Is a Charge Spoon worth the favourable reviews?

Home Forum Bike Forum Is a Charge Spoon worth the favourable reviews?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is a Charge Spoon worth the favourable reviews?
  • I have had spoon for 2 years and a flux for 4 months. They are the same saddle really. Cheap, strong, comfortable. I like.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Comfier than it looks, and cheap… Especially the cromo version.

Probably best to try the cromo then if you like it, sell it on and get the ti. Cromo versions are still worth only £5 less than new 2nd hand on here, so you lost very little that way.

I’ve got a couple of them and they’re pretty good allround, not as comfy as an SDG Bel Air IMO, but then we’ve all got different shaped arses.

Worth a try anyway, they’re very popular so if you don’t like it someone will have it off you.

pixelmix

I have a Spoon on one bike and a Knife on the other (basically a lighter Spoon). I like them both. They are quite firm, but I find them comfy enough. Good bang for yer buck.

Merak

Yeah, I thought as much. The consensus seems to be affordable comfort, so I will give it a go. Thanks alot.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Recently replaced a knackered Ti Bel-Air with a cro-mo Spoon.

Same weight, just as comfy over distance but much easier to slide off the back of the Spoon.
    Would buy again.
    For me, the small weight advantage of the Ti Spoon wasn’t worth the extra cash over the standard version.

Andyhilton

I have spoons on my mtbs and a knife on my road bike. Great saddles.

Premier Icon sockpuppet
    Subscriber

i agree with the consensus…

my spoon and knife are pretty ace. and for about £20, why not try it anyway.

one on my xc bike, one on my dh bike and one came on my singlespeed road bike (plug) says it all from me really.
    There are probably comfier ones out there but for its price, i’m happy to stick with them for now.

I love em. Got 3 of the cromo ones, all being used on different bikes (HT, FS, commute).

As above, it’s got to be worth a punt!

Broke my Boardman Ti saddle, replaced it with a Ti Spoon (more for the leather than the Ti). Sufficiently comfy that the padded liner shorts now only come out for 4+ hour rides.

Merak

Sold! I like the fact that ti one is leather too. Anyone want to buy a Toupe! 😆

druidh

As above – for £20, take the risk.

I’ve used a Spoon, and latterly the Gusset R saddle (same thing/different badge) and they’re really very good for the money. Original Spoon lasted a couple of years before the stitching started to wear through. The plain Gusset Rs have no stitching so will likely last a bit longer. OTOH, if you like a “bit of rough” to stop you slipping around on the saddle, the Tartan and Denim ones have a cloth-style finish.

I do like the Toupe on my road bike though…….

Merak

Its to replace my winter road bike saddle as the straw that broke the camels back was a week long tour of the Western Isles. I was in some discomfort throughout sit bones were louping. Hence the continued search for the holy grail.

Ive tried Assos shorts, Arione’s Flites, San Marco SKN’s, Rolls, Flite Gel’s its bloody expensive. I also fancied the Aliante as some clubmates, (older) favour them.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Sold! I like the fact that ti one is leather too.

Think they do both a leather and synthetic Ti one, so best to check which one you’re getting.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

i used to have Flites on all my bikes, now they all have spoons, my arse finds them very comfy, so comfy you forget they are there

PJM1974

I’ve run a Spoon for over a year now, it’s practically unworn and until I bought a new Bel Air the most comfortable saddle I’d ever tried. Not bad for £25.

My missus now runs it on her Rock Springs and holds it in very high regard.

Well worth it.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Recently replaced a knackered Ti Bel-Air with a cro-mo Spoon.

Same weight, just as comfy over distance but much easier to slide off the back of the Spoon.
    Would buy again.

Agree with everything except the comfort bit. Spoon is MUCH easier to slide off the back than the Bel Air, is about the same weight, but I still find my Bel Air’s a bit more comfy on a long ride.

Merak

I ask only as I have admitted defeat with my Spesh Toupe. Its like a brick and I am not happy. I have found a tasty price online for a Titanium Spoon and wished to garner some feedback if I may?

I realise physiology has everything to do with it but just wanted some real life reviews from anyone that uses one.

Cheers

billysan

They are comfy, but at the cost of very poor quality control. They are the least symetrical saddles Ive ever come across. Not really a problem on bikes with round seatposts, but on a road bike with an aero seatpost for example you can end up with it pointing sideways. compare a Fizik and a Spoon side by side and you can see where the money has gone.

. . . . . but they are comfy!

I’ve been using one of the brown, leathery looking spoons all year and really rate it. It’s comfy but I’ve been amazed at how well it’s lasted. I tend to wear saddles out pretty quickly, hence why I bought a cheap one, but I’ve done 1000’s of km on it this year and it still looks perfect. I can’t believe it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is a Charge Spoon worth the favourable reviews?’ is closed to new replies.