Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Is Goretex still the go to breathable membrane?
  • mrmoofo

Different uses … I won’t spend more than £20 on a MTB waterproof as they don’t remain waterproof after a crash anyway. Once they are covered in mud the breathability is crap…

I’m happy to spend much more on waterproofs but wouldn’t dare ride them riding.

Which was my mantra- i also sweat like a racehorse – so I am not sure how much breathability helps.
    Hence the flouro mountain whorehouse special

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s any higher than the others. The main benefit is it just works and lasts years, I’ve had GTX jackets last over 10 years – the DWR goes and they wet out quicker, but the membrane stays working.

Be ready for failure soon…. I have a Goretex Phoenix race ski jacket from when I raced DH SKIING in Canada and its a team issue momento as much as anything now. After something like 11-12yrs the goretex just fell off as powder.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve not been impressed with Goretex or event, neither seem any better at keeping water out than own brand membranes. In fact a Goretex Active jacket I had clearly leaked through the fabric.

I wish Decathlon did riding jackets out of the same stuff they make their Quechua walking jackets from. Had one of those for a few years and the water always beads on the surface without ever having been reproofed.

+1 for Rapha also, I got a team sky rain Cape (jacket) a few years ago cheap and again, one of the most consistently waterproof jackets I’ve had despite minimal after care.

What I wouldnt give for a circa 1997 Rab waterproof though when they used to use both Nikwax analogy and a separate membrane in tandem on the same jacket. Amazing jackets, I still have one but it’s a bit too big nowadays.

molgrips
    Free Member

In 25 years of owning breathable waterproof jackets I have never had the fabric actually leak. They get damp on the inside, but this is sweat not rainwater. I suspect that some of you are expecting that which is not possible. I mean breathable jackets do breathe, but nowhere near as much as an MTBer generally sweats. This means that you will NEVER be dry. I mean I’m never dry MTBing, cos I am always sweating regardless of what I am wearing.

The breathability of Goretex and most other jackets depends on the difference in tempearature and humidity on either side. So when it’s mild and wet outside (like it usually is here) they don’t breathe anywhere near as well as when it’s cold and dry. eVent, some Endura fabrics, and the good stuff from Showers Pass actually has tiny holes in it so it’s unaffected by humidity.

jkomo

Millets have some Gore jackets with big savings in their sale.

mrmoofo

Okay – so after the last few days … I want a waterproof, breathable, well vented jacket (or can be) that doesn’t stain with South Downs mud ….
    Moon on a stick??

didnthurt

I bought a Gore C5 jacket for my CL300 ride and it was perfect, it rained a lot that weekend and I was nice and dry throughout. It is cut very athletic which I like on the bike, less so for walking. Arms are perfect length, the tail could do with a touch more drop though.

I’ve also the MTR spray pullover jacket and the quality, fit, robustness and arm length are miles away from the Gore jacket but is significantly cheaper.

didnthurt

Top tip (IMO), always wear a long sleeve baselayer under neath to help the jacket wick away the sweat, if you make that layer thin merino then even better.

igm

Daft one for the folk saying you can’t wear a camelback on top of a delicate waterproof.

Since I lost weight, and partly because I already had a Goretex packlite I my pre-weight loss size, I started wearing a camelback vest under my waterproof.

Works well in the rain (slightly more air circulation space) and fantastic at keeping muddy spray off your tools, food, phone, bite valve/water.

YMMV.

zerocool

So you can’t wear a camelback on top as it’s too delicate, but a huge heavy walking rucksack is ok?

Spin
    Free Member

Top tip (IMO), always wear a long sleeve baselayer under neath to help the jacket wick away the sweat, if you make that layer thin merino then even better.

My experience of merino is that it wicks very poorly, dries very slowly and that a decent synthetic is far better for any activity where you sweat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So you can’t wear a camelback on top as it’s too delicate, but a huge heavy walking rucksack is ok?

I can see the issue there, grit and shit getting splashed up onto the bag and jacket, and the constant vibration between the two from biking. Not an issue when hillwalking.

molgrips
    Free Member

Basically what Nobeer says – mud splatters all up your back when biking (even if you have a mudguard, to some extent) and this wears waterproofs out in no time.

Of course if you have the option to ride packless, which is all the rage these days, you’ll preserve the life of your jacket. But whatever you do, don’t get dirty then put your waterproof on over the top of the dirt, because then the mud gets ground into the fabric from the inside which will trash it in absolutely no time, as I’ve found to my cost.

cynic-al
    Free Member

they wet out quicker, but the membrane stays working

Once they wet out they aren’t breathing tho (if that’s what you meant, they remain waterproof).

BadlyWiredDog

If you want really good breathability, Polartec NeoShell or TNF Future Light, which is a very similar technology based on micro-engineered, spun PU.

Gore-Tex isn’t far behind these days and generally more durably/reliably waterproof over time. GTX Pro is a very good balance of breathability, lightness and toughness, but a really noisy fabric and mostly used for top-end mountaineering shells. Active is slightly better for breathability and quieter, but less durable.

ShakeDry comes in a a couple of different versions, the lighter, original one is fragile, the heavier version was developed for hiking use and is tougher, but still not exactly bombproof.

What you do get with Gore-Tex is decades of obsessive development work, really tight quality control and testing of every element of every fabric and hands-on control of factory standards. It also has a lifetime warranty, so if it leaks, take it back.

OutDry is like a much tougher, more durable ShakeDry. Doesn’t wet out, but is a lot less breathable ime.

Anyway… different fabrics suit different people and fit, design, cut and features are all important too.

mrmoofo

After all of this I decides to,go cost effective – and bought a waterproof MTB jacket from decathlon. Seemed good spec on paper.
    Delivery service from Decathalon was awful – nearly three weeks – and itnhasnjustnbeen sent back.
    Nice fit, nice cut, colour ways okay … but
    It has a back and underarm vents – which you cannot seal. The vent itself is about 1 – 2 cds of overlapping fabric under the arms. And about 3cm son the back.
    So if you are cycling east, in the usual SDs westerly wind , the water will be blown through the vents. Making it not at all waterproof.

Anyone used Alpkit waterproof jackets ?

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Is Goretex still the go to breathable membrane?’ is closed to new replies.