Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 200 total)
  • iPhone 7
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the earphones, considering they are not shipped with the phone and they own a headphone company – albeit one with a different brand image

GrahamS

Pricing irrelevant as 99% of the handsets will be sold as a contract

Only in the same way that the total price of your house is irrelevant because most people pay for it monthly 😀

The cost of the handsets has to be met somewhere.

Personally I haven’t had a phone as part of a contract for years. I just buy the handset outright. But I accept that may not be normal.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I cant work out that upgrade plan either.
    I have a one year contract and sell my phone at the end of it to pay for the new one and offset the higher cost of the 12 month contract. Last year at the start of my contract I paid around £200 for the handset and I have just sold it for £410. The price apple give you against the upgrade seems to be nowhere near the price I have just got.
    From the brief look I have had i would be paying £45 per month just for the phone then have to get a contract on top. plus the £50 upgrade fee at the end and I wont have a phone to sell a the end either.
    I’m confusing myself. I need to have a proper read.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the brief look I have had i would be paying £45 per month just for the phone then have to get a contract on top. plus the £50 upgrade fee at the end and I wont have a phone to sell a the end either.
    I’m confusing myself. I need to have a proper read.

Or what the marketing is hoping for
    See Shiny
    (can’t afford)
    Want Shiny
    (signs cause wants shiny NOW)
    Gets Shiny
    (never reads contract)
    12 Months later
    See Shiny

It’s not about you it’s about them getting people back into a 12 months upgrade cycle. If all the people who are buying smart phones have one then you need to persuade them to by more smart phones.

stumpy01

mikewsmith – Member

Or what the marketing is hoping for
    See Shiny
    (can’t afford)
    Want Shiny
    (signs cause wants shiny NOW)
    Gets Shiny
    (never reads contract)
    12 Months later
    See Shiny

I’ve got a mate who’s fiancée, soon to be Wife is exactly like this when it comes to Apple stuff.
    She referred to my phone as ‘your shitty android phone’ last time I was visiting them.

Yes, my phone that I pay £18/month for with loads of minutes & texts and unlimited data…that does everything I need it to do.

My mate reckons her iphone contract is costing her £50/month, so I’m getting almost 3 years of phone ownership to her one year and he’s already had to bail her out of a load of CC debt that she was struggling to clear….

lunge

Not read the entire thread but having had time to thing about it, the main problem for me at least has just hit me. I’m currently sat at my desk with my phone on charge, as it always is. I also have my earphones in so that I can listen to music and talk to people whilst the phone is charging. Today I’ll likely have the ear phones in for around 8 hours, 3 of which I’ll be talking on the phone, 5 of which I’ll be listening to music.

Can someone here/from Apple explain how I would do this with the new phone? And Ideally I’d like an answer that isn’t “buy 2 sets of wireless buds so 1 set is on charge whist the other is in use”.

drlex
    Free Member

^ pass-through lightening cable or Apple dock for regular wired ‘phones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

drlex – Member
    ^ pass-through lightening cable or Apple dock Buy more shiny thing to make shiny thing work .

FTFY.

lunge

Lightning dock looks like a possible but that’s another £40 to spend. Pass through cable just means I can use wired earphones doesn’t it? I can’t charge the phone whilst using them though unless I’ve missed something.

drlex
    Free Member

😉 @ CFH riposte.
    Ok: “stick with existing device”?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So how much a month are these wonderess things going to be on contract?

Currently I pay £32 a month for my 6.

jam-bo

i’d say on balance, more haters than fanbois

P-Jay
    Free Member

So how much a month are these wonderess things going to be on contract?

Currently I pay £32 a month for my 6.

A LOT.

Admittedly this is business phone rates, but one of our sub-let offices belongs to a business mobile guy – we’re all due new phones this month so were hoping for 7s to replace our dying 6s – the cheapest 7 is £599 for the 32GB, when 6s were new the 64GB ones were £520 so that’s what we had.

In order to get a 7 without paying cash upfront for it he reckons you’re looking at a £65 a month tarrif 24 months- which gives you 25GB data, unlimited calls and texts, which is a bloody lot of money, especially given Apple say they only build them to last 18 months.

flange
    Free Member

I’m due to renew my contract and obviously have the option of the 7 as and when it becomes available. My HTC M8 is buggered since the latest android update and is now super slow. I’m not bothered about a 7 but had considered the 6s.

