• This topic has 30 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by argee.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Is a Fox X2 shock just crap?
  • sharkattack

The inner workings of an X2 are a mystery to me. I don’t know if they have any inherent design flaws that make them so fragile.

I last had the shock rebuilt when it blew up in Les Gets in August 2019. The bike has been hanging in the garage ever since. I was just getting it ready for a ride and realised I had no rebound damping. It kind of feels like the low speed rebound works because it adds a little resistance right at the top of the stroke but on high speed there’s nothing. It’s gone full pogo stick.

This is the 4th time this has happened, and the first time it’s happened without even riding the bloody thing. First time was quickly sorted under warranty, second time I took it on the chin and had it fixed locally, third time was halfway down an Alp. Yesterday I just wanted to frisbee it down the street.

And I gather there’s nothing you can do yourself without loads of special tools? Nothing to do but throw money at it and wait for it to pop again. The kind of product I will now go out of my way to avoid buying.

Also, a quick look at some alternatives left me feeling light headed. I’ve always had access to trade pricing and I find RRP absolutely, brazenly offensive. Yay, let’s spend over half a grand on a stupid little shock for a mountain bike. So I’ve got that to look forward to.

I think I was just going to ask how to fix my shock but then all that came out^

P.S. Anyone selling an EXT Storia?

poah
    Free Member

same shock getting repaired or new shock? If its the same shock there is an inherent flaw in that particularly one.

sharkattack

Same shock. Each time I’ve had it serviced no one has said anything unusual about it or found any damage.

tomhoward

Anyone selling an EXT Storia?

For less than £500? 😂🤣😂🤣

singlespeedstu

If it’s for your G16 I’d just bite the bullet and get the EXT.
    Have a word with the Geometron boys and see if they have any MK2 shocks left.
    They did me one a fair chunk cheaper than a MK3 costs.

sharkattack

If it’s for your G16 I’d just bite the bullet and get the EXT.

It’s gonna happen isn’t it? I’m just in denial. I’ve blown all my money on cars and motorbikes and I’ve got a hot, sweaty baby going mental all night so my brain isn’t working.

I’m a month short of hitting 2 years without riding MTB. It’s the only break from riding that I’ve ever had. I just wish I could have got back on it without a huge financial kick in a nuts.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I had an X2 go uneconomicallyrepairable and TFTuned advised* me to replace it with a Cane Creek Double Barrel coil. That may have had something to do with the odd shock dimensions of my bike, but anyhow I have been super chuffed with the Cane Creek.

The problem with the X2 was that the bores on the piggy back cylinder were scored and as it is integral with the whole shock top part, replacement was almost the cost of a new shock. And they clearly felt that a different make would be better and more serviceable long term.

*in a “we aren’t going to sell you anything else” kind of way.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t replace it with a RS Monarch they’re even worse!

mboy
    Free Member

Generally speaking, I’ve mostly had pretty good reliability out of the various X2 shocks I’ve run. They’re definitely more reliable when attached to a lower leverage ratio bike though, especially the older 250psi max ones.

I’m guessing if it’s for a G16, it’s a 216×63 or 222×70 you need. If you feel the X2 is a lost cause and you don’t want to stretch to an EXT Storia (even at trade they’re still very expensive, so don’t feel like you’re missing out loads), then you could look at a Fox Van RC or the Marzocchi Bomber CR as they still come in the older non metric lengths, work well and don’t cost the earth.

All that said, if you’ve not used your X2 for 2 years or so, and it just feels like there’s no rebound control, it could just have lost its nitrogen charge. Worth just getting it recharged to see if it will hold pressure probably…

daveylad
    Free Member

Yep utter garbage, never had one, or any airshock last more than 8 months before loosing all damping or leaking.
    I think fox stuff is expensive crap but they have a good marketing budget.
    Coils only with a progressive spring if required.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fourth time with the exact same problem?

That’s not normal, no. I’ve got two which have been ridden loads and never done that.

For less than £500? 😂🤣😂🤣

I paid £450 for one off eBay recently.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Are they crap? No, not at all. You may unfortunately have a duff one though. Obviously they don’t have an inherent design flaw that they all break the same way – otherwise we might have heard about it.

As a shock design, it’s good. The newer ’21 model is actually a great shock – i’d go so far as to say it’s better than the EXT Storia I have on the bikes I run it on.

chakaping
    Free Member

Comparing a v2 Storia to a few years’ old X2, the Storia is a little bit better but it only really shows up on wet roots or when you’re really tanking it.

Astonishing grip when I had it a bit undersprung though. Trying to get hold of the in-between spring to test.

sharkattack

I’ve calmed down a bit now. I know I need to buy a shock. I was just frustrated because it’s taken me months to psyche myself up for a bike ride after a rollercoaster 18 months and when I wanted it, it wasn’t there. I just felt so defeated by it. But if I don’t get it sorted I might leave it for another year and I don’t want that. Definitely going to miss out on the current heat wave though.

