Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • iphone or sony xperia???
  • daftvader
    Free Member

New phone time…. which one do you think would be better??? 5c or X1
    Cheers

wwaswas

I went from an iphone 4s to a Z and have just bought a Z2 tablet.

I prefer the Z to the iphone but don’t use a huge number of apps, the ability to add extra memory with an SD card appealed plus the more open approach of Android as an OS.

[edit] oh yes, biggest thing is it’s waterproof – can just put in a jersey pocket when I go for a ride and not worry.

Mackem

depends if there’ any specific apps you really must have. Both nice phones.

molgrips
    Free Member

Purely down to personal preference. If you can’t decide then there’s nothing in it, therefore it doens’t matter. Flip a coin.

DezB
    Free Member

If the IPhone had the battery life of this Sony that I am typing on now, I would be using the IPhone (mine is a 4s)

mogrim

The big difference (IMO) is the screen – I love my Xperia Z’s huge screen, it makes an iPhone screen look poky and small by comparison. But if you have smaller hands that could of course be a disadvantage, and it’s definitely harder to use one-handed.

Otherwise they’re fairly similar – there’s not much difference between iOS and Android these days, the huge advantage in apps that Apple had 2 years ago has pretty much disappeared. Both are quality devices, with none of the cheap plastic feel that the top Samsung phones have. The Xperia is of course waterproof, which is nice. On the other hand there are a lot more accessories available for the iPhone, and if you have a Mac it’ll be a lot better integrated. (If you don’t have a Mac you’ll be forced to use the loathsome PoS that is iTunes).

I’d get the Xperia, but either would be fine.

DezB
    Free Member

I just don’t need a big screen, the iPhone is a nice thing to hold in the hand and use. I have big hands 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

Well im currently using an old defy 2+ which is not answering and making ghost calls so anything is going to be better!!!

scotroutes

Xperia Z1 Compact then 😉

mogrim

DezB – Member
    I just don’t need a big screen

Of course you do, biggerer is betterer. Everyone knows that 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Its the x1 compact I was looking at

cinnamon_girl

Apologies for popping into this thread but have been considering a Motorola so how does the Experia compare?

Not paying mega bucks and only need something basic but need internet. A large screen appeals!

Thanks. 🙂

mogrim

The Xperia Z2 is quite a bit more expensive than the MotoG, they’re not really in the same market.

The MotoG has excellent reviews all over the place, I’ve got a couple of workmates with the phone and they’re very happy with them.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I went from iPhone 4s to z1 compact. I am not going back to apple anytime soon put it that way!!!

cinnamon_girl

Thank you mogrim, how does the cheaper Experia compare?

ssboggy

Never had an iPhone but recently got a Z1 compact and i’m very pleased with it. The battery life if superb compared to the other smart phones i’ve had, its also waterproof, not that ive tested it though.

The only downside seems to be the plastic screen which can scratch easily but i fitted another film to the screen as soon as i got the phone. (one is included in the box)

Toasty

I’ve got an Xperia Z1, took a while to warm to it, due to it being a huge slab of glass. Finding it really usable though, great call quality, magnetic charger, Sony’s skinning of Android is nice and lightweight, very good camera, waterproof! I wash it down post rides and don’t worry about the rain.

There’s tons I love about it. If I were buying again though, I’d get the Z1 Compact. I wouldn’t get too caught up on the wording, it’s still bigger than an iPhone.

Prior to this I had a Nexus 4, never really felt the love for it.

Toasty

Also assuming you mean Z1, where you keep saying X1. There isn’t a modern X1, the last one was:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x1-2246.php

daftvader
    Free Member

Yeah… z1 compact…. just got it so will see how it goes…

mogrim

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Thank you mogrim, how does the cheaper Experia compare?

Not used one, but from the reviews I’ve read the MotoG is better. The Xperias are arguably better looking, if that’s a consideration.

ffej
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Z1 Compact as a replacement for my 3.5 year old iphone 4s. I’m quite pleased with it to be honest. It’s definitely not as slick as an iphone but it’s far more customisable. There seems to be an app or wigit to replace everything I was missing from the iphone (like DND mode).
    Really good not to be tied to itunes which I really hated. Stuck a 20 quid 64 gig memory card in, so all in, less than 400 quid for sim free phone with over 70 gig of storage.

