Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Iplayer and chromecast with a VPN from IPad
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi , I’m having trouble casting iplayer from and ipad. I use a VPN to watch Iplayer abroad on my ipad. I would like to chromecast this to the TV in the lounge, but it wont let me. I  it seems that because chromecast and the ipad are on separate networks it won’t work.

I’ve thought about using a wifi hotspot etc, had a quick go last night with no joy.  the other route I guess is a VPN on the router itself, but that is getting complicated

Any thoughts / solutions?

We have a TV licence don’t worry.

Ewan
    Free Member

Essentially, chromecast works by the app on your phone / tablet / whatever, telling the chromecast to start a new stream on the chromecast at a given point completely separately to the one on your phone (this is why you can turn your phone off and the chromecast keeps playing). For that reason it’s completely bypassing your VPN (which is on the tablet) so it won’t work to cast anything geography restricted. Mirror casting is the only exception to this (which is your tablet streaming it’s screen to your tv), but you may face problems with sound being out of sync and non smooth playback with this.

As far as I know the only solution is to stick the VPN between the chromecast and the internet connection – essentially a VPN on the router.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers Ewan, as I thought .  Is there a relatively simple way of doing this that will still allow access to Netflix , hbo nordic and ps4  here in sweden, plus iPlayer on chromecast?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ewan
    Free Member

I guess it’d depend if your router will let you have a VPN on it. Most wouldn’t, you could probably get a raspberry pi to act as a wireless access point and you could then stick a VPN on that, and have it connected via ethernet to your router. It has all the hallmarks of a PITA tho…

simon_g

Chromecast tries to set up its own stream direct.

Apple Lightning to HDMI adaptor plus a long HDMI lead would work. I bought one ages ago for a work thing but it’s been handy since for watching films on hotel room TVs or things like this where you have an app on the iPad to stream something but it’s not supported by whatever streaming thing you’re using in the TV.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@ewan yes I tried using my laptop as a WAP , briefly tried it but yes a PIMA started developing 🙂

@simong
    , interesting, hadn’t thought of that.  I wonder if that would work for skygo too, the holy grail…. +

krixmeister

What VPN are you using? I’ve found Netflix in particular to no longer work over the VPNs I use.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

nah Netflix we use the Swedish version , same with HBO.   that’s all done through the PlayStation 4.  Sky go and  Iplayer is on the ipad.via a VPN on that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Iplayer and chromecast with a VPN from IPad’ is closed to new replies.