Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • is 190k miles a lot
  • Premier Icon racing_ralph
    Free Member

for a t4 that has been maintained very well?

Premier Icon GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Lottery. What’s the gearbox good for?

Premier Icon Ratfighter
    Free Member

Not as much as 200k 🙂

Lottery x2

Premier Icon steveh

As i mentioned in your earlier post it’s a lot of miles. Define very well maintained? For me it’s only very well if it’s had the mid interval oil changes etc I mentioned. Otherwise it’s just had what I’d class as normal care.

Premier Icon falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Its a lot of miles for any vehicle ,irrespective of servicing the arse could have been ragged out of it by a previous owner(as Clint would say are you feeling lucky)
    Rather than look at miles have a look at the general condition of the van,Mainly engine gearbox and running gear

Premier Icon colnagokid

Ive got 185k T5 still going strong, as long as its well looked after the engine should be ok, however youve got to think of the stuff you cant service- electrics, suspension, every thing just generally feeling tired..

Premier Icon Marmoset
    Free Member

V50 here with nearly 100k on it, feels like it’ll do it again. It all depends on condition of wear items such as clutch, brakes etc. If they’re on their way out then you’ll soon spend more than the cars worth, if they’ve been changed lately and someone else has paid for it, then it should be okay.

Premier Icon Smee
    Free Member

Vans like that regularly do upto 300k for parcel firms before being replaced. As above see what condition the rest of it is in.

Premier Icon wellhung
    Free Member

190k is ok if you’ve owned the vehicle for a few years but to buy one at that mileage is a huge gamble regardless of it’s maintenance history. If it’s the £1800 one you posted about i’d leave it unless it was at least half that money it’s not that good a price for the mileage. Basically that engine, suspension, bodywork and electrics have done 50,000 miles more than my 8 year old one in a sahorter space of time.

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

If I had owned the said vehicle for the past 50k or so I could answer that question easily. (however big things tend to go without notice).
    I know theres anecdotal evidence however ANY vehicle at that mileage will have a range of parts that are in the middle onwards of their lifespan. When these tend to stick their head up who knows?

Thing is has the oil been changed 19times in its lifetime? Has the owner(s) abused the vehicle? move on, sure there are LOADS of other T4’s out there. If you did a search and could only find this one in your budget? Then wait? Well its your money I guess.

Ps. I bet the person is selling it as hes spending a fair bit on repairs (bills not present of course to give the game away) but to any buyers he’ll be positive as larry.

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

My Passat it on 175k. The engine feels just like it did 80k ago, and both the clutch and gearbox feel fine. That all said, the rest of the car is feeling a little worn. The dampers were done 40k ago, but I there’s an assortment of suspension/steering related clonks and rattles that I have a feeling are going to be a right PITA to sort out.

No sign of any rust though 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

My mates T4 with 220k on had the gearbox terminally destruct itself on Monday, taking part of the engine with it.

Scrappy time.

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

The only time I’d buy a high miler would be off a family member or close friend. Any other time I’d rather put the mileage on myself.

For instance bro in Law has a Golf GT TDI with 140k on- I know/hear everything about it so I would definitely see the car as a worthwhile risk if he offered it to me.

Premier Icon solamanda
    Free Member

It depends, a friend had a sprinter with 390k on it with no issues till he wrote it off. The VW’s aren’t quite as tough as that. As above, the big issue with high mileage is the ancillaries like suspension.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

Diesel I presume? How old? The TD engine is a great lump I reckon, but watch for the crankshaft pulley wobble as that’s the achilles heel.

My Passat’s on 177k and is fundamentally sweet engine-wise. I’ve fixed a lot of auxilliary stuff tho like water pump etc etc. Needs springs now which is the most annoying thing.

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

Buy a Toyota Hiace? With 1/4 of the mileage? Unless you must be automotive gear queer? 😉

Premier Icon racing_ralph
    Free Member

hiace parts are tres expensive

Premier Icon coffeeking
    Free Member

You’re taking a risk with any second hand car, regardless of age and milage. When buying a second hand car (thats all I’ve ever done) I just make sure I could afford to replace anything that went wrong. IF I cant, or if the replacement costs more than about half the value of the car I’d seriously consider not bothering and buy something cheaper or older that I could afford. Buying newer makes no sense, unless it comes with a warranty you’re still open to major expense – while high miles does tend to lead to failure, there are more than enough cases of newer cars keeling over at sub 50K.

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

coffeeking completely agree and parts maybe expensive however numerousy/frequency of replaced parts versus less time off the road with less frequent more expensive parts?

A cliche but your taking on a car that is in its ‘autumn’ years versus taking a car in its ’30’s’? A no-brainer for me. Sorry, I don’t ‘get’ the T4 thing. NO offence to anyone and RR I dont want to spoil your thread but I do think the T4 thing is a style&substance as oppose to substance&function thought-process.

🙂

Free Member

Hora – as i have tried to be polite and you didn’t get it i will try the more “forecful” approach. My mate who is a qualified mechanic with his own garage has a t4, his mate has a t4, the only people i see with hiaces are decorators. I know who i trust more! And your opinions on many things are skewed so therefore i am now sat with my hands over my eyes shouting la la la

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

OKAY!!! As long as one of these mates doesnt have a vested interest in selling you this particular T4. As I said above I’d only buy off close friends or family on such a high-miler. 🙂

If neither of these are selling you the said I’ll gladly shut up. ..I do mean well but I get too involved 🙁

Free Member

lol – he is a very good friend who i trust and value his opinion. He has no vested interest

Premier Icon jam bo

how close a friend will he be when you get your first big repair bill….

Premier Icon righty
    Free Member

get an autofreetop mazda bongo many very cheap low mileage ones available, its the perfect biking vehicle :mrgreen:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘is 190k miles a lot’ is closed to new replies.