Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is all helicopter tape created equal?
  • benz
    Free Member

Need some heli tape stuff to protect new frame.

Is it all created equal or is some better than others?

Thanks.

cp

some yellows, some peels off, some wears through…

I get mine from Convertape on eBay. good tape and quick delivery.

eskay

The real stuff is made by 3M and was designed for protecting the leading edges of helicopter rotor blades. It will have gone through rigorous testing as it has to withstand some pretty harsh environments. Some of the stuff you see on ebay is just sticky backed plastic.

Go to the 3M site and buy a reel (will cost about £20 but will last for ages) or go halves with someone.

easygirl

Some sold on ebay is very stiff, and the adhesive comes away from the backing, waste of time really

Stevo210
    Free Member

Best stuff by a long margin and I’ve tried a few 🙁 very durable, doesnt discolour and goes on the easiest without any creasing.
    http://www.justridingalong.com/trail-stuff/copter-tape-frame-tape/copter-tape.html

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve found the bike tape from the BikeTart website to be good, and also the stuff from JustRidingAlong which i think is the same.

Stevo210
    Free Member

which i think is the same.

Biketart is thinner.

stumpy01

Bought two lots from ebay. Can’t remember who the first lot was from, but it’s very thin. Easy to apply, but not sure it’s massively durable.
    The second lot was from Paragon Tapes (I think…?) and is the proper 3M stuff. Much thicker and feels like it will actual protect stuff properly….

mrelectric

Anothet vote for Paragon. V good service too. I like the carbon look tape he does too.
    Had some Bike Tart stuff which was not as good.

alfabus
    Free Member

JRA – Good and thick and easy to apply
    Biketart – Thin and stretchy and annoying to apply.

dibboid
    Free Member

JRA – Good and thick and easy to apply

+1 JRA here too 🙂 good stuff!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It seems almost as expensive to buy the stuff on a roll as it does to buy from some ebay sellers.

Where do these guys (ebay sellers) get it from?

steel4real
    Free Member

I found the JRA stuff very good – thick, durable and no yellowing.
    Bike tart stuff is good, not as thick but durable and no yellowing (only thing is the backing tabe is a pain to peel) stretches so good in tricky bits.

However I also strayed over to Paragon tapes on ebay – not so good, very confusing range of tapes and what I have had has yellowed in a few months, only noticeable on a light coloured frame but I wouldn’t buy from him again.

Tried ‘Convertape’ and the stuff was textured !!?? so sent it back.

JRA & Bike tart worth the expense in the long run I reckon.

bigjim

I got the thick 3M stuff – would get something thinner if I did it again.

Frankers
    Free Member

JRA = thick and easy to peel the back off

Biketart = thin and difficult to peel the back off

I like and use both depending where its going and how flexi i need it to be, headtube where most wear from cables gets JRA

philfive
    Free Member

My mate was selling the stuff on ebay for peanuts per mtr. It is the 3M stuff but he has stopped now as he was getting some right morons buying it and he said it wasn’t worth the hassle.

some of the complaints he has had:

your advert says 3M helicopter tape but you only sent me a meter, I want my other 2 meters 🙂

this isn’t real helicopter tape. – even though he is a helicopter technician and he puts it on sea kings leading edges 😀

GolfChick
    Free Member

has anybody tried the 3m stuff from tweeks cycles? I need some as well and have always sworn by JRA tape but tweeks is significantly cheaper as I need 2metres!

grum
    Free Member

I bought some on ebay and it was rubbish – not sticky enough.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve used this stuff for a while and found it very good.

Stays on well, doesn’t discolour and is pretty thick.

http://www.tape2go.com/Category/Bike-Frame-Tape/69

whyter

Look up Duane on here. I got a roll from him and it’s lasted really well on my Transition and hasn’t yellowed 1 year on. Price seemed fair, and came with some instructions and alcohol wipes too.

philfive
    Free Member

I have 1 mtr of 3M stuff going for free if anyone is near Accrington?

twang
    Free Member

I use this (seriously)…

Its tough and you can have it as thick as you like by sticking it on in multiple layers 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

FYI 3M do about a million thicknesses in clear tape.

easygirl

Phil five
    Not near accrington would you post if I PayPal you postage over ❓

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is all helicopter tape created equal?’ is closed to new replies.