Is it a bad year for ticks?

Home Forum Bike Forum Is it a bad year for ticks?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is it a bad year for ticks?
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I’ve had two this year. That’s a record low for me.

joolsburger

I seem to be pulling loads of the little sods of my dog. Also they seem to leave a large rock hard lump after he has been bitten is that to be expected?

hebridean

Not had as many on me this year as in previous years but the dogs are still picking them up on most walks. If you treat the dogs with anti-tick treatments the ticks generally die and drop off before they leave big lumps on the dogs. If you use a tick remover you have less chance of leaving the head of the tick in the dog. Now is around the peak time for adult tick activity and it will begin to tail off as the weather gets cooler.

JEngledow

I’ve not had any, but a Gamekeeper friend of mine was diagnosed with Lyme Disease last month following a tick bite 😯

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Finding ticks on the dog is competitive business in our house with a five bar gate scoring system on the kitchen door…total this year: 12. I’ve found 7 of those making me currently the Tickfinder General 😀

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I have only had one this year: again, a record low for me. But I have been using lots of smidge as ticks do not like that either…

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

This is the first year that I’ve not had to remove any ticks from my dogs. They usually pick up loads, but they’ve managed to avoid being bit.

Premier Icon eat_more_cheese
    Subscriber

2 here, from one ride in the arrochar alps. West coast highlands last year seemed crawling with the little feckers

zelak999

I’ve had 3 this year, bloody parasites!

stox

4 here. Got special collars on now until the weather changes .. Hate the bloody things!

gears_suck

Joolsburger.
    The hard lumps that are left after removing the tick from your dog is either an allergic reaction to the enzyme the tick uses to prevent blood at the point of the bite from congealing or a infection from mouth parts left behind as a result of not removing the tick properly.

nikk

on legs as well as arms / face, PLUS

to remove the feckers if you get any

= good change of winning.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is it a bad year for ticks?’ is closed to new replies.