I think fox stuff is expensive crap but they have a good marketing budget.

100% true.

Fourth time with the exact same problem?

That’s not normal, no. I’ve got two which have been ridden loads and never done that.

Pretty certain I have a dud and that lots of people have had no issues with them. I just didn’t demand a replacement within the warranty period.

As a shock design, it’s good. The newer ’21 model is actually a great shock – i’d go so far as to say it’s better than the EXT Storia I have on the bikes I run it on.

In what way is it better than a Storia? I actually loved the way the back end of the bike felt when it worked and I like the adjustability of air. It’s also nearly £300 cheaper for a new X2 and if anything went wrong with it I’d know to send it straight back for a replacement. I know people love the EXT but I think the constant squelching noises would be annoying.

teethgrinder

A 2019 X2 came with my bike – I do like it and only swapped out to a DVO Jade as I wanted a coil shock and the X2 needed a service. Both are really good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

In what way is it better than a Storia? I actually loved the way the back end of the bike felt when it worked and I like the adjustability of air. It’s also nearly £300 cheaper for a new X2 and if anything went wrong with it I’d know to send it straight back for a replacement. I know people love the EXT but I think the constant squelching noises would be annoying

Obviously it’s bike dependent, but the adjustability of air is a big selling point. I can use yesterday as a great working example.

For normal riding, I would say I have a fairly standard, if slightly stiffer than most setup, but no wacky compression or rebound. I went racing at the weekend & the difference between local laps, or even fast laps at home Vs ‘race pace’ meant I should have gone up a spring weight. That’s a pain in the ass, as I don’t want a race setup for normal riding, and it was definitely undersprung when pushing on.

The noise of the EXT doesn’t bother me to be fair, I think the difference is a lot of them are set up in person & whilst it’s not a dark art, its really easy to make most shocks feel like sh*t, so even getting the basics right can feel like a significant improvement over a badly set up decent shock.

I always raise an eyebrow when I see people ‘gushing’ over one piece of top end suspension kit to another. I think in reality, well set up & serviced kit can be a fag papers difference & it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

sharkattack

I’m currently torn then. New design X2 from the LBS at mates rates (hopefully) or make a phone call to Mojo, credit card in hand, and buy a posh Italian version.

The EXT comes with 2 springs doesn’t it? I might have one for pootling around local bridelways and a stiffer one for bikeparky, uplifted stuff and Alpine trips. I still fancy myself as a DH rider even thought my current skills will be rock bottom.

What’s the EXT like for DIY servicing? All I can see in the manual is the recommended intervals but no instructions.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m currently torn then. New design X2 from the LBS at mates rates (hopefully) or make a phone call to Mojo, credit card in hand, and buy a posh Italian version.

Which bike? That might help to make a decision.

The EXT comes with 2 springs doesn’t it?

Yes

What’s the EXT like for DIY servicing?

Easier than an X2 I’m informed by the Mojo guys…

The noise of the EXT doesn’t bother me to be fair

It’s really a non-issue I find. Bikes with any kind of chain slap noise bother me a lot more!

I always raise an eyebrow when I see people ‘gushing’ over one piece of top end suspension kit to another. I think in reality, well set up & serviced kit can be a fag papers difference & it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

We all have personal preferences, and largely I will agree with you. The biggest difference with say EXT over Fox or Rockshox though, is that you’re buying it personalised and setup to your own requirements (hopefully!) rather than it being designed to be a little more generic than a fork or shock that is fitted OEM to a bike (or in the case of Rockshox products, having the manufacturing inadequacies dealt with by a rebuild and fresh oils before it is even used). That said, though probably more of a reflection how “princess and the pea” I am over fork setup, I’ve found it has taken a long time to get a setup I’m happy with on my EXT Era on my eBike even after an initial setup with Mojo. I don’t seem to have the same issue with rear shocks though to be fair.

sharkattack

Which bike? That might help to make a decision.

Geometron G16. I bought the full frame, fork, shock and dropper kit and it landed a few days before the Fox, Mojo bust up went public.

To be fair, when the X2 was working I was happy with it. I loved the ground hugging grip and how planted it felt. Unfortunately it kind of glued the bike to the ground when I used to enjoy popping around a bit. When I tried to make it ride a little higher and more lively it lost a lot of the sensitivity. If I could get that suppleness but with a firmer middle to push against I’d consider that an upgrade.

I know I need to just have this conversation with Mojo. Maybe after a couple of pay days.

The other problem is if I further improve the rear end it’s going to throw the 36 RC2 even further behind in comparison. It always felt disappointing. If I have an EXT on the back, I’ll finally have to sort out the fork.

SirHC

Whos servicing the shock?

I’ve always had access to trade pricing and I find RRP absolutely, brazenly offensive.

