Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is driving like this legal?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it would depend on if they are secured inside somehow. If not dangerous driving, so prosecutable.

somouk
    Free Member

So long as it doesn’t protrude beyond the exterior footprint measurement of the car it should be fine.

If it does then stick a hi vis on it and hope plod don’t stop you 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Stick them through your sunroof?

Northwind

Well if riding like this is ok…

bencooper
    Free Member

Have I shown you my neighbour’s bike rack yet?

Zimmer Bike Rack by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

sputnik
    Free Member

I will try putting lengths of wood through the sunroof next time and see how it works.
    And that that Zimmer bike rack…. I’m lost for words! 😯 😀

KonaTC

No worse than this as the rack makes the van 9″+ wider

project
    Free Member

Sputnik , according to Newton, him of the apple fame, before it weas hijacked for a computer, stated that I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Meaning that if the timber is traveling at say 30mph, and the vehicle stops fast,the timber may well carry on at the same speed.

An idiot in a pickup decided to drive down a 1 in 7 hill round here with timber sloping ontothe ladder rack, un secured, he braked and according to the driver behind, the timber launched itself over the cab into a car coming into the opposite direction, result a massive fine and points, and had the van taken off him by his boss.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have done similar in my mx5

lazybike
    Free Member

See plenty of planks in cars……

aP
    Free Member

Isn’t that load carrying now called the Cracknell way?

hs125
    Free Member

Possibly another option: Try reclining the passenger seat fully. With one end of the planks in the footwell, you may be able to fit them inside the car, maybe resting on something in the boot to raise the other end up. Safer and no doubt a lot warmer if you are going any distance.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I guess it would depend on if they are secured inside somehow. If not dangerous driving, so prosecutable.

Hardly. DD would be for driving offenses, surely you would be got under construction and use regs instead.

Either way, it’s stable, wont come out unless you’re in an accident and doesn’t protrude far, it’ll be fine.

the (Road Vehicles) Construction and Use Regulations 1986 indicate that loads must be secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than their own weight, so they don’t present a danger or nuisance.

Cougar

Have I shown you my neighbour’s bike rack yet?

😯

The frame’s not the shocking thing there, so much as the entire thing’s load will be borne by the windscreen wiper.

IanMunro
    Free Member

the (Road Vehicles) Construction and Use Regulations 1986 indicate that loads must be secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than their own weight, so they don’t present a danger or nuisance.

I think, and it’s purely conjecture, that this is exactly why it has the possibility to come under dangerous driving. It says the load has to be secured so it doesn’t present a danger, if it isn’t, and presents a danger – by default it comes under dangerous driving.
    Looking at the angle of the wood I imagine it wouldn’t come out, but at the end of the day in the worst case you may have to argue that with plod / CPS

kayak23

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

v8ninety

It’ll be fine. Done far dodgier.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It looks like it blocks your near side mirror and a bit of the view out the side window, which can of course create a significant blind spot..

seba560
    Free Member

It looks like it blocks your near side mirror and a bit of the view out the side window, which can of course create a significant blind spot..

Fortunately god gave us necks and a brain to help us use them.

mattsccm
    Free Member

And I though 6 canoes on top of an old Mini was good. Rope around the lots, through the sun roof and belayed to the passengers seat. All 6 paddlers in the car as well.

CountZero

The Zimmerman bike rack is a thing of beauty! Heath Robinson would have been so proud! 😆

duirdh
    Free Member

“Car jousting?”

hmm.. seem to remember a boy down the pub telling me this was all the rage when he were young.

You’ll never win with such short wood.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is driving like this legal?’ is closed to new replies.