Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Is airport security tight enough?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Not paying a particularly big price though. A couple of quid extra on drinks at the airport isn’t that much compared to the rest of the holiday. Or if it is, then you’ve got a cheap holiday so stop complaining 🙂

legend
    Free Member

The best is flying regional into Melbourne – they xray your stuff and scan you once you’ve got there

To stop you bringing unwanted goods in unless I’m mistaken, don’t think anyone’s ever pretended it was s security thing

Northwind

Trimix – Member

Im always amazed that terrorist dont commit some action before you check in, before you go through security. The checking in hall is full of people, bags, etc.

Like, driving a Jeep Cherokee full of gas cans into the departure lounge?

I think aircraft are seen as some sort of totem… It’d be incredibly easy for one person to cause chaos on an everyday street, the glasgow attack was particularly brilliant because the average number of people killed by 4x4s being driven normally is higher than they achieved with their “bomb”- statistically, you’re safer from that than you are from school-running mums.

But knocking planes out of the sky is dramatic and shows sophistication and skill, whereas just driving a jeep through a pedestrian precinct at speed on a saturday is effective but crude.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Its reassuring theatrical security spread over three areas to make you hang around different shopping malls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

This guys on the money… helps stir the tribalist us and them sentiment (much like hate week) and fuels the military industrial media complex which perpetuates the need for wars, weapons and the industries that profit from them.

If terrorists really wanted to bring a country to its knees, they’d focus on the power distribution network; bombing a major electricity substation, gas or oil pipeline wouldn’t really be that hard, but wouldn’t easily translate into directly involving the populace in the security theater that airports allow.

Manufactured fear methinks.

molgrips
    Free Member

Making airport security into a big deal may actually draw terrorists towards it. They probably end up thinking that air travel is the target they should be aiming for just like we do.

I don’t think they want to bring a country to its knees though. More effective to just hurt people and make them afraid. Random civillian slaughter does this more effectively than a strategic military campaign.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Aviation is a multi trillion dollar industry. A big cog in the evil western empire.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s no good targeting infrastructure, that’s resilient and is just about money.

Terrorism is about striking terror into the hearts of the population.
    Killing an individual soldier on the streets of London is a complete waste of time from a bringing a country to its knees perspective but its been a great advertisement for them and the effect on our nation has been immense. Job done as far as they’re concerned.

maccruiskeen

They may not be going for high explosives. All you need to do is punch a hole in the skin of the plane to cause major mayhem.

Indeed – one of the the pivotal issues in the Lockerbie investigation was that the how small the blast was. Planes can withstand pretty big holes being made in them and still hold together, and possibly even land

but a small hole is like a balloon being pricked with a pin. The lockerbie flight wasn’t blown to pieces by a bomb small enough to hide in a radio, it was punctured and popped.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I daresay if they blew the gas or electric supply mid winter, there would be a fair bit of terror~ going by the panic buying when there is whispers of a fuel shortage, oil would doubtless cause a stir too.

As for killing a soldier (who was not easily identifiable as a soldier, being in plain clothes) by apparently beheading him, with no blood near the body, or on their clothes, job done as far as who’s concerned?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334476/Woolwich-murder-MI6-connection-Younger-brother-Michael-Adebolajo-paid-thousands-spy-Middle-East.html

http://www.nafeezahmed.com/2013/05/is-mi5-foiling-terror-plots-of-its-own.html

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not sure of the relevance of those two links but it’s job done from the terrorist organisations perspective for creating terror, disharmony and conflict within the British Isles. That’s the whole purpose of their being.

You’re not….you’re not actually suggesting it was a government plot are you?

GrahamS

apparently beheading him, with no blood near the body, or on their clothes

Umm the pictures I saw (which I don’t really want to repost here) shown the main suspect ranting and raving with his hands quite literally soaked in blood, carrying two very bloody large knives.

Are you seriously suggesting this is government frame up??

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Umm the pictures I saw (which I don’t really want to repost here) shown the main suspect ranting and raving with his hands quite literally soaked in blood, carrying two very bloody large knives.

Are you seriously suggesting this is government frame up??

I’m opening that avenue of investigation~ there is certainly room to question the official narrative, but I can’t say for sure what the truth is~ much as if you go to see an illusionist, you may marvel at the tricks, but you can’t explain the mechanics of what you’ve seen~ what is real and what isn’t…

though there was apparently blood on his hands, why wasn’t there blood on any of his clothing? Even the guy in the light jacket had no sign of blood on his clothes…

None of the pictures or footage released show blood near the body~ even the blood trail you see from aerial photos doesn’t correspond to photos or footage from closer to the scene.

The pedestrians walking past without concern, despite the apparently blood soaked hands and weapons and the lack of damage to the sign that the car crashed into also raise questions.

Who knows the truth behind it all, but going by the history of involvement by the intelligence services, I’m not rushing to believe the hype, just because it was on the front page of the newspapers…

Sandwich

airport owners can maximiserecover the yield from all those that unused spacecheap landing slots that Ryan and the other cheap operators insist on

FTFY

Sancho
    Free Member

why not have a word with the guys greaving family you moron

franksinatra

It is funny how things change and we soon accept this as normal. My dad once flew up to help me renovate a flat in Edinburgh. He was given a list of jobs to do when he arrived so packed everything he needed and took it on the flight as hand luggage. Items included:

Electronic timer (for immersion heater)
    Cables
    Boxed of nails and screws
    A hammer
    Stanley Knife
    Screw Drivers etc

The date of his flight? 10 Sept 2001, Funnily enough, he left most of his tools behind when he flew back!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

why not have a word with the guys greaving family you moron

If things genuinely happened as portrayed, the fact remains he was a soldier… he was paid to kill, and if the job demanded, be killed… somehow, his death was big news

The comparatively innocent Mohammed Saleem was murdered in a fairly similar fashion, yet received no major press coverage.

