Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ipod FM Transmitter
  • sc-xc

Our old car had a tape deck so we could use a cassette adaptor, but the new one doesn't. What's a good FM transmitter? There's so many out there…

skidartist
    Free Member

Anything that lets you tune below 88.1, otherwise you'll be forever trying to retune in built up areas.

Unless the CD player is very precious to you, you might find that a new player with a mini jack on the front will cost around the same as a decent transmitter and is a lot less hassle.

superlurch
    Free Member

I bought a Belkin "Tunecast" when I was in the same situation as you. It was a bit cack… always needed re-tuning every few miles.

I ended up doing what skidartist suggested.

🙂

sc-xc

just seen this thing that looks like it could work…plug into the back of the stereo on the CD Changer out…pretty cheap as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fm tuners are universally shit. I have tried about three and gave up. From now on, every car I get will have full iPod connectivity – easier to use and it actually works

Free Member

I have a little fm transmitter, and yes it 'works' as in I can hear the music, however, it sounds like a really bad alba c90 cassette tape that's been used, with sellotape over the 'record' tabs…. It requires re-tuning every so often and I have to pick up the ipod to skip a track/whatever.

What i'm trying to say is, spend a few quid and find a head unit that can accept either an ipod connection, or one with a line in.

As it happens, I sourced my folks a kenwood cd head unit with bluetooth & microphone and an ipod kit for £80 (from a mate who removed it from his van) ebay could be a good choice!

jt

jedi

i got a cheap digital one from a garage for 8 quid.
    works well

robhughes
    Free Member

got a sony ericsson one for my phone and it is absolutly spot on.
    no hiss or any distortion
    maybe just lucky

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Much of it depends on where the car aeriel is compared to the transmitter as they have (legal requirement) very short ranges. This can be improved by googling instructions on tweeking the transmitter.

sc-xc

Cheers all. The FM transmitter would have been a last resort as some mates have had problems with them. The thing in the link up there ^ fits into the Aux out, and provides a minijack socket for the ipod…hopefully that will work.

Pete
    Free Member

I use one of these

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/am-88t.html

Whilst not CD quality it does work quite well,

br
    Free Member

The re-turn really depends on where you are driving – if inside the M25 its a pain, anywhere else its a minor irritation.

Belkin do one that will re-tune at a touch, but then you still have to re-tune your radio.

I had a fixed line installed, runs through my car stereo – works great.

skidartist
    Free Member

inside the M25 its a pain, anywhere else its a minor irritation.

Along the length of the M8 its like having forks jabbed in your eyes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ipod FM Transmitter’ is closed to new replies.