Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is a chain just a chain?????
  • Grupper205
    Free Member

I’ve never purchased a chain before, but I need to replace the one on my 2011 Orange 5. I’m running a Shimano HG81 10 speed cassette, XT shadow rear mech and Shimano SLX front mech. Any suggestions, or is a chain just a chain????

Cheers!

carbon337
    Free Member

what have you done to it – that bike must be only 2-3 moths old?

Grupper205
    Free Member

Got a branch caught on Thursday night, and snapped my rear hanger, trashed my rear mech and mangled my chain……I was trying to get away fast from something that was roaring at me over Cannock Chase!!!! I could hear a rustling noise ahead of me so shouted to scare what I thought to be a deer away, but the loud growling noise that was returned was very un-deer like!!!! Ha Ha!

nickc

This Shimano one

or

This SRAM one

will do fine.

carbon337
    Free Member

That sounds suspicious – i would always recommend KMC chains over shimano but Im sure someone will come along and contradict this. I have a KMC X9 93 on my 5 and its ace.

Grupper205
    Free Member

I will be needing a 10 speed specific chain, and the bike originally came with a Shimano one. Would you suggest replacing like for like, or are there better versions for similar costs?

nickc

I wouldn’t spend massive amounts on a better chain. You’re losing a bit of weight, and you’ll get a shinier finish…

theboatman
    Free Member

For me a chain is a chain, providing you’re running one that’s right for the the number of gears you have. I have this on my road bike, and my make has it on his mtb 10 speed set up, both shimano with no probs, so seems a bargain to me;

mavic chain bargain

tegski
    Free Member

If it is the new DynaSys 10 speed HG-X set up – see big ring on crank , Shimano recommend their HG X chain only (with special ramps/chamfers etc) – of course they would…not sure if there has been much comment with people using other chains on this system as it is new. I have the new HG-X XT group 10 speed but have been using SRAM chains on previous bikes. Not sure what to do either as have only replaced one chain so far (with “proper” Shimano)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Is anybody worried that something was roaring at him???

Sod the chain you need this:

kimbers

was there a full moon?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ahhh the horror of Bridleway walkers! 😈

Seriously I’ve had too much Baileys tonight…probably get a right banning oops!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is a chain just a chain?????’ is closed to new replies.