Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is ebay with a 1p start the best place to sell an old car?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Haven’t flogged a car for ages, last time I did it I just chucked it on ebay autos with no reserve and a 1p starting price. Is this still the best method?

Facebook market place is now a thing obviously, but worried about time wasters – at least with ebay when it’s sold it’s sold.

Any scams to watch out for?

Edit: forget to say, it’s a pretty old very basic car though in excellent nick. My dad’s old 2005 Ford Fiesta with 76k on it – for reasons best known to himself he just MOTd and had it serviced!

sharkattack

All I know is that I just sold a van and I was getting around 50 views a week on marketplace and 100’s per day on ebay. The van went to the first person from ebay who came to see it and there was no hassle.

It wasn’t an auction, I paid 15 quid for a classified listing. Well worth it in my opinion.

for reasons best known to himself he just MOTd and had it serviced!

That’s definitely a selling point for me. Make sure you mention it.

doomanic

worried about time wasters – at least with ebay when it’s sold it’s sold.

Not my experience by any means. It just means someone might turn up and if they do they’ll try and get you to drop the price.

si77

Think I’d just put a stealth ad on here instead 🤔

Ewan
    Free Member

Think I’d just put a stealth ad on here instead 🤔

I almost forgot to!

Call me a cynic but I don’t think IT trackworld is going to be the prime market for a 16 year old fiesta 😀

Doomanic – i’ve only sold 2 cars on ebay, but both went without any issues. My old merc 190 (260,000 miles on the clock) was bought by a lady who was going to ship it to Iraq!

Pz_Steve

The last two cars I sold were via eBay and Facebook Marketplace respectively.

The eBay one was listed as spares or repair with an honest listing and a photo of the MOT failure sheet(s). The winning bidder turned up with his idiot father who tried to haggle me down. In the end I threw in a spare set of alloys (probably worth £100, if I’d ever got round to selling them), just to get them to take it away.

The Facebook one got a couple of nibbles on the day it was listed, and sold that day for £100 less than asking (and £200 more than I was expecting).

Appreciate that this isn’t a statistically significant sample size (and there are plenty of people with the polar opposite experience), but any harm in advertising on both??

duncancallum

Location and cost.

I get asked for cheap cars all the time

FB-ATB

For a rough idea run the details in webuyanycar- you may be surprised, the car market is a bit silly at the moment.

jkomo

Perfect first car- how much you hoping for.
    Both my boys learning.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’m near Newbury. I was going to shove it eBay for 1p and figured I’d get somewhere around 800.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you’ve got a rough figure in mind just put a buy-it-now price. You’ll get plenty of interest.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I don’t think IT trackworld is going to be the prime market for a 16 year old fiesta

Perfect first car- how much you hoping for.

😅

rockandrollmark

If you do put it on eBay set the start price at something that discourages people asking if you’ll swap it for a PS2. I’d personally start the bidding on something like that at £200 to weed out the cretins.

Northwind

FB and Gumtree attracts more timewasters for sure but it does give you good visibility and cheapness. And I think a different audience to FB?

I sold my old Focus with a start price of “scrap value plus the diesel in the tank”- good photos, a short description and then an absolutely over the top, everything-I-know-about-this-car description kind of walled off at the bottom, it’d be a turnoff for most buyers to have that sort of detail which is why I made a short and long one, but basically is why it sold for way more than it ought to have. I’d do the same again I reckon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is ebay with a 1p start the best place to sell an old car?’ is closed to new replies.