks on your wall.
    Oh and , They should have asked.

Free Member

Thanks chaps.I’ll wait and see what happens.

Premier Icon jam-bo

As mmcd said – is there a party wall agreement?

wouldn’t there have to be a party wall for that? doesn’t read like there is.

but they should have asked, although my experience of scaffolders is getting them to do what you actually want can be a challenge…

Premier Icon footflaps

Have you got a party wall agreement?

As there isn’t a party wall, I would guess very unlikely.

Premier Icon benpinnick

You’re going to wait until what? Some damage happens?

Wonder round and ask them to move it. There’s nothing in it for you and frankly nothing in it for them either. The scaffolders are likely just being lazy. The last thing the site foreman would need is you coming piling in for reparations to your house. He’ll just call the scaffold co and make them move it.

Premier Icon dovebiker

I presume there’s protective, plastic end-caps over the scaffold poles that touch your wall? If not, I’d insist on them being fitted – even if it means they have to move the poles – common courtesy and they should have asked before starting.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

No it isn’t acceptable. Your property doesn’t exist to provide support for someone else’s scaffolding.

And you don’t need to have a shared wall for a party wall agreement.

Premier Icon ads678

Thanks chaps.I’ll wait and see what happens.

If you don’t speak to them now they won’t know you’re concerned, then they won’t be concerned. I’d rather them make sure they don’t cause any damage rather fix damage later.

Premier Icon andybrad

tell them to move it.

Premier Icon nickc

Is it ever acceptable to ever use third person pronouns?

Premier Icon Rockhopper
    Free Member

You don’t have to have an actual party wall to require a party wall agreement. The boundary is enough.

Free Member

It’s social housing,I’m not a home owner.Its my social housing provider that’s commissioned the new builds.Their attitude is suck it up and go somewhere when the news gets unbearable. Complaints about bad practice fron builders only results in further problems.I guess I need to just hope there finished soon.Thanks for your replies.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

Is it ever acceptable to ever use third person pronouns?

I thought that the OP had enough problems without me calling down the wrath of the grammar gods over his abuse of a reflexive pronoun. Ordinarily though, such a transgression would be completely unacceptable.

OP, if it is your landlord doing this to their own building, I don’t think there is much you can do unless your accommodation is rendered uninhabitable.

Free Member

footflaps,how did you cope with the disturbance and inconvenience?I,m finding it very difficult after weeks of problems.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.