Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Iron horse mkiii, any good?
  • hugh_b
    Free Member

Hey guy’s, quite tempted by an iron horse mkiii frame as i can get one for reasonable money! Anyone got any experiences of one, how do they ride both up and down hill, all mountain etc? I’m not sure what size to go for either as I’m currently on a medium giant trance, i’m 6ft but i like a ever so slightly smaller bike with more stand-over as the downhills are more fun that way!

So any reviews, views, experiences on these frames?

Hugh

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Better than a Pitch. Better than a Meta 5. Great bike.

kiwijohn

I’ve mine 2 years now. Outstanding ride quality, so plush you don’t notice it doing its job.
    Very good climbing, I’ve cleaned technical climbs on it that have always thrown me on the HT.
    A frame up build could be quite light. Mine is 31lbs from the shop, 19inch, with Pikes.
    Only issue I’ve had is a cracked swing arm, replaced under warranty. There was a welding fault on the 07 frames. Check MTBR Iron Horse forum for more on that.
    They are a fantastic bike, sadly out of production due to Iron Horses “issues”. When mine dies, I’ll have to get a Turner 5 Spot. Just an expensive rendition of a MkIII.

rOcKeTdOg

i thought iron horse had gone out of business/sold the name on due to spiralling debts, think i read it somewhere, oh here
    http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/press%20release/bankrupt-iron-horse-owes-5-million/dirt-1234721.html
    warranty could be an issue

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve bought one pretty recently, and I like it so far – although I’ve not had it long enough to discover all the niggles that will annoy me.

Pedals up things suprisingly well, and is pretty good on the way down, too 🙂

Only things to note are that it’s a short bike, I’d’ve thought you’d want to be looking at a large. If you can’t try one before buying then compare the top tube lengths with your current bike at least.
    Also, headangle on mine (’06 frame) seems pretty steep, I think they fixed it for later frames though.

And yeah, as others have said, Iron Horse are no longer – so you might have warranty issues.

hugh_b
    Free Member

ok thanks guy’s. A friend has actually just ordered a 17″ frame after i showed him how good a price i could get one for so i’ll wait to see what the sizing is like on that!

According to the UK importer, warranty is not an issue and iron horse will be taken over by another firm so i should be ok.

Thanks

Hugh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Iron horse mkiii, any good?’ is closed to new replies.