Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Is 26" wheels dead.. Can't sell my trek.
  • craig78
    Free Member

Morning. Is my Trek Fuel Ex7 Not selling as its 26inch wheel.. ?? Help this is not another sale advert.. Just asking others opinion on it. Is 26inch wheels really dead

Genuine sale of my Trek Fuel, this bike was purchased for £2k and ridden once and stored in my shed. As in ridden I jumped on it and rode it around the block, the bike us as standard and in brand new condition apart from a few marks where it’s been stored in the shed. Google the bike for spec but it’s tricked out with Fox CTD suspension and is a ideal bike for anyone. Looking for £1350 but open to realistic offers. Willing to post out at cost to buyer. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-trek-fuel-ex-7-13-47307/
    Now advertised for £1050

jam-bo

The classifieds is over there >

br
    Free Member

By dropping it £300 you’ve already admitted that it was too expensive…

Nothing to do with wheel size.

craig78
    Free Member

I’m aware of the for sale section cheers.. Well as always told .. U can always drop the price not increase.

karlsbug
    Free Member

New debate, which is best? an overpriced 26er, an overpriced 29er or an overpriced 27.5ererer.

warpcow
    Free Member

No one cares that you only rode it once, that doesn’t make it anything like “brand new”. It just makes it pretty good condition for a 2nd-hand bike, and since it’s not some £10k superbike, where every wear-and-tear part can cost £100s, then it just doesn’t make the difference you think it does.

craig78
    Free Member

You still got to pedal them either way. I now have a 27.5er. Tbh I like it a lot. Never ridden a 29er but like the way they roll. Seems faster and smoother.

cokie

Normally goes like this;
    Cost of bike > -50% > -10% every year after that.

The bike is still overpriced. It’s a MY ’13.

iolo
    Free Member

You can get a new 2014 29 inch one for 1,470 here.
    Yours is more likely 700-750 pounds at most.
    Good luck with the sale

BoardinBob

Way overpriced. £1200 for example gets you a brand new Canyon Nerve. As above, ~£700 seems right

bombjack
    Free Member

Too expensive. Saying its only been riden once doesn’t make it more appealing to most buyers as they have already been scared off by the price. If I had £1350 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted a new bike I wouldn’t really care if it was 26 or 29″, I’d want to be getting a bargain, and unfortunately that isn’t one.
    There is a staggering amount of good bikes out there for less than half that 2nd hand, sorry to say but its worth more to you (emotionally and physically) than you’ll get for it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Strip it.

craig78
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. Always good to hear what other pple think. I gotta agree. 2013 bike and cost of bikes today must reflect in selling a secondhand bike. Looks like going to take a hit

ahwiles
    Free Member

you can buy this:

for £1500.

that’s your problem.

craig78
    Free Member

What u reckon on stripping it then neilsonwheels

Mister-P
    Free Member

Help this is not another sale advert..

Genuine sale of my Trek Fuel,

I think you’ll find that this IS another sale advert.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Is 26″ wheels dead..

No… they ARE dead

..but not in my garage

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Why are you selling? If you are after another bike offer a px deal in the advert, or accept that its probably worth keeping and running until stuff breaks. 26′ is not dead, but you are selling a mass produced non boutique bike to a small audience. Also look on ebay, see how much they are going for there and offer a buy it now price. Good luck selling.

welshfarmer

I don’t even bother locking my 26er these days while out and about. Even the scroats won’t touch them, as no-one is interested anymore 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

I love the fact that 26 is dead as you get bloody cheap stuff as nobody wants it.
    My 26 inch bikes will do me for the next few years (until they break)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Strip it and sell the bits individually. Stick them on here for a reasonable price or eBay. The frame and forks alone are worth around £600-700. All the other bits should add a couple of hundred to that.

craig78
    Free Member

Not another advert. Just a genuine Q. I appreciate all responses and I will consider all options! Bloody bikes. No basically bought it. We had twins!!! Stuck in shed! Then was looking to get back cycling.. Talking to mate! Had chance of a killer deal on a SAD Giant Trance and just bought it. Hence d! With the kids bikes we have 10 bikes in the shed! So one less would help a tiny bit.

keefmac

what Neilsonwheels said-
    put it up on ebay with a low starting price and a reserve if you like. if it fails to go strip it.
    stuff will go for higher on ebay than in the classifieds here. see the threads by Renton for more advice. (not taking the p*ss by the way Renton if you’re reading this)

joefm

If you are spending a lot of money on a bike, you wouldn’t buy something with an older standard that would make its resale value even less.

