Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is exmoor rideable on 1×10?
  • rob2
    Free Member

Thinking of going up from Dunster castle across and up Dunkery Beacon and back at the weekend. Is that rideable on a 1×10?

I’ve not been there before. I’m not massively fit or unift and can do the quantocks on 1×10 (just).

thepurist

My experience of Exmoor is that most rides include some pushing for most people. It’s a bit more severe than the quantocks but you might be lucky with your route.

acehtn
    Free Member

If going up from the edge of Dunster, up the end of Grabbist, thats a tad steep for any gear.
    There is a more gentle path off the back road to Minehead, head up to butter cross, then turn left before that, and pass the graveyard, turn right and follow path up to the top, much more gentle that way. Once on top flattish, with a long gentle climb on fireroad. Couple of options down to Wooten Courtney, one pops out next to the village hall and the Dunkery Beacon Hotel, loose and lumpy fun from memory, there is a small village shop with quirky opening hours, or try the hotels bar.
    Couple of routes across and up to webbers post or go long and head to the iron pits and up to the beacon.
    When you hit tarmac, you still have loads of climbing left 🙂
    If a nice day, expect an ice cream van at Webbers post, tea shop down in horner, you might find an ice cream van further up, maybe not.

If tired when heading back, get to Wooten Courtney and stay on the road, as you leave the village turn left onto a back road, fairly flat gentle pootle back to Dunster, this goes behind Knowle riding school, and down to Avill farm and pops out at the edge of Dunster, very close to a pub, this is a single track back road and fairly quiet, expect to bump into horse riders from Knowle. If you follow the road round to the right you have a steep junction that puts you on the main A road, expect to play with traffic doing 60+ on the main road.

Depending on how fit you are, it’s doable on singlespeed, many do a bit of walking 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rob2
    Free Member

Cheers. Was going to go up grabbist hill but not sure now!

acehtn
    Free Member

Years ago it was a case of all shuffling about at the top to see who would go down first 🙂
    Getting a clean run down without falling off on rigids with canti brakes was a good go.

Never tried to go up it, you could loop back round to the graveyard and back up that way.

Oh handy hint, if using the pay and display carparks, or time limit free parking, council outsourced parking attendants, they really love dishing out tickets and fines 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

Was there at easter using 1×10, 11-42 with 34 chairing. Got up all the climbs I tried. Ellicombe to grabbist, brockwell to dunkery and Selworthy up to Selworthy beacon. Was hard going at times but definitely doable. Oddly it was the first time in years I’d cleaned the ellicombe to grabbist climb.

oxym0r0n

If going up from the edge of Dunster, up the end of Grabbist, thats a tad steep for any gear.

Ridden up this a few times on a 29er 1×10 32 and 11-36. Cleaned the really tricky bit once but dabbed last time 🙁 Also rode Wootton Courtenay to Dunkery on same bike last weekend. (Just sayin’ 😉 )

Not easy but dooable

The descent down to the village hall in Wootton Courtenay:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nCgqHh]IMG_0432[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

rob2
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Next question, hardtail or full sus? (26″)

ceepers

Whichever climbs best!

Not been to Dunkery but all the bits of exmoor I have been to are easily rideable on a hardtail, including the britains best singletrack bits from mbr

acehtn
    Free Member

Pinch oxym0r0ns bike 🙂

Must go back and see if that climb has mellowed over the years….. 🙂 good go for doing it though, i don’t know anyone who has gone up, we always cartwheeled into a tree rode down it 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is exmoor rideable on 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.