• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • iPhone/bath interface – End of world content!
  • fenred
    Free Member

I know this has been asked a million times before but no time to search…the end of the world is nigh!!

GF’s 13YO daughter just submerged her iPhone in the tub…The fallout and current trauma is now apocalyptic! 😯

I’ve placed the phone in a bag full of rice and its currently residing in the airing cupboard….How long before I check for signs of life/any other corrective action/advice please?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Current advice is to avoid that as it can accelerate the corrosion apparently. I read it his as mine to a swim down the bog. I grabbed it quick sharp and shook it to get as much water out and as possible. Then I just left it overnight on kitchen roll. Don’t know whether I just got lucky, but mine was fine the next day. Charging was a bit iffy the first time, but after that it’s been perfect

pk13

2 days for my work Nokia . Change the rice daily.

You can get a kit that washes out the crap.

http://www.handtec.co.uk

IA

As above. Though leaving it longer than you think is the way to go, better than turning on too early.

If it’s unhappy turning on, the battery is the thing most likely to need replacing. Maybe not too hard to DIY depending on what model iPhone?

For future bath time iPhone antics may i recommend:

Waterproof Phone Cases

(well, i use mine for when out in the rain, I’m not snap chatting in the bath or whatever a 13yo is probably up to…)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Dropped mine down the loo and it fizzled off soon after I rescued it.
    BAg of rice on top of the boiler and two days later plugged it in and gave it a try – nothing. Left it plugged in and a couple of hours later it was fine.
    No ill effects since and that was about 8 months ago.
    Drop it in saltwater and you can throw it away immediately.

stumpy01

Mate of mine did this, kept turning phone on every other day and had all but given up when it came on after 2 weeks.

Sandwich

Which version iPhone? 4 and 5 versions can have the front easily removed (if you have the pentalobe screwdriver) to improve drying. See ifixit for details

fenred
    Free Member

Thanks all. It’s a 4s and less than a year old so hoping if it doesn’t turn back on it will dry out sufficiently enough that the genius chaps will replace 👿

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Liquid sensors will have triggered one would assume. So the genii will wag their fingers and offer a £166.44 replacement

If it doesnt turn on i’ll take a look for you

allfankledup

A friend of mine* dropped his phone into a bucket of water whilst cleaning his van.
    Although the initial signs were not positive, the phone eventually recovered (rice/boiler)

A couple of months later the phone went into meltdown – and apple took it to bits, checked it out and replaced it

No mention of liquid indicators etc being triggered.
    *usual poetic license here

br
    Free Member

Never ceases to amaze me how careless folk are with a device costing upwards of £400 – my wife is no better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘iPhone/bath interface – End of world content!’ is closed to new replies.