Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Is China about to give Britain a kicking
  • aP
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone in here (except for the Russian bots) wants the UK to fail. However, the direction the country has been led/ manipulated over the last 10 years or so results quite appropriately in a high level of cynicism over our current leadership and their capabilities added to the uncertainty of the post January 2021 future.

Riksbar

aP. Its just the consensus that I get from a lot of threads on here, it always seems people actually want the UK to fail, I find it strange. Some of the talk of opium wars, gunboats, empire, wetherspoons above sort of reinforces that in my mind.

It seems to me that they are frustrated by the current failures of the U.K. government, and want more reality based policy making which will show real benefits. At present we seem to be suffering the results of exceptionalism, and this is storing up problems for us down the line.

By its nature the legacy of empire is a mixed one around the world, and remaining blinkered to this hinders our modern day relationships, not helped by reference to things like Empire 2.0.

footflaps

Russia have done more damage to us in the past 10 years than the USA, EU or China.

Yep, only country to have deployed Nuclear and chemical weapons on British soil….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

it always seems people actually want the UK to fail, I find it strange

I think it’s the natural reaction to deeply held jingoism, anti-jingoism I suppose.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Its just the consensus that I get from a lot of threads on here, it always seems people actually want the UK to fail, I find it strange.

You get the wrong consensus.

I see massive frustration at the cynical self serving leadership who have manipulated the lowest common denominator into believing the UK is the biglyest most besty awesomez and doesn’t need the rest of the world, because foreigners and dambusters and stuff and build a wall and hide from everything and go la-la-la-I-can’t-hear-you.

Whereas we could have had a decent leadership who prioritised cooperation with allies and neighbours and this would sigificantly enhance the standing of the UK within the local power block, who in turn would also be stronger for our playing with them.

So now we’ve told our nice friends who played nicely with us to go do one and have tried cosying up to a couple of big bullies who look at us like we are the next meal. Europe is now the A and C ark, we’re the B ark. And it sucks.

I don’t want the UK to fail. Its home. I love the place. It has a lot going for it. True, lots of problems. But we are our own worst enemy. I want it to wake up and stop going the wrong way and vote in some decent leadership who want to fix the problems and not shit the whole place up.

Marin
    Free Member

If it could dish us a kicking we should just take it and move on. The Chinese are a horrendous abuser of human rights and attempt to bully any country that questions them.

kelvin

Surely we are doing China a favour…

See… we love the UK (well, I do)… just because we don’t go in for this kind of nonsense doesn’t mean we’re anti-UK, or want it to fail. We fear that the stupid led by the corrupt will be our undoing, not a lack of blind faith in the power of the UK over all others.

I think we’re doing the right thing as regards visas (should be extended to all HK residents, not just those the right age though)… but we are not “doing China a favour”, and need to be ready for reciprocal actions.

igm

The Chinese 17th-19th century British are a horrendous abuser of human rights and attempt to bully any country that questions them.

To be fair most countries have their dark periods but the UK end of the BLM movement and the historical reasons (still echoing today) behind it ought to make us think carefully about our well glazed house before chucking rocks.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

When a state decide to enter the international joshing club, they need to know when to retort and when to shrug. The Chinese state doesn’t know how to shrug.

The CCP needs China. At some point, China will realise it really doesn’t need the CCP.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

^^What? We agree to protect the rights of Hong Kong citizens, the Chinese renege but we should stay quiet because of what happened more than a century ago? On another continent. Get a grip.
    I’m sure the demonstrators will understand that we might not want to look a bit silly whilst they’re being bundled into the back of the van.

kelvin

the Chinese renege but we should stay quiet because of what happened more than a century ago?

Who said that? I think everyone has welcomed the UK government’s proposals on visas… some are just giving some background on why China may not be happy about our ‘interference’ as they will see it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d say China are gonna try & give every country a kicking, not just the UK. They’r trying to win WW3 without firing a shot, (as a for instance).
    I’m trying (impossible not to though) not to buy Chinese stuff as I think we’ve had a bellyful of Chinese imports this year, don’t you? Me not buying a Chinese made bike frame won’t make a slightest difference to their economy but It’ll make me feel a lot better.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Is China about to give Britain a kicking’ is closed to new replies.