Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Iron mountainbikes.
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m considering buying a steel frame but concerned about durability. Most of my riding is in Wales and I’m worried about resistance to the inevitable falls and rock strikes. Anyone own an steel bike and regret it? I can’t afford to waste money on a broken frame.

thepurist

Steel is rubbish for use as a frame material as it fails progressively when exposed to water, which is pretty much unavoidable in Wales. How about something water resistant like plastic?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d seriously think against steel, it has no benefits over alloy or carbon.

Alloy will last forever in wet conditions, Carbon is the same. A little heli tape on carbon will make it rock strike proof.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Alloy will last forever in wet conditions

(assuming that you mean aluminium alloys)

this is a common misconception.

racefaceec90

are you referring to a huffy (iron bike) they can survive a nuclear explosion 😉

matt1986
    Free Member

I wouldnt go for carbon im still not convinced by it and if a rock dents you alloy frame it will still be ridable the same cannot be said for carbon

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldnt go for carbon im still not convinced by it and if a rock dents you alloy frame it will still be ridable the same cannot be said for carbon

The carbon frame I rode for a year or so after I’d “dented” it (in an impact which would likely have destroyed an alu/steel frame, or at least bent it so much as to make it unrideable) must have been a figment of my imagination then.

Rorschach
    Free Member

if a rock dents you alloy frame it will still be ridable (until it cracks) the same cannot be said for carbon (until you get it repaired,usually quite cheaply).

matt1986
    Free Member

Well I can only go by what I know and the people I have spoken to DH riders and mechains and people I ride with who have all been of the oppinion that carbon is not worth the money if it cracks its a new frame needed no matter what.

I surpose it depends on what riding you do.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I can only go by what I know and the people I have spoken to DH riders and mechains and people I ride with who have all been of the oppinion that carbon is not worth the money if it cracks its a new frame needed no matter what.

How many of them have owned or ridden carbon frames? How many of them are materials experts? How many of them are completely unaware of the (relatively) cheap carbon frame repair services available?

You can go with what you know and the hearsay you’ve got from others – doesn’t make you right when opining on a forum.

Don’t you need carbon to make steel

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

I’d seriously think against steel, it has no benefits over alloy or carbon.

Apart from being repairable with fairly common welding equipment, that can be found in most towns.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Have you considered copper ?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you look at how many classic bikes are around that are made of steel you will see many of them have lasted a good 70 years,

I have a muddyfox that has seen some serious use and is over 20 years old.

A steel frame is likely to last long enough for you to get bored of it.

iDave
    Free Member

is this a troll?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I owned a steeled bike. i’ll probably never see it again 🙁

matt1986
    Free Member

How many of them have owned or ridden carbon frames? How many of them are materials experts? How many of them are completely unaware of the (relatively) cheap carbon frame repair services available?

You can go with what you know and the hearsay you’ve got from others – doesn’t make you right when opining on a forum.

So this makes you right does it? I will listen and take advice of people with more experience than me and mechanics who fix the things. In my oppinion carbon is not worth the money unless your a pro and get them free.

aracer
    Free Member

I will listen and take advice of people with more experience than me and mechanics who fix the things. In my oppinion carbon is not worth the money unless your a pro and get them free.

I’ll take that as a “none” regarding how many have ridden carbon frames and “no experience” of hitting one with a rock then – which makes their experience considerably less than mine. You’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re still wrong with your initial assertion about the survivability of carbon and metal frames following impact – you could just have backed down when I provided my initial direct evidence.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Iron mountainbikes.’ is closed to new replies.