Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iphotocloudbackuptrackworld.com?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Am I missing something? how is there nothing out there that can do this simple task?

We have a nice MacBook Pro and a couple of iPhones in the house (one 5 and one 4s), we’ve got about 50GB of photos in a combined iPhoto library.

Now the MBP is one of these new fangled SSD affairs which makes me think if it dies everything will vanish rather than be sat recoverable on the old HDD. I’m also fond of the “if the data is not in two different places it doesn’t exist” concept.

So can someone point us towards a quick, dependable and secure online back up for iPhoto?

So far I have tried:

Crashplan – very slow, to the point that it had almost synced nothing after 2 weeks – sacked.

Dropbox – seemed to be working, then I realised that its duplicating my iPhoto library locally!! that turns 50gb into 100gb!!! wtf!?! – sacked.

iCloud – only backsup your “photo stream” thats cock. – sacked.

We’re not adversed to paying, we just want something that works and will be trouble free, help us ITdirectortrackworld.com you’re our only hope…

daveagiles
    Free Member

Have you tried Macdropany http://www.zibity.com/macdropany. Planning on giving it a go later on today. It may solve your problem with dropbox?

Also, crashpan works for me. Took a long while to load everything up there, but quiet happily ticks over now. Maybe needs reconfiguring?

Markie
    Free Member

Another + 1 for CrashPlan… Took about a month to upload everything, but sweet as a nut since.

MrNutt
    Free Member

my concern with crashplan is that if its going to take at least a month to upload everything how long is it going to take to restore anything?

The dropbox option would be ideal if it didn’t duplicate everything locally, maybe it’s possible to set it up to host the local dropbox folder on a stand alone local pc? still its stupid backing up the same folder twice at the same location.

Markie
    Free Member

my concern with crashplan is that if its going to take at least a month to upload everything how long is it going to take to restore anything?

My speeds in the sticks are 6 down and 512 up, hence the time taken to upload 250Gb – getting it back would be much quicker.

Alternatively, http://www.backblaze.com (a Crash Plan competitor) offers an extra service (as in on top of the normal ‘download it yourself’ one) where for a fee they send you your data on an ssd drive.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Local backup to a time machine or equivalent NAS?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Flickr? Now gives 1tb free and integrates with iPhoto. Just press the share button. Am currently doing this for my photos. Problem is it takes ages though

MrNutt
    Free Member

my concern with the likes of flickr is that don’t you end up signing over the rights to your photos to them?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Don’t think so. I make sure mine are only visible to me. I could be wrong though.

Sandwich

Dropbox will work if you move the iPhoto library to the local dropbox folder from your pictures folder. When you fire up iPhoto after the move hold down the option (alt) key as you double click and tell it where the library is. Robert is then your mothers or fathers brother.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Are you sure Sandwich? Dropbox tech support never suggested that!

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=103960

Sandwich

Yes, the local folder on your HD will accept the iphoto library file, (the one that contains all the photos that you currently see when using iPhoto normally) and will duplicate that up to the cloud. Don’t import the individual photos to dropbox.
    The quick test I did earlier the library file was seen in the new location automatically, the 33GB library looked like it may take a while to upload though.

The tech support chap is probably not a native Mac user. I get to dabble professionally which can be an advantage.

Sandwich

iPhoto move by Hamster, on Flickr

Like this

CountZero
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iphotocloudbackuptrackworld.com?’ is closed to new replies.