• This topic has 52 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by zomg.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • iPhone SE – is it any good?
  • matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has had SE v1 and now has SE 2022. Cracking phone. Really good pictures. Slick and fast to use. No issues with battery if you’re not a 12 hours a day on your screen.

It. Just. Works.

Small size is teh shizzles.

Cougar

The Op asked if a specific phone was any good and got replies mostly to the positive.
    As I understand they want a device that works with their car and iTunes.

I missed the later post which mentioned iTunes.

IME, jumping ship from Android to Apple, or from Apple to Android, rarely ends well.  This is a bit of an odd case in that the OP has a foot in both camps.

johnnystorm

Same scenario as @robertajob , SE for a work phone and it’s rubbish.

Not sure why everyone praises it’s small form factor because it’s got a massive chin and forehead taking up half the low res screen. It takes me right back to my iPhone 4S and not in a good way.

jamesoz

“IME, jumping ship from Android to Apple, or from Apple to Android, rarely ends well. This is a bit of an odd case in that the OP has a foot in both camps.”

Yeah, bit of an arse ache, at work we went Samsung, Apple, Motorola then Apple again.
    Takes a while to get used to each.
    I have a fairly equal like and dislike of iOS and Android.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

I’ve ordered a cheap iPod touch for the time being and will see what the new SE has to offer when that comes out later in the year.

slowoldman

I have a 12-mini (don’t like large phones) and it does everything I need it to do.

iPhone12-mini here too, same reason as above, I don’t want to be putting a PC/tablet in my pocket every time I go out.

The 12 mini is a brilliant phone. Again, nice form factor for those not wanting a tablet in their pocket.

Me too. I did look at the SE but decided on an “excellent” refurbished iPhone 12 from Backmarket. It looks new. Very pleased.

mashr

johnnystormFull Member
    Same scenario as @robertajob , SE for a work phone and it’s rubbish.

Not sure why everyone praises it’s small form factor because it’s got a massive chin and forehead taking up half the low res screen. It takes me right back to my iPhone 4S and not in a good way.

So what makes it rubbish? Just that the screen only covers 85% of the front of the phone?

multi21
    Free Member

slowoldman

I have a 12-mini (don’t like large phones) and it does everything I need it to do.

iPhone12-mini here too, same reason as above, I don’t want to be putting a PC/tablet in my pocket every time I go out.

The 12 mini is a brilliant phone. Again, nice form factor for those not wanting a tablet in their pocket.

Me too. I did look at the SE but decided on an “excellent” refurbished iPhone 12 from Backmarket. It looks new. Very pleased.

Decent, I’ve also been lucky with SmartFoneShop, I think it was an unused shop return, it was pristine.  What puts me off those places in general though, is they only guaratee battery health of 80% (or similar).

My experience is that the battery is pretty marginal at that point and sometimes won’t last a day.

At least if you buy one from the Apple shop it has a new battery in so you’ll probably get at least a couple of years out of it before it gets to that point (can’t wait for that replaceable battery law to kick in…)

johnnystorm

@Mashr yeah the screen is the main downside, it’s more like 65% screem to body and its only HD. The cameras are so so, there’s no back button, daft fragile cables, tiddly keyboard because of the tiddly screen… my daughter has a Redmi 9 I think I paid £85 for new that’s no worse an experience.

simon_g

Current SE is has the A15 chip that’s in the iPhone 13 and 14 so will be supported for ages. 5G too.

About the only thing against it is TouchID / home button rather than FaceID and swiping. You might prefer that but everything else iPhone has moved on now.

slowoldman

It is of course horses for courses but I did check the specs for 13 12 minis and SE before going for the 12 mini. Yes it’s an A14 chip but it’s a larger/higher resolution screen than the SE and a slightly smaller/lighter case.

prawny

I’ve got one, wife is on second. My only issue with it is the battery life. I’m quite a heavy user though, and came to it from a larger iPhone 11. I think I’ll probably get rid before long now and go back to a bigger phone. I’ve still got almost a year left on the contract but it doesn’t really work for me.

zomg

my daughter has a Redmi 9 I think I paid £85 for new that’s no worse an experience.

A web search suggests the Redmi 9 stopped getting updates last July. Having (the nightmare scenario of)  a published exploit used to empty your bank accounts would suck hugely as an experience. Even having your social media accounts stolen is very disruptive. Be very wary what you use devices that no longer get security updates for.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.