I wouldn’t mind if the kit was properly designed, tested, manufactured and QC’d, but alas the bike industry is riddled with cretins that can’t even manage half a job.

teethgrinder

Have you tried following the Cane Creek shock guide?

chakaping
    Free Member

If I were in your position I’d give Mojo a bell and tell your story about the shock.

Yes, it’s out of warranty but their customer service is superb and I suspect they’d want to help in some way since you bought the framekit from them.

But don’t overthink it. If you’ve not ridden for a year or whatever, just get a working shock on the bike and get out there.

bigyan
    Free Member

What’s the EXT like for DIY servicing?

Service manual;

http://www.extremeshox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MTBservice-manual-eng.pdf

sharkattack

Whos servicing the shock?

It’s been done by 3 different places so far. None of them said there was anything unusual about it.

If I were in your position I’d give Mojo a bell and tell your story about the shock.

Yes, it’s out of warranty but their customer service is superb and I suspect they’d want to help in some way since you bought the framekit from them.

Fox UK is Silverfish now though isn’t it? I think after almost 4 years they’ll tell me to sling me hook.

Service manual;

Cheers, that looks good. I much prefer to keep things working myself.

I wouldn’t mind if the kit was properly designed, tested, manufactured and QC’d,

Yeah, we are sold a tonne of crap hyped up by marketing waffle and bro-science. My biggest beef is with brakes. Almost all the available options have something horribly wrong with them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fox UK is Silverfish now though isn’t it? I think after almost 4 years they’ll tell me to sling me hook.

You bought it from Mojo, just ring them up and very nicely explain the issue and ask for advice and whether they can help at all.

mahalo

EXT shocks and forks available & in stock through Mojo. if you have access to trade prices then maybe you have access to a contact there or a contact of theirs!?

poah
    Free Member

Yay, let’s spend over half a grand on a stupid little shock for a mountain bike

but you don’t mind splashing out for an EXT shock?

intheborders
    Free Member

I last had the shock rebuilt when it blew up in Les Gets in August 2019. The bike has been hanging in the garage ever since. I was just getting it ready for a ride and realised I had no rebound damping. It kind of feels like the low speed rebound works because it adds a little resistance right at the top of the stroke but on high speed there’s nothing. It’s gone full pogo stick.

When you had it ‘fixed’, did you actually ride it properly to make sure?

mboy
    Free Member

I know I need to just have this conversation with Mojo. Maybe after a couple of pay days.

Do it now, rather than waiting… Those guys would much rather you were riding your bike and having fun than talking about not riding because of a technicality on an internet forum!

Seriously though… Speak to them now, you’ll have an idea whether you want to save up for it, or not…

FWIW I’m on a G15. I’ve been happiest with the Float X2 on it when I compare that same shock on other bikes. It sounds to me like yours has an inherent problem that hasn’t been picked out previously. I know there’s repair shops and there’s people who really know what they’re doing. I don’t think anybody is asking for a witch hunt here, merely trying to suggest that it’s worth speaking to the guys that designed the frame and also know your existing shock as well as the potential replacement, inside out so to speak.

As far as air shocks go anyway, the X2 is one of, if not the best for mid stroke support and suppleness. It’s not a coil for sure, but it’s a step up performance wise from most other air shocks. For me, having test ridden a G1, some of the performance benefits from the Storia on that cannot be translated onto existing bikes (spherical eyelets, coil negative) because of design limitations. The Storia on my eBike is an impressive piece of kit, it replaced a bargain basement X-Fusion O2, had my eBike shipped with an X2 it wouldn’t have been so easy to justify buying it. Were I buying a G1 tomorrow I’d be loving the fact I’m getting the full fat Storia with it, in the meantime I’m saving my pennies and find the X2 is more than adequate on my G15.

YMMV! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, we are sold a tonne of crap hyped up by marketing waffle and bro-science. My biggest beef is with brakes. Almost all the available options have something horribly wrong with them.

Couldn’t agree more! All the usual candidates need their “workarounds” to get them to work satisfactorily, be that a special method to bleed that isn’t in the instructions or whatever… Usually it’s easier to “fix” them at home than it is a rear shock though mind!

sharkattack

Just because I like to bring closure to a thread rather than leave it hanging,

I now have this.

Storia

More importantly I think I’ve managed to flick the switch in my brain which was keeping me locked in the house.

I’ve been out for a couple of local rides, just around the streets and parks to see if my legs still work.  It feels, er fine. I won’t really know until I take it off road which won’t be until the weekend.  It feels very quiet and very planted.

If I want to rant or rave about it I’ll probably post in the Geometron megathread as there’s other users in there.

Now I just want some fun riders under my belt.

argee

Good stuff, can’t see you going wrong if you’ve got that with the usual custom tuning, confidence in your shock is also a big thing, sometimes you just have to find a solution that works and you can get the right feel with.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Is a Fox X2 shock just crap?’ is closed to new replies.