Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • iPhone Users: check out "Epic Citadel"
  • GrahamS

If you've got a 3GS or better then take a look at "Epic Citadel" on the App Store.

It's just a tech demo, but it shows off the kind of graphics we'll be seeing in iPhone (and no doubt Android) games in the very near future.

AlasdairMc

Benefit if the doubt has been given, downloading it now.

While we're on this subject, give Zombie Infection a shot. It's like Resident Evil for 59p, a fantastic game.

AlasdairMc

Actually – just tried this and it looks pretty good. I just hope they can build a game out of it, iPhone needs a decent FPS I reckon

clubber
    Free Member

Very slow on my 3GS though it looks great. Guess it's better on the 4g.

GrahamS

A game is in the works. Working title is "Project Sword".

But more interesting is that if they license a full Unreal Engine then people can develop games for it using the existing toolkits. So the bar might be about to get raised quite a bit on iPhone games.

GrahamS

Not slow on my 3GS clubber. Perfectly "playable", only stutters a little when tons of polygons on screen (i.e. at the campsite looking back at the Citadel)

Are you running lots of other stuff or something? Try a reboot then look again.

Won't be that much faster on the 4 I reckon. Faster processor, but much higher res screen to cope with.

AlasdairMc

I found it alright on my 3GS, but I don't have any other programs running in the background (reset it earlier for that very reason)

oxnop
    Free Member

Did stutter a little on the iPhone 4 until i closed down the 20+ apps I had open!

Looks amazing.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah prob got a load of other apps still open. So much for jobbie's no need for task manager 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Closed down all other apps and now it crashes every time!

GrahamS

Lol. Oh well it is only a demo. You could try the troubleshooting advice they offet at the bottom of this page:

http://www.epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel/

coogan
    Free Member

You can close apps down?

spacemonkey

I'll check out your link later. In the meantime, take a look at the ID Software's Quake engine demo – highly impressive!

incognito
    Free Member

'You can close apps down?'

go into the app and click the home button rather than double click.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

WOW, thanks for the heads up GrahamS,

Plays smoothly on my 3GS, amazing graphics!

jam-bo

Check out iOS 4.1. Seems pretty good so far, fixed Bluetooth, HDR photos and once I get my YouTube account sorted hi-def video uploads.

GrahamS

You can close apps down?

When you are using the app-switcher (the little list of apps that comes up when you double-click the home button) then you can hold on app till the red button appear and close it down.

Not sure it makes a huge difference as most of those apps will just be in a sleep state, but it might help if any of the apps have background tasks (or possibly have bad memory leaks).

In the meantime,
    take a look at the ID Software's Quake engine demo – highly impressive!

Yep but this is a "playable" app rather than just a video.
    Quake vs Unreal – it's like the 90s again. Should be interesting.

pinches
    Free Member

incognito – Member

'You can close apps down?'

go into the app and click the home button rather than double click.

even so that doesn't close them properly

if you double click the home button to get the multitasking bar up then press and hold on one of the apps they quiver (the same way as if you deleted them on the home screen) but they have a " – " sign in the corner. that closes them down properly and removes them from the multitasking bar.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘iPhone Users: check out "Epic Citadel"’ is closed to new replies.