Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Is Afan dead?
  • Alex

We go to Afan pretty regularly as it’s only 90 mins away. The popularity declined a lot since we started going esp when Ian (I think) stopped running the Cafe and the original centre was more and more run down. Plus losing the original 9-foot which I loved.

Seems to be picking up
    – cafe at the old centre is great. The hand cut bacon butties are amazing!
    – cafe at Glencorryg is also fab again.
    – trails always been brilliant. Wall still up there as one of my favourite trails. Blade has settled in and was a top ride when we did it a few weeks ago.
    – shame about the trees. And I’m not a fan of the new Penhydd but wall/blade/w2 are all worth the trip
    – if you need stay, Afan lodge is great. Lovely fella who runs it.

I’m a fan and hope it carries on evolving. Feel the same way about cwmcarn (although the felling has ruined one of my fav sections). Seem to be going to BPW less as well..

Alex

The Queens B&B in Glyncorrwg has unfortunately been sold.

That’s a shame. Before we moved over here (10 years ago), we used to stay there before the Afan Lodge was built.

spooky_b329

I go with a small group every Jan/Feb, usually it tips down with rain all weekend or half the trails are covered in snow but the cafe is usually fairly busy for our halfway stop round the W2.

Despite the weather we always have a laugh, we stay at the Afan Lodge so we can ride from the door and use Glencorrwg to refuel (and escape home down the old railway line if we have run out of daylight). I have a soft spot for the climb out of Glencorrwg, if I’m feeling unfit or eaten to much I can back off and get up with just a few short breathers on a singlespeed, but if I’ve got the energy you can make it as hard as you want by going faster.

The Wall final descent now has an alternative black run which is a steep enduro style trail

I wonder if that will become the new descent…if they are harvesting the trees on zigzags the old trail might not get reinstated?

zilog6128

Lol, not sure it’d be wise to have a black trail as the only way down!!

spooky_b329

Whats it like to ride…the zigzag descent is a red for The Wall, and a black when incorporated into the W2 (due to length, I suppose) Same descent, two colours 🙂

So its black for severity and not a suitable diversion on the red trail during the felling works? I can do a black but I’m not hucking off 4ft steps…

wrecker
    Free Member

That black descent is completely shocking in the wet. It turns into a sloppy mess, no fun to ride at all.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Jeez that Black line down is tricky, it’s a whole other kettle of balls compared to the Black run on Whites, it’s a non surfaced run built for an Enduro race.

Are we sure that’s the only way? There were diversion signs near there a while back, but it was to skip the ‘new’ top loop.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve misread that, no I wouldn’t fancy it in the middle of winter, it’s a bit lively for me.

dynebaruk
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see what happens when the felling starts there. There’s no way it will just be the black run down, most would be stuck up the mountain 😆 It’s completely different to anything else you’ll find in the Afan trails.

rob8624
    Free Member

Afan local here. Ride in the valley at least twice a week, usually all the off piste stuff, place is far from dead especially the local scene which is thriving.

The trails do need some investment though, I think mountain biking has moved on from trails like Y Wal and Whites.

Also, just to add, the felling will effect Zig Zags and S4 (black run), and when they are closed, I’m pretty sure they are not making a new alternative descent, it will be straight down a fire road, which is laughable.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure they are not making a new alternative descent,

That would be a complete disaster for the afan side.

nolan
    Free Member

Anyone know when the felling work is due to start?

VanHalen

I like afan it’s a proper bike ride. However the southerners I ride with prefer uplifts.

If they don’t a half decent descent after ordering the felling that will be really bad.

VanHalen

I like afan it’s a proper bike ride. However the southerners I ride with prefer uplifts.

If they don’t a half decent descent after ordering the felling that will be really bad.

lardman
    Free Member

There’s still a great day, or two riding in Afan to be had, regardless of rain, cafes, or shops. I’m currently sat in the back of our motorhome after 2 days in South Wales. Heading back to the south, where seemingly all the softies live. We’ve ridden in torrential rain on both days, ridden up trails that were rivers in fact. One day at Afan, staying at Bryn Betws, one day at BPW. Although BPW is fab, I still prefer the challenge of riding the technical trails at Afan flat out. Rocky, twisty and loose. ‘Proper’ trails.(yes I know it’s still a trail centre) but that’s why it’s good, it feels like a more natural trail. Although Bryn Betws is great, there’s definitely a gap in the market for more quality, on mountain accommodation. I’ve been riding in Afan for 20 odd years and it still appeals when you want to get wet and sloppy on a trail with a variety of difficulty and duration. There’s lots more that could be done to make it work better/harder but it’s still ace. Good enough to knacker the 4 people half asleep in this van right now.

rob8624
    Free Member

The felling is imminent I think, just depending on weather.

willstaffs
    Free Member

I am staying exactly in between Afan and Cwmcarn in April, I have one day to ride with the trail hound, what does everyone recommend?

