Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPhone and Viewranger Update
  • Drac

New update out now some of the new features include.

A new update just released:

BuddyBeacon watching – view the location of one or more friends using the ViewRanger BuddyBeacon.

Retrieva Dog Collar – view the location of your dog waring the Retrieva dog collar.

Navigation – be navigated along a route, or to a point. Optionally sound alarms when you go off route or reach a waypoint.

Audio and video triggering – when following an audio or video guide, the audio and video clips are automatcail;ly triggered.

Improved route and POI editing – move waypoints and POIs using an offset handle.

So it’s getting better, I find it a brilliant bit of software.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I can’t work it out at all but that’s because I’m a technological pygmy.

All I want to do is download some Quantocks routes!

Drac

Start up Viewranger and make sure your on the same network as you PC, say your home wifi.

Press the icon in Viewranger that looks like a folder.

Select import/export

Select Wife access on

It’ll give you an address enter this in your browser on your PC/Mac

This will show folders and boxes with upload, select browse and find where you saved the route to on your computer.

Done.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

How well does the iPhone battery life hold up when using Viewranger?

My Samsung symbian phone is up for replacement soon – I can’t get a whole day’s riding out of it when using Viewranger for trying to record a track. Max is about 4-5 hours before the phone emits a dying Tamagotchi whimper and stops recording your progress.

CountZero

I’ve not tried a whole day tracking with Viewranger, don’t have the stamina these days, but I’ve had map apps running in the background with the camera in use and other apps and had the best part of a day from it, which I think is pretty good, and I’m getting a couple of plug-in battery chargers from 7dayshop that only cost £7 and you can carry around in your pocket as emergency backup. Viewranger is excellent, and fortunately I had the DVD with all the maps on from when I had my old N95. Copying from the laptop is really easy via wifi.

muggomagic

I have used viewranger on previous symbian and android phones, but I’m really put off by the £14.99 price tag for the iPhone. Is it really that much better than motion x? Can you transfer viewranger maps files that you have on PC to the iPhone to save having to buy more map tiles?

Drac

You get maybe 4 hours max from full charge recording routes.

Please motion-x is not even comparable with viewranger.

muggomagic

I’ve been using viewranger for 6 or 7 years. All the iPhone apps I’ve tried have been inferior to viewranger, but they generally only cost a quid, and the only real benefit of viewranger I can see is os maps. I think I’ll give it a bit more thought before parting with the cash.

EDIT – When I say inferior I am referring to the symbian version of viewranger which is a fantastic application with so many features. The Android version was a work in progress and a long way off the symbian version. Which I hardly used because it wasn’t as good as sportstracker etc. So I’m holding back from buying the iPhone app for the time being.

Drac

It has far more to it now than just the OS maps and for the £15 you also get tile credit.

http://www.viewranger.com/iphone/

muggomagic

Well I took the plunge last night (after 4 grande cans of stella I might add) and bought the viewranger app, uploaded my old south downs maps from my PC to it before realising you needed to get the license key, so emailed support at 23:35 requesting the license key and got a response at 23:45 with the license key. Now that’s what I call unbelievable customer service.

Have to say it looks amazing on the iPhone 4’s display, looking forward to testing it out tonight.

Drac

You’ll not be disappointed yeah looks lovely on 4 I have 3GS but seen it my bro 4.

nickjb
    Free Member

Now that’s what I call unbelievable customer service.

They are great. I’ve asked questions and had a human answer within a minute. I assumed it was automated acknowledgment of my email.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPhone and Viewranger Update’ is closed to new replies.