Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is bike building an addictive hobby?
  • alexonabike

Its got to the stage where bikes come before food for me. Scary…

… but fun!

bassspine
    Free Member

true dat

Spamf
    Free Member

Fettling is definitely an addiction.
    I'll fettle anyones bike, me!! Iam mad me!!

philsimm
    Free Member

MMmmmmm Fettling

bassspine
    Free Member

it's worse than smack. I started fettling my own bikes. then it was my mates bikes. now I'm a cytech mechanic and a bikeability instructor. and what do I do on my day off? GO FOR A BIKE RIDE. Where will it end?

Dickyboy

Anyone have a cure?….please

philsimm
    Free Member

Wouldn't mind enrolling on a cytech course myself – bit costly though eh if you don't work in a bike shop?! 🙁

bassspine
    Free Member

worth doing IMO

Dickyboy

Think I'll try going cold turkey as a new years resolution

bassspine
    Free Member

You'll be sniffing inner tubes by 12th night 😉

bigant

Just had to admit to my wife there's a bike in the cupboard under the stairs – I built it 18 months ago. Haven't ridden it yet. was scared she'd shout at me. she started laughing then burst into tears. I am in lots of trouble. I think the answer is yes. Also has guilt 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

that's going to cost you a new kitchen

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I was up till 1am bike building, now i am in work I have the shakes!

bassspine
    Free Member

you could take in a wheel and true it in tea breaks….

ken_shields
    Free Member

Absofeckinlutely……I've built 4 in the last 3 weeks and was sitting in my garage last night thinking……what to build next?

made the mistake of telling my GF how much my main bike at the time cost…..that basic schoolboy error cost me a 1 carat diamond 😯

aviemoron
    Free Member

Yep, new winter road bike on the cards next!

firestarter
    Free Member

yes alex i thought i had cured mine til you put your monkey up for sale lol shame im broke 🙁

Blower
    Free Member

hate it nowadays,used to love it…pretend i dont know how to fix things etc on rides wi groups or hols so they do it for me lol

alexonabike

Hehe! Yeah, I'm sad to sell the monkey but needs must. Being an addicted fettler while being unemployed is not a good route to fortune.

firestarter
    Free Member

if only i hadnt got wed last week i would have loved it mate

Sam

Dickyboy – Member
    Anyone have a cure?….please

Make it your job, takes the fun out of it pretty fast. I still like building nice stuff though – but if it's just lots of mid-range bikes it gets old pretty quickly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It only gets worse.

I took appart a perfectly functioning road bike, then hacksawed and filed off all the cable guides appart from the brake guides on the top tube. and took off the mech hanger last night. It was oddly theraputic getting down to the brass underneath the braze on and working arround the tube untill it was perfectly smooth.

bassspine
    Free Member

I have to admit to enjoying repairing old heaps as well as building the high-end stuff, but you're right, the cheapy BSOs are just unpleasant to work on.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It's got to the point I had to buy the missus an old Rockhopper off eBay, and strip it completely down, clean, relube and fettled to perfection. She'll probably never ride it. But it was very shiney clean, even polished and waxed the frame!

I've also spent lunchtime pricing up some new Campag bits for a new shiney road frame I've taken a shine to.

I've justified it by not going out drinking as much these days!

firestarter
    Free Member

oh dear ive just bought alexonabike's karate monkey frameset ;-( bugger lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is bike building an addictive hobby?’ is closed to new replies.