Thinking either Y wall at Afan or Cafall then Twrch at Cwmcarn?

lardman
    Free Member

The w2 trail at Afan, which is a combination of Y Wal and Whytes Level, is a good day out.

DezB
    Free Member

As link posted on page 1, there appear to be plans afoot for the area. Looks ominous

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ominous how?

I suspect, they’re offering MTBing because there is some in the area, or they’ll build their own short section of trail to join up with the existing network – I doubt they’ll suddenly take ownership of the lot and charge people to ride it.

This sort of this is exactly the point of having a trail network in a former mining area – it could be great for the area.

martinhutch

“Bear Grylls Survival Academy” 🙂

Looks good, but generally a development like that would need sequestered and gated space for lodges, sportshalls and pools like Centerparcs does.

Has a site been identified, and where is it in relation to the trails?

EDIT:

Just looked it up – not actually in any part of Afan Forest, just south of Cymmer. Can’t see any problem with this, the area badly needs something. Although there a few BWs on the site so they’d have to stop randoms coming in and abusing their trails!

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s that lot going in Dez? As long as they use an old industrial site down the valley then that looks cool.

dynebaruk
    Free Member

Does anyone know how long this felling around Zig Zags is planned to last for?

DezB
    Free Member

It was in an industry magazine my ex gave me, while ago, but I thought it was closer than martinhutch’s pic shows. Can imagine the plans have changed.
    Only ominous in the fact that they have to build the place!

P-Jay
    Free Member

dynebaruk – Member
    Does anyone know how long this felling around Zig Zags is planned to last for?

Nothing from NRW or Bob the Ranger, but ‘a while’ I would suspect AND they’ll need to rebuilt the trail afterwards. If I had to guess, 3 months for the clearance and about the same to rebuild the trail, it’ll come back smoother and ‘boring’ looking for a while, but once the rain and wind get at it, the top soil will be lost and it’ll be a bit of a painful chore to ride, like ‘Hidden Valley’ over on Penhydd.

Hopfully I’m wrong, some of the other felled trails have come back okay bar the lack of trees, but Afan doesn’t seem to do well without the trees.

chakaping
    Free Member

Worrying news, the wiggly descent on Y Wal is probably my all-time fave bit of trail centre.

budgierider67

The £1 car parking fee was a nice surprise compared to most trail centres. Excellent toilets & showers too.

trekfs9
    Free Member

Afan is ALIVE !

Ok there is a lot of forestry missing but the trails are open and some have new sections added. The Wall has new sections on the climb up, the black descent is brutal for me so I use Zig Zags, yes it’s open and still excellent. Oh and if you are after a few jumps the bike park before you descend Zig Zags has been revamped and open. On the other side of Afan, climb up Penhydd and you have Sidewinder, Dead Sheep Gulley, Big Dipper and Widow Maker (Blue Scar) to play with.
    Get up there.

kayak23

Brilliant. Must get back there this summer. 👌

stevied
    Free Member

Off there in a few weeks after about 6 years. Looking forward to it 🙂

senorj

I’m Afan….get it?
    IGMC.

trekfs9
    Free Member

I was up Bryn Bettws last night and there was a few people camping up there. It looked fun.
    Have a good time lads.

ragsdog1
    Free Member

afan is not dead for me the trails are stll good but some people from glyncorrwg cant not ride a bike at all

mutley

Went a few weekends ago with some mates, first time in about 6 years, and we all really enjoyed it.  Shame about the trees but the riding is still great fun.  The café at Glyncorrwg is a bit basic but compensated for by the huuuuge portions, Afan centre caff and shop are both really good.  Might have lost some trade since BPW opened but both car parks were nearly full on the Sunday.  An hour long scamper round Blue Scar was particularly good fun

superstu
    Free Member

I went a couple months back for the first time, did W2. I absolutely loved it. Cracking weather too! Amazed it doesn’t get more credit, some of the descents were great. A lot of climbing but I just spin up slowly. A great days cycling.

mcvittees
    Free Member

I’m going with some mates in July. Been three times in last four years. It’s fantastic imo. Stay in Cymmer and you can do a day visit to BPW which is totally different kind of kick. Afan for me is MTB at its roots; natural, scenic and somewhat epic.

vinnyeh

Afan for me is MTB at its roots; natural, scenic and somewhat epic.

Just shows how much we’ve forgotten in such a short time..

trekfs9
    Free Member

Hey it’s good to hear you enjoyed, spread the word. I think a lot of people have forgotten about the place. It’s a shame about the missing trees but they had some disease so had to be cut.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Is Afan dead?’ is closed to new replies.