• This topic has 27 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by davros.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ironing
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

F.M.L. I hate ironing.

GolfChick
    Free Member

God I can’t remember the last time I needed to iron! Just hang stuff correctly and sit in it for five minutes, boom creases gone!

MoreCashThanDash

Love ironing, great way to spend time with a podcast.

el_boufador

NO!

kilo

Get a cleaner who irons, leave shirts at the launderette or just don’t bother. Screw ironing it’s a completely waste of time.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Iorning? Is this something to do with black smithing or metalology? A bit like the reverse of alloying?

dyna-ti

The family got me an iron after i moved into a more permanent home.

They’ve never bought me another after finding out i use it for ironing on wood veneers.

I mean what better use is there 😕

reeksy

35 degrees right now and I really do need to do some ironing at some point today … not looking forward to it

funkmasterp

The ironing board is a rare thing in this house. So rare in fact that my now five year old daughter cried when I last used it as she didn’t know what it was. I think she was three or possibly four at the time

fasthaggis

*Love a bit of ironing,great way to spend time with a favourite film (last one was MicMacs).
    Since leaving home I have never expected anyone else to do my shirts,in the past I used to do all the kid’s school stuff as well.
    I am also very handy with a vacuum cleaner 😉 😜
    * sorry, this should really be in the aging thread 😆
    Take!

The ironing board is a rare thing in this house. So rare in fact that my now five year old daughter cried when I last used it as she didn’t know what it was. I think she was three or possibly four at the time

Trying to visualise this, kinda made me laugh. Poor mite.

thepurist

I mean what better use is there

My grandfather designed hinges and the machines to make them. For one hinge he needed a temperature controlled plate to precisely melt a thingy (soz, don’t know the technical details!) and after trying some industrial hot plates they ended up going back to how he did the prototype and the machine they built had a bunch of Morphy Richards irons attached to an arm.

And I’m fine with a bit of ironing, but only when needed, and Covid/WFH has effectively killed the office dress code so no more faff with ‘work shirts’.

JAG

I’m happy with a bit of ironing – headphones on and some music and it’s a pleasant way to spend an hour.

BUT I try to iron when it’s raining/cold/dark so as to not waste good ‘outside’ time.

prettygreenparrot

Ironing? 🤷🏻‍♂️ not done any for years. Neither has my SO. Our ironing board and iron lay unloved, unused, and unmissed in the laundry room.

chaos

I kept an old travel iron purely for melting wax into the base of my skis.

fasthaggis

prettygreenparrot’s laundry room –>>
    wrinklies

😉🤣🙃

ampthill

We do own an iron. Well I’m 90% sure. Possibly a board as well.

rone

It was my hated chore (and I still would do many other things ) but – get yourself a dry press.

Stick a podcast on – and it’s not so horrific.

https://www.fastpress.co.uk/fastpress_info.htm 🙂 The website has a Viz ring to it.

You need a bit space to leave it set up.

Blackflag
    Free Member

If you wear shirts to work, don’t underestimate the power of a v neck jumper. Ironing no longer required.

desperatebicycle

Nope. not something I’ve done in the 2020s

james-rennie

Two of my children are still at school, so every weekend I put on a podcast and get busy with 10 white shirts/blouses to iron , and that’s fine.

The hellish part is doing the girl’s pleated skirts/kilt, there are no shortcuts and I hate it.

fossy

Just hang my shirts and trousers. Creases soon drop out. Not too much point in ironing as my work stuff goes in a pannier bag, so comes out slightly creased anyway. The iron only really sees service when MrsF is sewing.

pocpoc
    Free Member

5 shirts each week for the eldest school uniform, that’s enough. Middle child starts there in september so going to have to do 10! Joys of WFH now mean I don’t have to wear shirts everyday anymore.
    Podcast on earphones and it soon passes.
    My biggest problem is that at 6ft2in the board is far too low and hurts my back. I can’t justify a new, taller board because it doesn’t get used enough. Last week I bodged a new hook for the top of the leg to make it higher but now it’s a bit unstable.

doris5000

Yep, I swear by a freshly ironed shirt – every wedding, funeral or job interview.

So about once a year

andy4d

I do most of the ironing in the house. I do all the kids and my own but I refuse to do my wifes as her clothes all seem to have pleats/folds/ties etc that are a bugger to do and have more wrinkles than a scrotum plus her wardrobe seems to consist of the floor/bannister or chair so no point wasting my time.

footflaps

If you wear shirts to work, don’t underestimate the power of a v neck jumper

I’ve been using that trick recently!

temudgin

When no one is looking, I use the iron as a hot plate to solder surface mount components.

davros

Once a year, if that.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.