Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ipod listen when riding
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Question, how are people carrying Ipods when riding etc ? Im wanting to listen to mine when riding but my Jersey only has one pocket on the back, i don’t ride with a rucksack or anything. Tried sticking it in the backpocket but for the earphones to reach up they’d have to be looooooooong.

Solutions ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Dunno, just stick mine in the front pocket of my Zymes. You wearing Lycra or something to have no pockets?

Offroading
    Free Member

Im wearing some Fox High Freq shorts – but the top pocket doesnt have a zip and the two pockets that do have zips are across the knees so it’s not practical to put it in there. Jersey top on has one pocket as mentioned 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

I only use it when commuting – always on an armband. It’s a nano, so not sure if this’d be any good for bigger ones.

macmclaren
    Free Member

no camelbak or anything??

get an arm band (ipod specific)

Offroading
    Free Member

Nope no camelbak, i only carry a multitool and phone with me when i go out.

Arm band might be an idea…

sockpuppet

get a shuffle and clip it somewhere convenient

Sandwich

iPhone goes in the rear pocket and the headphone lead runs inside the jersey and up into the pocket. Reduces the chance of the cable snagging on anything whilst riding.

ourmaninthenorth

Ipod shuffle and cheapy phones with a long enough lead. Shuffle clipped inside pocket, lead goes out of pucket, under hem, up back inside jersey and then loop the cable through helmet straps.

On the road, I tend to have only one earphone in, so I can still hear what’s going on around me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine goes in my back pocket just fine, cable goes up and over my shoulder.

Beagleboy

Sorry for a slight hijack, but I just don’t get this at all. What do you get out of wearing headphones and listening to music while you ride? Don’t you want to hear the birdsong? What about the different crunchy/squelchy noises from your tyres as you ride along? Even the silence, punctuated by tortured breathing is a sort of music? I listen to my iPod when I’m stuck on the bus commuting to work, or in the house on a rainy day. I don’t want to take the world with me when I go riding, I want to get away from it and into the countryside with it’s music!

Confused am I.

B. 😕

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i listen to mine when i’m am road riding and mtb’ing. on the road, it goes in my back pocket and headphones reach fine. on the mtb, it is usually in my camelback, or sometimes my pocket – again reach is fine. i don’t use the ipod headphones for riding as i don’t find they stay in, so maybe that’s why mine reach.

Offroading
    Free Member

Beagleboy – i try (weather allowing) to ride 6 days a week – doing the same routes etc can get a bit dull at times so its nice to have some music.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Good tunes, sunny days and singletrack is one of lifes best pleasures for me! Some people don’t get it, some people do; I definitely do. Normally switch it off for any really tricky descents where I really have to concentrate and want to hear any noises coming from the bike.

Normally put mine in my shorts pocket but it’s pretty exposed there if I fall. On some of my shorts the pockets don’t close but it seems to stay in there just fine regardless.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

My commute is 15 miles of towpath, without music I think I would fall asleep.
    It is nice to turn it off somedays and enjoy some silence but there is nothing better than really hammering along with some suitable paced music….
    Mine sits in my shorts pocket with no problems, then up underneath my jersey so no cables are hanging around.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Agree with ricochet_rob – music breaks the monotany of a commute.

I use a Shuffle clipped on to the chest strap of Camelbak – enables me to use a short headphone cable.

I only tend to listen to music when commuting (road and/or towpath) but not when offroading.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I used to all the time, occasionally I still do but rarely. It’s too much of a faff about.

When you get the right track on the right trail it can feel pretty amazing. Bit like being the star in your own mtb movie, it can be very motivating. Or another way to say that it is it can encourage you to go faster and harder than you would otherwise. Thrash ftw.

DrP

I use mine on-road most times. I’m actually faster with a bit of pendulum making my ears bleed.
    Off road, I can take it or leave it. If it’s very technical the music distracts me (it could be having the phones in i suppose) and regularly fall off on stuff that i manage fine without tunes!

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

MisterGnar:

Bit like being the star in your own mtb movie, it can be very motivating.

Whenever Since We Last Spoke by RJD2 comes on my ipod i always feel like Darren Berrecloth in that scene from ROAM. Then i crash usually.

snakebite
    Free Member

the new Fox clothing has mp3 specific bits for yor wires innit.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

use an Ipod shuffle clip mine on to strap on hydration pack off i go tend to use it when doing local loop as ive ridden this route in various form for about 15 years find uptempo dance and punk tends to work for pushing me along

nickc

Use one on the road, and have used one during all night stints at Mayhem, and D2D, but wouldn’t normally use one on a regular MTB ride. Too much of a distraction.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

As much as I like music, I can’t ride listening to it. I need to hear the screams of walkers as I approach.

jojoA1
    Free Member

In an arm band for the road and it can go under clothing if it’s damp. the music helps you get in a rhythm. Don’t listen to music when I’m off road. I’m mildly with Beagleboy on that score.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ipod listen when riding’ is closed to new replies.