Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is Friday new bike day then?
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

So I got the frame last Friday and most of the build done in the glorious sun of last weekend, after some Front Derailleur and IS/post mount confusion and waiting on the some bolts to mount the rear brake, finally finished and ready to ride this weekend, just in time for the rain.

First time i’ve build a bike from a frame and my first steel bike, also my first attempt at invisframeing wasn’t exactly super smooth. Perhaps needs some colour bling stem to alleviate the sea of grey,…but i like the low key theme . Sunday looks good for a ride though.

superstu
    Free Member

Very nice. I like it.
    Would chuck a dropper on though but personal preference and all that

Yak

Looks great. Get out in the filth tomorrow and you’ll get over that ‘ooh, it’s new, so i’ll be careful’ approach quicker. Then go and give the beans on sunday too 😀

Anyway, 1st rides are usually interrupted affairs as you’ll be stopping to fettle this n’that or adjusting contact points. By the good weather on sunday, you’ll want it dialled.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

slightly concerned about the weeds and the pointing on that wall but the bike looks great!

dumbbot
    Free Member

It’s definitely getting a dropper, it’s just with 190mm from top of the seat collar to the saddle rails at pedaling position it’s going to be tight for some brands of dropper to get a 125 in,

The Ks LEV integra is 176mm of clearance and i think the new Crank brothers highline one is the same one (125 drop + 50mm stack) if someone could clarify that?

https://www.crankbrothers.com/blog/introducing-the-highline

I also can’t find any technical documentation for the new RSP Plummet Stealth to figure out if i’ve got enough clearance, i can get this for £90.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=147&pg=19812

binners

Thats very nice. Theres nowt looks better than a nicely put together steel hardtail, but Stantons in particular are truly lovely things

michael01
    Free Member

Its looks very nice i like it.

6079smithw
    Free Member

yes

dumbbot
    Free Member

Thanks, my rubbish phone photo probably don’t do it justice…it is still a grey bike though. Here’s another for posterity 🙄

Stantons are lovely, their colours are truly a class apart and I agonized long and hard between the lush red and grey. I’m not fast enough to ride a red bike, and its probably more likely to get stolen, grey it is.

I’ve sent some emails regarding droppers, so hopefully i’ll bosh one of them on soon.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dark varnish on the woodwork? Hells bells. Bonny bike though

dumbbot
    Free Member

The tree is dead and only the trunk remains, need to preserve it or I’d have nowhere to hang my hammock for the 1 day a year its actually hot enough.

funkmasterp

Nice tidy border, but not keen on the industrial fencing. The bike looks great though. I think Stanton makes some of the best looking hardtails out there. I’d love to own one at some point. Have fun 🙂

Wookster

Lush, I really like that fella!

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Ooohhh lovely, I really want one of these and been waiting for some non studio pics for a while, so thanks.

What size frame is that ? 16.5 or 18, it looks quite small?

dumbbot
    Free Member

It’s a 16.5″….I’m 5.8″ on a good day with a 32 inseam for reference.

Anyway first ride today and taking the new bike googles off for a second, I’m guessing not all steel frames are created equal but i’m surprised at how light it is and at how much the steel really does smooth things out, its palpable. Not happy with my ride position though, the 60mm stem is off, and wondering if i could go for wider bars.

needs dropper, pronto.

rOcKeTdOg

Front Derailleur

😯

dumbbot
    Free Member

That’s right princess, not all of us have got money to throw at silly fads 😉 FD warrior

rOcKeTdOg

Not all of us need the superfluous gears & the weight penalty that goes with them

dumbbot
    Free Member

Don’t see why i’m trying to justify my build to the 1x nazi’s.
    One of the reasons that the Stanton was chosen was the ability to transfer over my existing drivetrain and keep the cost under control, its as simple as that…cost. With the versatility of the Stanton frame I have no doubt this is but the first incarnation of this bike, but i’m not in a rush to upgrade to 1X anything until i’ve tried it..

Just say nice bike and tell me how poor the garden looks, there’s a good chap 😆

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’ll restore the balance.

Looks gorgeous! Garden needs a bit of a tidy though.

How you finding the sizing on it? I’m a pretty similar size to you and about to buy the same bike.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice toy!

rOcKeTdOg

You’d be a lot less touchy without all those chainrings to fret over 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

Nah, im always a grumpy arsehole.

As for the sizing, i’m happy with it. I wanted a comfortable, fun, all day, do it all bike…it’s my only bike, so has to do everything. At 5’8 i’m right in the middle of the Small/Medium sizing for the likes of the Cotic soul and Stif Morf which i also thought about.

Ive mentioned above about the standover clearance i’ve got at 190mm of seatpost, so running certain brands of 125 dropper will be tight i.e the new TRS+ requires 195mm…..where as the new Crank Brother highline only 175mm

and if you’re wanting to run one of the longer 150/170 thats not going to happen. I’m not very gnar so that doesn’t bother me, 125 of drop is fine by me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is Friday new bike day then?’ is closed to new replies.