Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • iPhone OS v4 Available now!
  • matthewjb
    Free Member

If you just can't wait a few weeks then you can get the new OS here.

You need a Mac to do it (and need to download a beta of iTunes) but it seems to work fine.

The ability to put apps in folders is great. 6 screens of apps compressed down to 2.

clubber
    Free Member

Damn mac fanbois 😉

Guess I'm going to have to wait for the proper release date 🙁

Folders is a big plus I reckon – 10 screens is a far from ideal.

Milkie
    Free Member

So can you run iTunes through Virtual Mac on the PC??

Has anyone tried something like this before?

Milkie
    Free Member

Now available for everyone via iTunes !

willard

NO IT IS NOT!!!!

I was all fired up there and, after checking, now feel cruelly let down.

B'stard.

alexxx
    Free Member

me too, lier!

theflatboy
    Free Member

think i'll wait for the jailbreak before i update 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

whats so good about the jailbreak theres nout on it that makes it much better is there?

Milkie
    Free Member

Oh sorry guys, just read it's going to be 5/7pm this evening. iTunes lied to me, it said my phone was up to date, running iOS4, previously said to update to 3.1.3 from iOS4.

I can tell you it runs very smoothly! :mrgreen: Folders are good, max of 12 items per folder though.

think i'll wait for the jailbreak before i update

Jailbroken 3GS running iOS4 have been around for a week now I think, although I could be wrong again!

theflatboy
    Free Member

alexxx – Member

whats so good about the jailbreak theres nout on it that makes it much better is there?

the jailbreak gives you far more options about layout and appearance, eg. i have notifications on the lock screen for all new sms, email, missed calls etc. one other feature was folders for apps, but that appears to have been added now. it also means i can have NES and playstation emulators running, allowing for some classic gaming.

alexxx
    Free Member

nes is pretty cool, i might do that then!

alexxx
    Free Member

can it still sinc with itunes and what happens to prebought apps? and which is the best jb?

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep it still syncs as normal with itunes – you can see the app icons on the home screen when in itunes, but they do not come up as editable, in the same way the preinstalled ones don't.

the jailbreak i used to do it was spirit. it takes a few seconds to do.

alexxx
    Free Member

sounds good, do you know the best way to get paid apps on the pc as all the ones ive got are on the phone and if you sync with pc it wipes them off the phone?

theflatboy
    Free Member

if you buy apps on the phone and then sync with itunes, it should just copy them onto the computer and leave them on there 😕

alexxx
    Free Member

hmm ill try then!
    doesnt look like there is a non beta 4 jailbreak out yet either 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

well unless you've already updated to 4.0 you can turn off auto updates and jailbreak 3 until there is a confirmed break for 4. though milkie indicates there already is.

alexxx
    Free Member

i'll just wait for 4 (not out yet maybe redsnow) but last time i looked at that it seemed a semi pain

Milkie
    Free Member

if you buy apps on the phone and then sync with itunes, it should just copy them onto the computer and leave them on there

Not sure if that works.. Right click your iPhone in iTunes and select "Transfer Purchases" which will transfer all the apps that have been bought on the iPhone over to iTunes/Computer.

well unless you've already updated to 4.0 you can turn off auto updates and jailbreak 3 until there is a confirmed break for 4. though milkie indicates there already is.

Looks like you can, but they do mention its better to wait..
    3GS Jailbreak Complete

theflatboy
    Free Member

that's weird about the purchased apps – i know mine automatically copies them over next time i do a sync, but maybe i selected an option to make it do that and have forgotten 😆

Alphabet

Are there likely to be any problems with OS v4 and is it worth waiting a few days/weeks before upgrading?

If this was a MS product then I wouldn't consider upgrading for a long while.

alexxx
    Free Member

nah not really, whatever bugs are in the apple system are there already

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi can anyone confirm when the new update will be available as no information from apple.com. Thanks

Milkie
    Free Member

Hi can anyone confirm when the new update will be available as no information from apple.com. Thanks

10pm PDT >> 6pm GMT, but they said that last year, it appeared an hour or so later.

Source

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Cool thanks Milkie!

Milkie
    Free Member

Now all we have to do is wait for all the developers to update their apps, so they will be multi-tasking… well sort of multi-tasking lol

carbon337
    Free Member

up now if anyone is interested – quite slow to download. Servers will be getting hammered.

Rio

It's telling me its going to take 50 min to download 😕

Edit: now 60min! 😯

CountZero

I'll update my 3G at some point. Getting a 4G Thursday, so not so important on the tired old phone. 😉
    It's really only the folders option that'll be really useful on the 3G. Biggest pain is having to install a whole new OS on my 'puter before I can do anything with the new phone. You need OSX10.5.8, my venerable '03 Powerbook is running 10.4.8.
    Oh, well, should have done it yonks ago.

oxnop
    Free Member

finished the download 30 mins ago, its still backing up & initialising firmware.

im this <–> far away from iOS 4!!!! 😆

Drac

Bollox left my phone at work. I'll best go and get it.

Oh and my iTunes also automatically recognises all App I've purchased not sure but may even do it with plugging my phone.

Drac

collected and downloading now, going to take awhile as also downloading True Blood S3 EP2

allthepies
    Free Member

iTunes has timed out the download three times on the trot so far…

Looking better this attempt though 🙂

Drac

About 25% done now.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Comprehensive explanation of all the new features:
    HERE

Farmer_John
    Free Member

seems pretty good. The multi tasking is quite cool when you've figured out how to use it (just double click the home button quickly). The installation / backup was a lot quicker than on previous updates – about 10 minutes including the download of the software.

GrahamS

Now all we have to do is wait for all the
    developers to update their apps, so they will be
    multi-tasking

Some have already. I use "TuneIn Radio" for internet radio and they released a multi-tasking version yesterday.

Drac

Some have been adding ios 4 for weeks, tweetdeck seems to have it, french for dummies too.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

The update has just bricked my 3Gs 🙁

just showing 'connect to itunes' screen

klunky
    Free Member

My one did that. I reinstalled the driver for it and it worked fine

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘iPhone OS v4 Available now!’ is closed to new replies.