• This topic has 49 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Is anyone else looking forward to Autumn and Winter riding?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

It occurred to me yesterday that I quite like it colder, fresh and a little damp. Am I a weirdo? Also it clears the trails and makes it easier to park.

Jamie
    Free Member

Weirdo.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Road yes, mtb NO

MussEd
    Free Member

Me, just got a new-to-me bike having had no MTB(due to thievery) for the best summer in decades, ill take any riding conditions I can get!

scaredypants

no

turns to shite round here very quickly

I like the cold but shitty, shitty mud – no thanks

jekkyl

I do like it when it’s sunny but slightly cold, the autumn countryside also has a different feel to it, it’s nice. I do hate the cold generally though and I also hate mud and rain. On reflection I’d much rather the summer any day, being able to cycle in shorts and T shirts on dusty trails with sunset starting at 10pm is awesome and the best part of the year. Depths of winter with base layers on, jersey, jumper, jacket, scarf, wooly hat under helmet and thick gloves on is a massive pita!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I was thinking I’ve been missing the sloppy slippy conditions, but not looking forward to cleaning my bike after every ride and getting out in the cold first thing on a morning!

rickt
    Free Member

You can’t beat them 0’c fresh clear skies, frozen mud trails!

(Well you can.. Its called Summer)

nickjb
    Free Member

Not really. The summer has been great. Ride all hours, no need to worry about what kit to take, bike stays clean.

CheesybeanZ

Love the autumn colours and temperature , hate the mud .

RoterStern
    Free Member

One thing I hate about summer riding is gagging after swallowing flies! 🙁

jedi

i love riding all year round.

night riding!!!!!!

grum
    Free Member

Weirdo.

I do like nice crisp cold autumn/winter days but only if it’s relatively dry or frozen.

roverpig

There are advantages to all the seasons really. In the autumn/winter the vegetation dies back a bit, so I don’t get whipped by gorse bushes, which is nice. But it’s all good.

mogrim

Not for riding so much, but for running definitely.

core

I have to say I like cold autumn/winter mornings, but not the wet clay around here, renders most local trails virtually unrideable.

cozz
    Free Member

yep, great colours in the trees, crunchy leaves under tyres, places less busy, and nettles dying back on some nice routes that have been impassable for a while

weeksy

For the forseeable future my bike is on ‘holiday’

This may be a week, may be several months.

So all of my riding for now is in the gym on a spin bike….

I’m a bit gutted, but the long term is looking rosy 🙂

binners

You always get the best sunsets around this time of year. Which is always nice mid-ride.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member

Road yes, mtb NO

And this is exactly what I like about it. The trails lose the fair weather riders who are scared of getting their mtb’s dirty 😆

Lovely quiet trails, the smell of autumn and cool colours.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

No.

rOcKeTdOg

Looking forward to? It’s already here

andytherocketeer

Yup.
    Can’t beat riding in nice crisp squeaky snow.
    Although wet slushy mush on the roads is not exactly pleasant.

jekkyl

ChunkyMTB
    Lovely quiet trails, the smell of autumn cowshit and cool colours.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s kind of my riding season really, as the family business takes over between May and September..

I’m not relishing dragging myself out into it, but I’ll love it once I get into the swing of things..
    Roots are boring when they’re dry anyway.. 😈

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Joolsburger – hell yes, love winter riding – mud, rain, snow, it all turns boring trails into much more challenging terrain and a bigger challenge than just riding a bone dry trail. And, the trails are a lot quieter. 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think I am…I like it when the leaves start to change colour and fall. The damp ground is gripper too…the summer has been great by the Chase has been pretty slippery and loose. I live getting out first this when there’s frost on the ground.

One of may favourite rides last year was in Sheffield early October, first frost if the year on a sunny day. The views from the top of Stannage were amazing.

Not so keen on the darkest depths of winter though when the trails are like a bog.

Back into night riding this year and it’s been ace so far although I’m a bit if a girl on the descents.

emac65
    Free Member

Last Monday when I rode it was sunny,hot & the ground was dry….I wore summer clothes & even thought about wearing some sun block…
    Looking out the window I don’t think it’ll be any of those today things & I definitely won’t need any ****’ sun block !

So in answer to your question – NO I’m not!!!

hora
    Free Member

I love Autumn, I’ve always said my fave riding temp is c12degrees.

Northwind

Autumn’s the best season IMO… Most interesting weather, most changable views and rides, best trails (mix of mud and dry, everything’s stuck back together but not too wet), air is cold enough to ride like mad without drowning in sweat… No stingy nettles and other assorted undergrowth bastardry… Obviously it rains a bit more which isn’t ideal and the wind can be trouble but no season’s perfect.

I love the sun but not to ride in! Nasty stuff, blinds you and makes you too hot.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its all good, although thick sticky mud, wind and rain I could do without.
    Having said that, I was out last night and it pissed down, I got completely soaked and it was lovely!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I like it when it’s damp, and the foliage is starting to recede, so the trails open up a bit. Sadly that period never lasts, as it turns to a bog.

I’ve really enjoyed the lack of cleaning required this summer, after last year where bikes were hanging after every single ride.

I’d love a mild autumn and winter with not much rain, I struggle to be motivated to go riding I the dark anyway, sadly it won’t be long until we’re stuck for just weekends. It’s been a great year though 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeno

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to not being as sweaty, and to the cold frosty mornings, and to fitting my mud tyres for some slidey action. I’m looking forward to night rides.

I’m not looking forward to cleaning the bike and ‘that’ sound of mud grinding in the gears.

I’m interested in how the narrow/wide chainrings are going to get on through the claggier months 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

can’t wait to get digging in adel, esholt and riding Leeds again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, I love propper muddy nightrides. Although I did figure out the other day that the value of my ‘winter’ gear (i.e. anything I bought specificaly to make riding through till Spring a bit less painfull/miserable/messy) is more than my bike by a considerable margin!

roubaix bibs – £70
    endura jetstream top – £60
    northwave boots – £150
    merino socks – £10
    winter gloves – £30
    lights – £120
    insulated bottle – £12
    bike rack – £60
    towbar – £80
    portable washer – £40

=£630

Rigid SS – £550

rocketman
    Free Member

Is anyone else looking forward to Autumn and Winter riding?

Yes it’ll be great getting kitted up like an astronaut to ride around in circles in the dark/cold/mud/snow/ice. really looking forward to it.

stumpy01

Nope. Not one bit to be honest.

Woke up this morning and opened the door to let the cats out to be greeted by a windy blast with a decidedly cold edge.

Made me despair slightly to be honest. Wet roads, cold roads, darkness, icy uncertainty, thick mud, puddles, mud guards, Dirtworker……you can keep it. I’d much rather it stayed warm and dry; in fact I said as much to my OH yesterday evening when she asked if I was going for a ride after work tonight….

scotroutes

What’s not to love??

Autumn

Classic by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Winter

Allermuir Sunset by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Ummm…tough one, hate the dark evenings, but I love the extra challenge of night rides. I don’t like the hassle of cleaning a filthy bike in the dark before I put it into the car though.

Motivation can be hard too mid January when it’s f’ing freezing and wet and cold.

Autumn – Yes. My favourite season.

Winter – Not so much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone else looking forward to Autumn and Winter riding?’ is closed to new replies.