Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • Is hanging a flat panel TV on the wall "pleberian" (sic)?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough then! You’re 8-10 feet away while watching, height has never bothered me, and I watch films etc not for the sound effects! Cable tidying is to be resolved soon…and the new bracket may tidy it away better.

hora
    Free Member

Centre/focal point of a room for me are pictures/photos :mrgreen:

stevehine

tbh I thought the biggest upgrade I did in terms of enjoyment from watching films was to put in a decent speaker system. Although moving to a detached house where I was no longer worried about the volume level was a close 2nd 🙂

silvermatt
    Free Member

Centre/focal point of a room for me are pictures/photos

Get the best of both. Have a massive flat panel tv and leave it on constantly with an image of your choice when you’re not watching normal tv. You could even take a picture of the otherside of the wall and hey presto a new window!

TiRed

The downside to my setup is the number of button presses on 3 different remotes you have to go through to switch from one source to another

Humax PVR remote controls PVR, DVD, Amp (with source and video switching) and Plasma TV. Projector is by hand and screen on a different remote. The PVR remote also sets the lights.

My Pioneer is above the fireplace because 1) It is too big to fit in an alcove.; 2) We bought it for a previous house. 3) It is the best picture quality for ANY TV source – nothing comes remotely close.

And no, I won’t be chasing the cables into my Victorian brickwork, but I do have some nice architrave trunking that hides the surround sound and projector cables. The speaker cables below are now also hidden.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this is the boys toys room. The living room has a wall mounted 32″ Samsung LCD and a cables that hang down in a cable tidy that matches the walls.

hora
    Free Member

Nice period features 🙂

Why not paint the chimney breast a different colour?

Mines a very inky dark dark blue.

clubber
    Free Member

cos that’s what pleberian’s do.

hora
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

wwaswas

we’ve got posh wallpaper on the chimney breast.

We wanted to look middle class but couldn’t afford to paper the whole room.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

What colour have you done yours clubber?

hora
    Free Member

I must admit it wouldn’t look ‘right’ on djaustin’s.

I’ve got a Day’do? rail and coving however the day’do(sp) only covers 3 of the 4 walls so the chimney breast is uninterrupted.

clubber
    Free Member

Mines a very inky dark dark blue.

yunki
    Free Member

I love the Laurence Llewelyn Bowen aspirations that are being displayed on this thread..
    who would have known that STW was home to so many closet interior designers luvvie..?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

LOlz @ clubber.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d like to break into Lawrence LooseSwelling Bowels’ house, and do a Dirty Protest.

It certainly will be a Five Minute Makeover….

clubber
    Free Member

oh, you’re still here Fred… I did wonder who the ban bomb had been targeted at.

I always figured you’d be a fan of LLB but then I picture your flat as being like this 🙂

Just with more Lego and RC helicopters.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’d like to break into Lawrence LooseSwelling Bowels’ house, and do a Dirty Protest.

This is no place for sexual fantasies.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I picture your flat as being like this

😯

It’s actually more like this:

No, seriously. Ask Bullheart.

does not in any way help with a big pile of Psychle’s left behind bike stuffs cluttering up the place as well as all my toot, I can tell you.

joolsburger
    Free Member

TiRed

We have a very modern glass extension on the back with a “feature” bright green wall. Most of the rest is white base and magnolia-ish. To be honest, it was like that when we moved in, and the fittings just cover the holes 😆 . We did paint the fireplace of our previous modern house a nice shade of green.

What it doesn’t show is the projector screen mounted to the ceiling… Beamax remote 213cm. It’s fantastic! ANd with high ceilings, you don’t notice it when stowed.

EDIT: if you look closely at the previous shot top LEFT, you can just make out the hanging mains flex from the screen. It’s not a big deal to be honest, and as I said. I’m not chasing Victorian brickwork, at least until we need a major decor update (probably never!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

@stevehine – TVs are ugly, I don’t want to make a feature of mine, that’s why it’s low down and there’s a decent feature in the room…tv blends-in-ish to wall colour, centre speaker is dark too…all the opposite of yours..why don’t you like mine then?

Sorry, got to agree with stevehine on this one, it overlaps the fireplace and is so low down it looks like you couldn’t figure out where to put it so just threw it in down in the corner. Added to that, it overlaps the fireplace when put away, which means neither ever look pretty. I thought for a minute you were going to surprise me with a wonder of modern bracketry and TV placement, alas I’m stuck with what looks like a caravan space saver solution 🙂

hora
    Free Member

djaustin

Jackie Chan project A

The best fight scene from 2.58 onwards..(and better than almost every movie ever) IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIrD47suPS8

Gawd I’m a move geek :mrgreen:

binners

hora – Member

Centre/focal point of a room for me are pictures/photos

I thought it was the life-size gold statue of me naked, other than for a gas mask! What have you done with it? Thats a conceptual piece. If that’s out in the garden sunshine, there’s going to be trouble!

hora
    Free Member

binners I have built a Sistine chapel tribute to you on my bedroom ceiling.

molgrips
    Free Member

Telly isn’t a valuable aspect of life though, it’s more like visual morphine designed to dull the wits and pass the time quicker in the evenings so you don’t have to talk with your family

Some of it is, and some people treat it that way.

Some of it however is excellent and fun.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The less tv I watch the happier I am…this correlates with:

the more cooking/exercise/reading/internet surfing I do.

BlobOnAStick

For those who have mounted their TV on the wall and routed cables under the plaster, what cables have you put in place?

I am having an extension built and want to take advantage of the opportunity to put cables in place.

I’m planning to have Sky box, Xbox, Wii and a media player of some sort (or maybe just stick with the Xbox) in a cupboard/separate room and want to make sure the installation is fairly future-proof.

I’m thinking that I should run a satellite co-ax, HDMI,2xCat5 or 6 cables and IR relay through the conduit. Any suggestions or anything I’ve missed?

coffeeking
    Free Member

For those who have mounted their TV on the wall and routed cables under the plaster, what cables have you put in place?

2 power sockets, 3 hdmi, TV antenna and 2 scarts. Somehow jammed into a sunken 25mm conduit.

stevehine

I cheated – it’s on a stud wall; so there’s a whopping big void you can get your hand in and run whatever cables you fancy 🙂

petrieboy

4x HDMI, a good quality VGA, decent SCART, couple of 3.5mm jack plugs (one used for an IR repeater to control the sources in the AV cupboard) there’s also a bunch of cat5 cable as its cheap and may become usefull in the future.

ojom
    Free Member

The less tv I watch the happier I am…this correlates with:

the more cooking/exercise/reading/internet surfing I do.

Like us now. We unplugged the aerial and shoved under the floor.

Use the laptop for catchup and series/borrowed dvd’s from Al.

This is from a man who used to install home cinemas up to about £100k

Gone from loving it to hating it.

Seeing as we are showing our tv’s – here’s my set-up.

Quite meagre in comparison to some and I have no way of positioning my speakers correctly (i.e. spaced far enough apart), which is another shout for wall mounting.

Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Is hanging a flat panel TV on the wall "pleberian" (sic)?’ is closed to new replies.