Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • is hi-fi emporers new clothes..?
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

I just can’t understand why people would listen to music through a computer

What, like a CD player?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Yes just a like a CD player, just like I quite frequently use my Kettle to search the internet.

Torminalis
    Free Member

erm… a CD player is basically a computer. Not sure of your point.

Seeing as you are clearly unsure of mine, I was just suggesting that listening to a CD player is quite comparable to listening to a computer in that they have many common components and very few see a great issue with listening to music from a CD player.

What is your reservation about listening from computers? I can understand if you are a vinyl purist but otherwise, I don’t understand.

donks
    Free Member

Not read the previous but Yunki I feel your pain mate.

I was once the proud owner of several hundred (i think decent) vinyl albums a beaut of a Quad stereo and some damn nice KEF speakers with a Linn Turn table. Kids and wife put pay to my hours of “loud” music interface until one day those fateful words were spoken ” your’e getting rid of that eye sore”. the ayatollah had spoken and the sound systems days were numbered.

Now we have a Vita audio docking thingy that I cant bring my self to look at much…..although to be fair it does have a DAB which nowadays is about all I get to listen to, and 6 music seems to play most of my old collection.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People should look at the Tivoli stuff as well if they need to down size.

I heard a setup at a hifi show with the supplemental speaker and subwoofer and it was pretty good.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I was aware of your point that yes on a basic level a CD player may contain some components that also exist in a Computer playing a CD.

The difference being a CD player is designed to do one job and one job alone which is convert Digital to Analogue it does this with the minimum of fuss to let the Amplifier do it’s job and in turn let the speakers do theirs.

A computer on the other hand was designed not to do this, is essentially a rather large calculator and therefore has to be doing a million other things at the same time as making the digital turn into analogue…let alone the fact that it will be passing through an amplifier stage designed for output to headphones. 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

That all rather depends on what sort of computer you are running.

My HTPC has all the DAC outsourced to elsewhere, I have a WASAPI filter running in my player to ensure that there is a bit perfect reproduction of the source material to the digital outputs, it has a variety of connections and can be easily upgraded/modified as required.

If anything, my computer is a better source than a CD player, it has fewer moving parts, an isolated power supply, is more configurable and can play dozens of different formats.

I would never go back to shiny bits of plastic.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Each to their own.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Each to their own.

+1

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘is hi-fi emporers new clothes..?’ is closed to new replies.