Explain that to me without resorting to knee jerk emotion please.

I won’t go into depth about the lives lost daily due to allied forces overseas…

franksinatra

I’m opening that avenue of investigation~ there is certainly room to question the official narrative, but I can’t say for sure what the truth is~ much as if you go to see an illusionist, you may marvel at the tricks, but you can’t explain the mechanics of what you’ve seen~ what is real and what isn’t…

Sancho
    Free Member

i wouldnt say it was knee jerk, its simply stating that youre moronic statements would have me believe you are a moron.

and mohammed saleems murder though brutal is not of the same level as this, there was also the lady beheaded in tenerife, but if you think this guy somehow should have been ready for this as he was a soldier then your moronic status in my view has just gone up again.

and what do you mean the comparatively innocent, was the soldier somehow guilty of something?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM[/video]

Northwind

jivehoneyjive – Member

I’m opening that avenue of investigation

Well thank god for that 😆

Sancho
    Free Member

jivehoney, i think you should take note of the words of Chuck D.

what you should do is read the statements of the witnesses, ignore the flaky phonecam footage, understand what they saw and think about your comments.
    i am a very suspicious person by nature, hence my scepticism over airport security, but this attack really doesn’t come in to the govt conspiracy theory category.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

what you should do is read the statements of the witnesses, ignore the flaky phonecam footage, understand what they saw and think about your comments.

Understand what who saw?

Sky news witness \/

EDL Rally that night /\

Sancho
    Free Member

again you are believing the hype, like i said your moronic status in my eyes just keeps going up, i said read, not listen to sound bites you are believing the hype, go do some research and read up on what people saw, blogged, tweeted, etc, its the peoples words not tv you need to discover to find out what happened.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’ve read alot of fictional books by ghost writers… I’ve also seen alot of fictional films with a cast of actors~ there are a number of discrepancies which need explaining before this is put to rest~ regardless, it may be wholly real, but even despite that, the media portrayal is blatantly heavily skewed to bring about patriotism and justification of aggressive actions by our forces.

Although this represents the U.S., please scrutinize where government money is going

(I would’ve supplied info for the UK, but it doesn’t appear to be readily accessible…)

Sancho
    Free Member

you are right the media portrayal is total flag waving whip up a frenzy typical rubbish.
    but reading some of the blogs, tweets etc from actual witnesses, then no i dont believe it is made up.

its a tragedy for all involved, especially Lee Rigby.

zokes
    Free Member

To stop you bringing unwanted goods in unless I’m mistaken, don’t think anyone’s ever pretended it was s security thing

From where? Griffith, Burnie, or Mount Gambier?? It’s an internal regional flight, I’m not aware of things (other than a sense of humour) that aren’t permitted in Melbourne that are in any of those places.

Moral of the story – if you want to hijack or blow up a plane, get on one from a regional airport!

zokes
    Free Member

i wouldnt say it was knee jerk, its simply stating that youre moronic statements would have me believe you are a moron.

Excellent irony there 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

I am just very sceptical on this, and would be happier if the security was tightened up, but tightened up properly not just some lame excuse to get yo to buy more stuff in the airport.

You can take empty bottles in and fill them once through security. I do this on long-haul flights usually so I don’t have to go and look for a drink when I’m thirsty between services. That said, airports are definitely about keeping you in the shopping/dining areas; I’ve noticed that few flights these days give you your gate number until right before the flight so you have plenty of time to browse the shops or drink at an overpriced weatherspoons.

Oh, you’re one of those people. Apparently a witness can’t also be in the EDL? Anyway, the fact you’re classing the EDL as part of a conspiracy proves you’ve lost the plot, they can’t string a coherent statement together about what they believe in without it either becoming obviously racist or obvious they’re covering up the racism.

jivehoneyjive is kaesae and I claim my 5 quid of bearings.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive » Understand what who saw?

Oh, you’re one of those people. Apparently a witness can’t also be in the EDL? Anyway, the fact you’re classing the EDL as part of a conspiracy proves you’ve lost the plot, they can’t string a coherent statement together about what they believe in without it either becoming obviously racist or obvious they’re covering up the racism.

I’m just opening up the possibility that the witnesses may not be all they seem…food for thought

😆 Now who’s the conspiracy nut?

D0NK

the obvious choice, I was leaning more towards fred.

franksinatra

I miss Kaesae

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s natural that someone who witnesses such a barbaric act would want to do something about it. Like attend an EDL march. Hell, if I’d witnessed that and were a massive racist, I’d try and organise the damn march.

But then again, I’m a corporate shill.

Brought to you by

samuri
    Free Member

The eye witness guy who was tweeting at the scene was on channel 4 news tonight.

I for one am glad to see that our secret service now recruit black, gangster rappers with links to criminal gangs rather than the traditional public school network.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Is airport security tight enough?’ is closed to new replies.