• This topic has 105 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Irritating car safety features – share your gripes
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Automatic door locking when you move off – I drive off my drive and stop to let people in but all the doors are locked

Doors locking when you get out of the car – Take two steps away from the car and all the doors lock so you stand in the rain trying to unlock the car to get the umbrella

Mercedes traction control – when I turn it off, I want it turned off

Yes, I got caught in a shower while locked out of the car today and then sat in the car watching wife get drenched because I couldn’t find a button to unlock the doors for her.

toys19
    Free Member

Fricking auto wipe when you run the washer.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Oh yes, and the rear wiper coming on when you engage reverse even though the screen is clean.

The door mirrors dipping when you reverse so you can see the kerb – fine until you park facing the traffic so the mirror showing you any traffic approaching is dipped but the one near the kerb isn’t

Beeping seat belt warning which you cannot turn off because you have put a bag of shopping on the front seat

mmannerr

Automatic door locking can be configured on/off in most (new) cars without trip to garage. Same with rear wiper.

More annoying features for me are end-of-the-world-imminent warning when opening the car door in slowly moving car, electric handbrake not releasing when seatbelt is not on and seatbelt warning triggered by weight of rucksack.

matt_outandabout

They are not safety – they are just fancy pants, over complex to sell more ‘features’ on a car.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can’t find any way to turn off auto locking on a Merc ML but did manage to stop the door mirror dipping while searching

grilla
    Free Member

RTFM

Oh, and my automatic headlights which never seem to turn off other than for 15minutes at noon each July.

jambourgie
    Free Member

and then sat in the car watching wife get drenched while I pretended to look for the button to unlock the doors for her

That old trick.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The way fuel tanks dont explode really when shot

bails

I know this is the home of first world problems….but complaining about the auto dipping mirrors on your Mercedes is the first world problem to end all first world problems!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Most auto locks are press and hold central locking button to turn off ….

mattbee

Believe me, WCA has had a hefty dose of ridicule for his latest Merc purchase. I’ve seen it, and it’s probably only just first world…

ross980
    Free Member

The auto headlights on my car work great. The auto windscreen wipers on the other hand…

NZCol

The beeping on my electric door on my VW California – can’t disable it and wakes the baby up at night !
    The locking mechanism on the van that means if you have accientally blipped the key when you shut all the doors it deadlocks itself – i got caught out once.

anagallis_arvensis

My mums car turns the music down when you’re reversing. It really irritates me.

br
    Free Member

Can’t find any way to turn off auto locking on a Merc ML but did manage to stop the door mirror dipping while searching

An ML, please tell me it’s your Wife’s car, or if she’s under 45, your Mums?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Seatbelts, crumple zones, air bags, all very irritating.

SkillWill
    Free Member

My Ford Focus told me to “Place Hands On Steering Wheel” – FFS…

bruneep

Low temp warning “ping” at 5c, 5c is not cold…….. 👿

tonyg2003

The steering wheel was shaking the other day. Kinda irritating until I realised it was the Attention Assist which made me realise that yes I was getting tired so I stopped and had a break. Amazing tech really. Otherwise the other stuff? No problem.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

VAG cars that don’t allow you do left foot braking ie as soon as you touch the brake the engine fuel supply slows.

Merc ‘sport’ cars that don’t let you turn the traction off.

All modern cars because they have too much grip.

All modern cars because they are just too big and heavy

Legoman
    Free Member

Oh, and my automatic headlights which never seem to turn off other than for 15minutes at noon each July.

This is a whole lot better than the usual hoards of barely conscious halfwits driving around in semi-darkness/fog/biblical rain without bothering to turn their lights on at all.

crikey
    Free Member

This is a whole lot better than the usual hoards of barely conscious halfwits driving around in semi-darkness/fog/biblical rain without bothering to turn their lights on at all.

I know!

It means you have to actually pay attention…

hot_fiat

The vw group central locking palarva. Not living in Johannesburg or South Central LA I just want all the doors unlocked when I press unlock.

bearnecessities

At this time of year, any car that’s not a Ford, because they don’t have heated front windscreens!

Button handbrakes – what if I need to do an emergency J turn?

andydicko
    Free Member

I’ve got a heated windscreen in my car, and it’s not a Ford!

mogrim

Automatic wipers, always either too fast or too slow.

mintimperial

My car beeps when I’m in reverse (inside, you can’t hear it outside). Cos I can’t tell if I’m in reverse by the fact that my car is going backwards, you know. Helpful.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not a safety feature but I hate those cars that urge you to change gear to save fuel!

I’ve only experienced this in hire cars, like I cared about fuel consumption in a hire car!

brooess
    Free Member

All the ones that make drivers feel so safe that they have to speed and generally drive like a lunatic to get some level of excitement back into their driving… it’s making cycling less pleasant than it should be!

Cougar

fine until you park facing the traffic

Which of course you’d never do because it’s against the Highway Code.

Beeping seat belt warning which you cannot turn off because you have put a bag of shopping on the front seat

I’d come in here to nominate that. Bloody irritant that you can’t turn it off. The other thing that sets mine off is it you happen to pop the seatbelt a microsecond before you’d come to a complete stop, it’ll sit there going “bing, bing, bing” until you’ve plugged it back in again, even if you get out of the car.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Not so much a safety feature, but whoever designed, implemented and OKd Vauxhall’s one-touch indicators on their Vectras needs to be taken out the back and shot, for the good of all mankind. I’m not fussy about cars – I drive a Vectra – but indicators that behave in a predictable way would be nice…

nealglover
    Free Member

The beeping on my electric door on my VW California – can’t disable it and wakes the baby up at night !

Two options.

1- Put the door in manual mode at night and close it normally,

2- Take the sliding door interior trim panel off, cut the wire to the beeper.

Both fairly simple if it really bothers you.

shifter
    Free Member

I rode a motorcycle 25 years ago that knew to turn the radio up as speed increased, why DON’T cars do that?

djglover
    Free Member

In the Skoda Yeti the rear wiper comes on if you have the front wipers on the first, non intermittent setting, but the rear wiper switched OFF? WHY!!

Ambrose

They do, well my Berlingo does anyway.

fasthaggis

When the car auto-jumps a metre to one side ,to let a filtering motorcyclist with full beam and hazards ride past.
    That’s really annoying 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

I rode a motorcycle 25 years ago that knew to turn the radio up as speed increased, why DON’T cars do that?

EVEN my 206 does that, it will be in the settings….

nealglover
    Free Member

They do don’t they ?

My old R32 did and that was years ago.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Just keep the front seatbelt clipped in?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Irritating car safety features – share your gripes’ is closed to new replies.