Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is anyone going to STW weekender?
  • Premier Icon timraven
    Subscriber

Looks like I’m the only one going from down south and it doesn’t look like there’ll be many there anyway. Beginning to wonder if it’ll be worth the 4 hour drive. πŸ˜•

Brownbacks

my information is that the numbers are good although its not sold out

The quarry is a great arena and its worth spending a weekend exploring it. The trails are well designed and reward people who practice.

take an airbed though πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

I’ve entered the Weekender.
    I’ll be at Lee Quarry tonight for some more practice, hopefully it might stay dry for a change 8)

Me and a mate are in. Off on Sunday so I can try and get myself flowing down those jumps at the bottom of the DH….

Premier Icon timraven
    Subscriber

Just wondering if it going to be locals only. I won’t be getting up there ’til the evening before, not a lot of practice time compared with you lot.

jonathan

Don’t worry – they’ll be plenty in that boat! I can’t get there until early saturday so practice will have to be “focussed” πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

I was going to do it, but I can’t really justify another entire weekend of bike racing to the wife and kids.
    I might be able to do some marshaling though. Depends on what food’s on offer πŸ˜‰

neil853

i’m going to go up and watch, i’ve got france the week after so don’t want an injury πŸ˜‰

Poldarn

I’ll be there. Not sure when I’ll be arriving as have to pick someone up from even further down south. Not seen the course so will just see what happens.

Sam

I’m going and I know a few other southerners who are as well – really looking forward to it!

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

I’m Marshaling.

matthew_h

I’m in along with 8 friends. Only two of us have been before and we only went once.

Really looking forward to it. Should be a great weekend.

Chase

I’m going, and will also be having a quick spin around there this evening. Will be arriving saturday morning rather than the friday evening too.

think i’m marshalling too.
    i offered anyway…

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Probably pop down, but then it is only 10.75 mins to the quarry gate from my frontdoor (I do like living at the centre of STW world, hopefully MM will be at Gisburn Forest next year πŸ˜† ). For any of you who haven’t ridden there before it’s pretty rocky and a tad exposed in places but is an excellent place to ride.

Premier Icon Ed-O

Everything is compact and intense at Lee Quarry. It won’t take much practice to get the lie of the land.

The trails have originality and pack plenty of variety in a small space so I think it’s worth the trip up for you. I’m yet to talk to anyone who has not been impressed.

Brant will be commentating and you wouldn’t want to miss that would you?

had my first real off up there last sunday… almost at the bottom, in the “woods” part, got carried away and totally overshot a sharp turn. front wheel into a ditch, me over the bars. it was pretty funny really. not as funny as my pal almost hitting a sheep, despite having coasted all the way down after snapping his rear mech on the berms right before the skills/play area…

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

xherbivorex, I think I narrrowly avoided going in that ditch tonight πŸ˜†

Out of the 6 of us riding four of us got pinch flats sessioning the section that will be used for the DH part of the race, so I think I need to be smoother and put some extra air in my rear tyre.

Good fun and the sun actually came out.
    Midges were out in force as it got dark which wasn’t fun.

Looking forward to next weekend, just need to finally decide which bike to use.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I’ll be there either working or riding haven’t decided yet.

TonyL

Entries are going pretty well really I think we are past the break even stage which is good news for the local mountain rescue as we will be passing any surplus on to them.

Food and drink (none alcoholic) will be provided for anyone helping out at the event I’ll have some vouchers to hand out so if you are helping make sure you get some from me.

We have a good pile of wood for a fire each evening. (don’t tell the health and safety guys!)

There is a round of the National Trials Championships in the quarry on the Sunday, some of the UK’s best trials riders (annoyingly young and talented!) will be in the quarry over the weekend. Well worth watching what they can do. I suspect they may find our version of trials amusing.

The weather forecast for the weekend is looking good at the moment.

Camping on site up in the quarry, bit of a drag up the hill with your gear as we are not allowing cars on site (they would break). car park has 24hr security. We will have a 4×4 with trailer to take stuff up and down the hill if required. Camp site is rocky so bring a good thermarest and some extra pegs (you might bend a few)

Midges were out in force last night so some insect repellent would be a good idea shouldn’t be a problem around the camp fire though.

Any one got any questions about the event just let me know.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Yep, I’ll be there:) probably heading up on the Friday night for some practice- I wasn’t able to make any of eds sessions πŸ™ was going to coming with a mate, but he’s spectacularly done his back so it will just be me…

didn’t know about the trials comp on the Sunday! Does this happen at a different time to the xc so w can go and watch with envy?!!

TonyL

Trials will be running from about 10am till 4pm so lots of opportunity to watch and race.

vegan food please tony!

(ha, no really i’ll probs bring my own, being awkward and weird!)

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I’ll be there, planning on “racing” (loosest possible sense of the word…) Looking forward to it, I’ve never ridden at Lee Quarry before.

Premier Icon timraven
    Subscriber

If anyone’s going from the Bath area I have 3 seats available in the car, racks for bikes and kit too. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon ghostdog
    Subscriber

I’m going, also never ridden at Lee Quarry before. Looking forward to it!

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Few pics from last night at Lee Quarry.

Me at the top of the black.

The two Pauls at the top of the black, not part of the race route!

It’s a stunning location for a race, but there’s a lot of climbing, the XC is going to be tough, (for me anyway).

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

might go, but only to blag a go on a singular

am going to give the guys a call on Monday and have a go at Marshling.

I was up there last night and combined with a pull up Kyme’s and round the tops and down to Cowpe, twas as great night with a few ales in the jolly afterwards.

Premier Icon Ed-O

Me on The Ginnel, which will be part of the DH course.

Nial on one of the berms which will be part of the XC course

Emily not quite on the see saw which may very well be part of the Trials course.

Premier Icon Ben_Haworth
    Subscriber

“it doesn’t look like there’ll be many there anyway.”

Should be about 300-400 folk (coming from all parts of the UK) there in total I reckon πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Ed-O

Last chance for a guided pre-ride of the xc, dh and trials courses tomorrow night from 7pm.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

I might be back on my bike by then!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone going to STW weekender?’ is closed to new replies.