Its worth what people will pay. Thank the MTB industry for that

dragon
    Free Member

Apart from it being overpriced as pointed out. You are basically saying it’s cr*p (rightly or wrongly) by admitting you rode it once then bought something else.

richardthird

Big brands sell well on eBay which is a much larger marketplace.

Nice listing on there, with a realistic BIN price.

Most importantly, add your phone number to the text and invite viewings.

Somebody will either hit BIN or more likely phone, view and then haggle the charges off for cash.

slowoldman

A related question. It was 2k when purchased but something equivalent now is 1.2k? So prices have tumbled have they?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Over priced plus not the best components for example most people think 2013 CTD is shit. Split and sell…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did you get any offers? If so then that’s probably what it’s worth.

craig78
    Free Member

To be honest hardly had a sniff. Hence the Q is 26 bikes being pushed out. But it’s all good. Think I will try a bit longer then split if no interest! Or keep… Never have to many bikes

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Renton’s love child…

craig78
    Free Member

We do both ride Giants now ..

flicker
    Free Member

ebay.

10 day auction, 0.99p start with plenty of detailed pictures and a good description (nobody cares how little you’ve ridden it, how much you think it’s worth, what the original purchase price is so leave all that out).

It’ll sell for what people are prepared to pay, not what you feel it’s worth.

xcstu
    Free Member

Just gone 29er and sold both my 26″ bikes no problem..

1 hardtail the other full sus and sold all as parts.. some bits went for almost what I first paid for them.. never try selling a bike as whole as you never get a good return and some folk want something for nothing!! IMO 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

These thrends keep popping up, I’m surprised the mods don’t close them as it’s fairly obviously a sales tactic.

For what it’s worth I sold mY Anthem 26th on here in under a week. How? By accepting a quick sale required a bargain price…hardly rocket science.

deviant
    Free Member

Keep it, use it for winter.

26 inch bikes ride great and i say that as someone with a 27.5 too, i found bigger wheels on a HT made it boring but bigger wheels on my FS made it more capable and had me wanting to hit stuff harder/faster…couldnt get rid of the 650b hardtail fast enough though!

As a complete build you’ll have to come way below 1k i think, sad really as its a good bike but the mindset that pervades MTBing at the moment is that 120mm of suspension isnt enough which is ludicrous when you see the awful standard of riding being displayed out and about on the trails!….nothing like a bit of self delusion and the industry helps matters by pushing the idea that you need 27.5 inch wheels and at least 140mm to ride around a trail centre.

I reckon somebody will buy it for £750, you may get more if you split it but its hassle and might take ages.

Like i said at the start of my post, i’d ‘winterise’ it…fit narrow mud specific tyres, cover it in WD40/GT85/ACF50 etc (not the brakes obviously) and use it when the weather is grimmest, hose it off in the spring and put it away until next winter….makes use of what is still a good bike and saves your new one from the worst of the conditions.

craig78
    Free Member

. It was a genuine Q but not a sales ploy, And as it’s possibly had the complete opposite with reference to selling it. It’s always good to get others opinions! Everyone as one and it’s what I expected. Some other options and points of views. I believe that the industry is pushing 27.5 like it did with 29er and as a rider it’s always good to have options! Would love to keep it! But realistically I havnt the space! 4 girls bike in one shed, 2 mtb, a road bike and a retro zaskar le! So will see what comes. Sell/split/or haggle to keep. The family want a puppy!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its not as simple as wheel size these days you lose nearly as much on a 29er full-suss as well.Shops are packed with brand new 2014 susses with a lot of money of them.Plus a warranty.I sold my Trek EX8 2011 when it was six months old and only got £1260 for it.Yet years ago sold a 4 year old Trek 2003 Liquid and got £800.Market place is swamped.29ers are well fast on open going.
    The facted you cant get much for 26″ is not helping the market people just keep hold of them and don’t buy anything else.I have a mint 2012 Remedy 8 great bike/like to try the 29er one but will get very little for it so will keep it.Still a great bike.Dont see much point in going from 26″ to 650b.

kelvin

It lost half it’s value the moment you wheeled it out of the shop. It’s a bike, not a house, and not an investment.

globalti
    Free Member

Anybody got some 650b disc wheels to sell cheap? I want them to fill the frame better on my trusty Global titanium.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Is 26" wheels dead.. Can't sell my trek.’ is closed to new replies.