Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is indoor climbing exercise or entertainment?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Thought I’d put this separate to the main Covid thread.

Nottingham is going into Tier 3, but gyms and indoor exercise are not shutting – yet.

The Nottingham Clip’n’Climb have announced they will be remaining open and their Facebook page has gone a bit nuts with people saying it’s an entertainment venue and it’s shocking that they are trying to figure be a way to make money and bending the rules.

I know Clip’n’Climb may not look like a traditional climbing wall, but it never occurred to me that it might be considered an entertainment facility by people like a soft play centre, rather than a place to get some exercise. (A mate with a more traditional wall refers to them as the “gateway drug” 🤣)

My personal view is that if gyms can stay open with the required safeguards – and let’s keep that as a separate debate – I don’t see why climbing walls shouldn’t be the same? They can enforce social distancing, mask wearing, household groups, sanitising etc just as effectively.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Exercise, no question.

Folk moan about all sorts of shite.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Safer than a gym in general imo. This is where the distinctions become difficult.

Daffy

My arms ache more after a climbing session than after a gym workout. Exercise and therapy.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

exercise for sure. i climb a couple times a week – we have to wear a mask when we’re doing anything other than climbing, the PA pops up occasionally to remind us to do so, and to socially distance etc.

I don’t think it’s the ‘safest’ environment ever, but (without starting another debate), for me the risk is worth it in terms of my physical, social and mental health, that I’m happy to go frequently.

Also, as I see it, if Covid is coughed on to the holds and thus on to my hands, when they’re covered in chalk the last place I’m gonna put them is in my mouth or eyes!

martinhutch

Also, as I see it, if Covid is coughed on to the holds and thus on to my hands, when they’re covered in chalk the last place I’m gonna put them is in my mouth or eyes!

If you use liquid chalk, that will sanitise your hand slightly between climbs. The risk of transmission is more about exercising and exhaling hard in close proximity to others for a sustained period than it is about keeping your hands clean.

Quite a few climbing walls I’ve visited aren’t exactly the best ventilated places.

rugbydick

I did hear anecdotal evidence that climbing chalk kills COVID (maybe it absorbs the moisture from the virus, or something like that…)

No idea whether that’s true or not. But I’d definitely not be sticking my hands near my face when they’re covered in chalk.

And to answer the OP – climbing is definitely exercise.

grahamt1980

Def exercise, am more knackered and aching after a good bouldering session than most other things

funkmasterp

Exercise that entertains!

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Also nottingham based climber/biker

Clip’n’climb is IMO analogous to a soft play center
    Proper climbing wall is closer to exercise.

If either should be allowed, or one allowed and the other not… presumably the gov is following the science with the distinctions on what is allowed and not and it’s fine to go to the gym, or concert hall, but not a beer garden with a mate ;-0

toby1

Clip and climb looks more colourful and kid friendly so I can see people being confused. I’d be amazed if the people complaining had given it a go though rather than used it as a place to wear kids out. Climbing of all kinds is definitely exercise in my book!

dashed
    Free Member

Don’t confuse Clip & Climb with regular climbing walls 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Exercise.

But disagree with this point:

Safer than a gym in general imo.

I would expect it to be less safe. People moving round more and no chance of cleaning surfaces .

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

The risk of transmission is more about exercising and exhaling hard in close proximity to others for a sustained period than it is about keeping your hands clean.

My tongue was hovering slightly near my cheek with that comment 😉

Drac

Both.

jolmes
    Free Member

My body would def say its exercise, my son of the otherhand thinks its hilarious when I fall off the wall or jump from the top.

I’m pretty certain clip ‘n’ climb is aimed at children though and places like that, trampoline parks etc the parents dont see their children as exercising but a place to take them to have fun and entertain them and kill a few hours. I can say after a 3 hours toddler session at the trampoline park, my son is knackered and I’ve already had to retreat into the cafe twice for a coffee and a sandwich to recharge.

Tallpaul

Took my lad to our local clip n climb on Monday (we’re still Tier 1). It’s 100% exercise and very good exercise at that, because he enjoyed the challenge so much.

zilog6128

Isn’t Clip n Climb just for kids? If so it’s a play area & yes should close – kids can just run around a park if they need exercise!

If on the other hand it’s somewhere adults can go on their own then it’s a gym and should remain open. Went bouldering last night & can really feel it this morning 😂

MoreCashThanDash

If on the other hand it’s somewhere adults can go on their own

It’s this, but I guess most adults choose to go to a wall that looks less Fisher Price.

Did make me wonder if those complaining had taken their kids and then just retreated to the cafe with their phones.

The Nottingham one has been very vocal about enforcing distancing, masks etc on it’s FB page, though a Scout leader I know went to check another branch out and said it didn’t meet the Scouting risk assessments so it got ruled out as an option for this term.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is indoor climbing exercise or entertainment?’ is closed to new replies.