Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • Irrational hatred of a phrase
  • stany
    Free Member

Thank you so much.
    If you’re grateful, say thank you. If you’re very grateful, say thank you very much.
    Where did the so come from? And why?!
    I just hate the sound of it, not that I’m so bothered I would aks anyone to rephrase.
    Any other evolutions of our language out there that should be bothering me?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m with you so much on that one.

duncancallum

Bothered? You need too chilax

These among many….

lodious
    Free Member

The overuse of the word ‘narrative’ by R4 presenters….it’s driving me up the wall.

DezB
    Free Member

That new McDonalds advert… “can I get…” argh I have to switch it off every time 😡

stany
    Free Member

Can I get…?
    To which you receive the classic primary teachers response of ‘I don’t know, can you?’ (Usually after ‘please sir, can I go to the toilet?’)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh the “can I get” thing, I want to tear my ears off whenever I hear that. It’s such an ugly turn of phrase, it’s not asking, it’s taking – vulgar and aggressive.

Biggest one at home is “do” my family don’t “make”, “change”, “build”, “cook” eventing is “do” it drives me nuts, especially not it seems I’ve started saying it myself. If I hear “do me a cup of tea” again… I’ll tut at the laziness of it.

Bregante

Thank you so much

Couldn’t agree more. I get an daily email from somebody at work which I do actually need to read but it has that phrase in her signature line.

I’ve developed so much hatred for that phrase that I carefully scroll down to the last line of the content because if I read that bloody line it sets me off.

matt_outandabout

“Oh my days”

😈

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

People who try to act younger or give the impression that they are younger than they are by posting acronyms rather than full text . Presumably because they can’t spell or are just lazy . Instant **** status .

squirrelking
    Free Member

Grammar nazis, the lot of them. Nobody likes a smartarse.

Oh and ‘totes’. Morseo when followed up with ‘amazeballs’.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I used to work visiting various clients with colleagues and one of my colleagues continually used the phrase “at the end of the day” in our discussions with clients. These visits used to take a whole working day but they felt muuuchh longer. i twitch when i hear that phrase now.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘To be fair’

‘Get in!’

busydog
    Free Member

“that’s crazy” mrs busydog and several of her friends use that to describe everything and anything that is, to any degree, slightly out of the ordinary. Don’t know why it bothers me really, but it does. Don’t know if you hear that in the UK or not.

Also when you make your order at a restaurant and the waiter/waitress responds with “perfect” —-I always want to reply “well it better be perfect as your tip depends on it”.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

“a big ask”

I dont know who started it but it has spread like a cancer over the last few years 👿

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for ‘chilax’

pondo

“Going forward.” Makes my teeth itch – “from now on” is a full syllable shorter and doesn’t sound like it’s been torn from the Big Book Of Lower Management Phrases That Are Supposed To Make You Sound Like Middle Management (In An Aspirational Sort Of Way).

scaredypants

hive mind

pretty much any email sign-off such as “kind regards” “Best wshes” etc (or KR, BW even more so)

Put it away ( 🙁 )

goodnight all*

* I don’t hate that one, just, you know, saying it

BW

SPants

barrytheflea
    Free Member

I cringe when I hear “Time to step up to the plate”… A hideous Americanism if ever there was one.

How about “Time to step up to the crease”?

Sounds a whole bunch better!

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Just seen this on Wiggle reviewing a Brooks saddle of all things!….. “Hard as a rock and super comfy. Go figure?”

Good God!

BillMC

‘Can I get’ and ‘I’m good’

GHill

“Off of”.

tiggs121
    Free Member

“to be honest” – implies that the rest of what you say isn’t.

“just about” – as in ” I just about caught the train” which seems to me that you missed the train!

bruneep

Just saying

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Many sports people use “for sure” and place “super” in front of too many words. I predict your bosses will soon be casually throwing these in wherever they can.

Travis

Using the word ‘kid’ instead of child or children.

They are not baby goats. It just winds me up.

boxelder

Random.
    Absolutely.

iainc

Starting sentences, particularly answers in a conversation with ‘So’….

29erKeith
    Free Member

‘[somebody] messaged me’
    No no no no no! Arrrggghhh
    ‘[somebody] sent me a message’
    Messaged as a verb, absolutely hate it!
    Txt me is ok, emailed me is ok, but messaged! I just hate it with a passion

toys19
    Free Member

What is interesting about this, is that most of you have posted what are essentially harmless, if annoying phrases. Bruneep however has touched on my utter hatred of a certain type of phrase: Weasel words.
    Those words that are insidious in supporting prejudice, unfounded accusations, and spite. These have the capability to damage and will bring people down.

just saying
    inappropriate (the worst of them all)
    apparently
    allegedly
    they say
    (anyone other than yourself) said
    questions have been raised
    common sense

chomp
    Free Member

I got asked to ‘inbox’ someone the other day

had no clue what they meant

(send me a message on facebook apparently)

jekkyl

‘by the same token’…. what token?

Drac

‘Shut uo!’ when something happens as apposed to someone speaking.

They are not baby goats.

Goats don’t have babies.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

The current obsession of the women in my office and “blessing” everyone.

I can understand if I’d just come back from saving baby robbins (oh, bless you)
    but it seems everything is deemed worthy of a bless. “I had a sandwhich for lunch”…..”aw, bless you” (and always with a drawn out yoooooo as if it makes it more sincere)
    you’re not the pope so lay off of the blessing you patronising sods!

globalti
    Free Member

“Literally….”

“I was…. like….”

“On a daily basis.”

Cougar

Goats don’t have babies.

You’re kidding?

Txt me is ok,

It bloody well is not.

I got asked to ‘inbox’ someone the other day

had no clue what they meant

(send me a message on facebook apparently)

Just means ’email’ I thought?

spacey

Bless you – to be used only after sneezing in my opinion, agreed that over use of blessing is appalling.

As is the obsession with “amazing”. My primary school teacher had a crusade against “nice” saying there are much more descriptive words out there. I feel amazing is now firmly in this category too, the 21st century nice.

frogstomp

“For sure”… makes me shudder!

Cougar

Oh, I’ve got one. “lol” as a replacement for punctuation. A bit like the earlier poster’s blessings.

“I’ve just been out for lunch lol I got a sandwich lol” Are you seriously sitting there laughing out loud at the fact you went out for lunch? Weirdo.

timidwheeler

Years of age.

For example – he is 25 years of age. I don’t know why but I hate it. He is 25 years old, sounds so much better.
    Sports commentators are the worst. It’s starting to effect my enjoyment of the Tour coverage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Irrational hatred of a phrase’ is closed to new replies.