Jeff

Sui
    Free Member

Iive got Z1 Compact, brilliant phone. Water proofness is added bonus, it doesn’t matter if you drop it in a fountain whilst trying to take arty farty photos!

DezB
    Free Member

I’d like a compact, but I can’t really make demands on what I’m given free!

redwoods
    Free Member

Looking to replace my tired old HTC One S in the next few months so have been pondering what to replace it with. Didn’t want anything mahoosive, so was thinking either the Google Nexus 5 or the Z1 Compact so glad to hear the Z1 Compact is so well liked here!

loddrik
    Free Member

Iphone. iOS just nicer, smoother. Pics just been leaked of the iphone 6, much bigger and crucially it has curved edges which means it’ll be nice to hold. Never did like the flat bezel.

pembo6
    Free Member

I have both if these phones. I’m not a massive fan of iPhones, but they are way better than the sony. The sony is much slower, and just generally sux compared to the iPhone.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.enoughproject.org/conflicts/eastern_congo/conflict-minerals

Last I checked, Sony didn’t really give two hoots about sourcing Tantalum that was not dug out of the ground by kids and people with guns to their heads.

Apple was trying to source a better supply, and having some success.

DezB
    Free Member

sony is much slower

What are you doing on it where you notice it’s slower? Can’t say I can tell the difference from one phone to another!

scotroutes

I’ve just replaced my One S with the Z1C (yesterday!). Still getting to grips with the different Android skin but otherwise all looks good. I’m thinking about getting the click-on magnetic charger so I’m not opening and closing the door over the mini-USB port so often and it’ll hopefully last longer.

armchairbiker

Having just lost my iPhone 4s, I am going to go to the Sony Z2 over iPhone 5s.

Whilst slightly concerned about the size – the fact I can get it free, expand the memory and have a great camera sells me. I was tempted to wait for the iPhone 6 – but that will have a price tag on it.

What I do need to do is figure out how I get my music across from my Mac – but sure that isn’t going to be a huge deal breaker

redwoods
    Free Member

Those who recently got the Sony Z1 Compact – how are you finding it? Still feeling the love?

Got a call from the Vodafone upgrade team today offering me either that or the HTC One. Still leaning towards the Sony but only just!

scotroutes

The only thing I’m missing from my old HTC is the lovely car dock mode. Other than that the Sony is really nice and battery life seems to be so much better too.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

c_g – if you are just looking for a relatively basic smart phone then also consider having a look at the new Nokias. Nicely built phones and priced reasonably. I believe most of the new ones are also 4G ready.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Had my z1c a few months and prefer it to the iPhone 4s it replaced.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve had my Z1 Compact for a couple of weeks now, absolutely loving it.

cbike
    Free Member

I’ve got a sony experia.

It crashes, has no storage space, even when you add more memory you cant actually use it for anything useful.

Total crap.
    Should have got an iphone or a basic nokia non smart phone.

Rickos
    Free Member

When my iPhone 5 got smashed I switched to a z1 compact. I prefer how the iPhone works, but it would drop out of calls a lot, which when you use it for work just gets really frustrating. The Sony holds calls – even when on the train – so much better.

DickBarton

Got the z2…brilliant in every way but I detest the size…far too big. I wanted the z1 compact but at the time Vodafone didn’t offer it. Only other issue is that it only works with Sony headphones, not major but they aren’t as comfy as Apple earbuds.
    Great phone, gorilla glass is tougher than normal finishes and the waterproofing is very good.

scotroutes

My Z1C works fine with Beats headphones.

redwoods
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. Glad to hear it’s (mostly!) all good. The only thing that puts me off (and it’s a small thing really) is the charging port (the faff of keep taking off the fiddly little USB cover every time you want to charge it) and that I’d have to upgrade the memory (16GB on my current HTC is nowhere near enough). Small things I guess, but with the HTC One there aren’t those issues.

Mmmmm.

Has anyone dropped it yet? Wondering how delicate they are. I’ve dropped my current HTC several times and there’s been no damage whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘iphone or sony xperia???’ is closed to new replies.