Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • iPhone
  • grynch
    Free Member

ok.. I know this question has been asked to death already but.. I’m thinking of getting an iPhone ( if I can renogtiate my current mobile contract ) but here’s the deal…
    should I buy one now.. nice cheap prices on the phone and the contract at the moment

or wait for the next super dooper iPhone that will probably be announced two minutes after I sign the contract on one.

debate and discuss ( or just tell me to sod off and go back to A&A )

kiwijohn

May as well get one now if you want it. Update due mid year in apple years. Should be 32GB as well.
    Mac rumours for all the goss

cp

wouldn’t exactly call the current deal cheap!

and, IMO, it’s funcitonality is still too limited – e.g. maps, a useful thing to have downloaded to the phone in foreign countries… but you have to download the data live which would cost a fortune abroad. unlike the nokia system where you can actually store maps on the devices.

the ability to not dl and store for later viewing iplayer content is also a put off for me..

amongst several other things. interestingly, the nokia 5800 does both of the above and is cheaper 🙂 ok, the interface might not be as nice, but it’s functionality is potentially better in certain areas.

grynch
    Free Member

cp – Member

wouldn’t exactly call the current deal cheap!

cp.. kinda depends both on where ya are.. and your viewpoint eh?

me? 300frs for 16mb is a deal.

and thanks for the link kiwi!

grynch
    Free Member

and thanks for the other comments cp.. interesting about the maps feature ( part of why I want the iphone actually. )

chewymk4
    Free Member

Remember no Bluetooth functionality (apart from connecting to headset or similar) and no MMS facility (unless you download a pay-as-you-go application).
    Saying that, i still think it is one of the best phones on the market but i don’t pay for mine (got to have some perks for sorting out the company mobile phones) so maybe i’m biased! 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

If you want an iphone for navigation outside the UK don’t. If you want an iphone for “EXTREME SPORTS!!!!!!” navigation inside the UK, don’t.

If you want it to wander around a city with and figure out where you are, it’s perfect for that. In the UK. Or with wifi access.

glenh
    Free Member

If you want a phone for navigation, then buy a windows phone and use memory map/anquet maps.

Then you with have proper OS maps with no downloading problems when you have a poor/no signal.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks all.
    I’m based in switzerland but I thougth the maps would be a good feature for my semi-frequent trips to England… but whats the deal?.. I would have to buy a UK maps download or is that even possible? ( reading CPs post again )

glenh
    Free Member

Basically the mapping available on the iPhone (such as google maps) downloads maps as you use it and they are not saved.
    Thus, you need a data connection and one that isn’t going to cost the earth (which it might if it’s in another country from where you bought the phone).

Secondly, google maps if fine for streets, but useless for off road navigation.

If you run memory map or anquet maps on a windows phone you just buy the PC program and whatever electronic OS maps you want and then load what you need onto the phone. No data connection needed and proper maps.

Of course OS maps aren’t available for switzerland, but perhaps an equivalent is?

grynch
    Free Member

yes we have topo. maps here.. I’ve only ever seen them in paper format but they must exist in electronic version.

thanks again for the help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘iPhone’ is closed to new replies.