However the bit that bugs me most about Apple devices is the need for a specific cable to charge them. At the moment I have a charger at home, a charger on my desk and one in the car. From this I can charge my Garmin, my phone, my watch, my bike lights and various other devices. Should I go for a 6s or 7 I’d need three new cables in addition to the mini usb ones I have now for everything else. Not to mention Apple cables break if you look at them funny.

As for the removal of the headphone jack, what an utter joke. Chucking a lightening port thing in the box isn’t a fix, its another bit of the phone you need to carry round and I’m assuming remove if you need to charge your phone. Its not the end of the world but its yet another thing to lose (which I’m very good at doing).

I’ll wait for the new HTC to be made available and will go for that. I’ve had an S7 edge thing and it was crap, the worst of everything.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll wait for the new HTC to be made available and will go for that. I’ve had an S7 edge thing and it was crap, the worst of everything.

Go Nexus. The 6p does need a new cable (USB C) but it’s clean, simple and good.

P-Jay
    Free Member

However the bit that bugs me most about Apple devices is the need for a specific cable to charge them. At the moment I have a charger at home, a charger on my desk and one in the car. From this I can charge my Garmin, my phone, my watch, my bike lights and various other devices. Should I go for a 6s or 7 I’d need three new cables in addition to the mini usb ones I have now for everything else. Not to mention Apple cables break if you look at them funny.

Worst still in my book they seem to have worked out a way to bork after-market cables – we bought some great, good quality robust longer cables in work so we can connect them to PCs on the floor and have them on our desks – they worked faultlessly for months – then we started to get these messages “this cable may not work correctly” or words to that effect, then as if by magic they stop working. Supposedly they’re broken, but if you use them with another Apple device they magically work again, for a few weeks anyway.

simon_g

I cant work out that upgrade plan either.

It’s an interest free loan over 20 months to buy the phone. It’s yours at the end.

You can do it just for the phone, in which case it is simply just a way to spread the payments.

Or if you include Applecare (£119) which gets you very discounted accidental damage repairs and some extra support, you have the option after 11 months to upgrade to the latest. You give that phone back, you take out a new plan on a new phone. Or you don’t, and after 20 months the phone is still yours.

I don’t think it’s really any cheaper for the serial upgraders, but it is convenient and Applecare may be a good thing if you’re clumsy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyway, Mine’s coming launch day… 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a couple of choices:

Either I can suck it up, pay a premium for a shiny Apple product which won’t support my favourite Sennheiser earphones and instead rely on a set of plasticky earbuds – one of which will inevitably fall out mid ride – which will require frequent recharging and I’ll pay a premium to be an unwilling, early adopter of technology.

Or I can buy an iPhone Six, knowing it’ll be the last Apple product I buy because it’s only a smartphone, it’s not something truly important like choosing a new bike which really will provoke much foaming of mouth because some unscrupulous and cynical manufacturer will foist an unwelcome brand new standard upon me. The bastards.

jam-bo

is anyone taking orders yet?

tinybits
    Free Member

Actually that interest free apple credit might just tempt me. I have a work contract with as much talk & data time as I want (or could ever use) but the phones are quite pap. I can drop the sim into any phone I want.

I’m an apple fanboy, so want the latest and realistically won’t miss the £33/month. In fact, I’ve probably saved that a week since I quit drinking!

So, I may just treat myself…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

…won’t support my favourite Sennheiser earphones and instead rely on a set of plasticky earbuds

As well as the crappy wired apple earbuds the iPhone 7 also ships with a lighting to mini phono adapter so it will work with your sennheiser earphones.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Waiting for Nokia to release retro phones that make calls and texts. If they can incorporate WhatApp and Instagram I’m sold.

woody74

Worst still in my book they seem to have worked out a way to bork after-market cables – we bought some great, good quality robust longer cables in work so we can connect them to PCs on the floor and have them on our desks – they worked faultlessly for months – then we started to get these messages “this cable may not work correctly” or words to that effect, then as if by magic they stop working. Supposedly they’re broken, but if you use them with another Apple device they magically work again, for a few weeks anyway.

The cables must have been non MFi hence the message. There is a constant battle with the Chinese factories trying to crack the chips in Lightning cables that do a handshake verification with the iPhone each time you plug it in. In the past each time Apple did an iOS update they barred the latest crack. They seem to have gone through a phase of not doing this, but I assume it will start again. They seems to crack down on counterfeit parts everytime they release a new Lightning product.

Many people do not see the difference between an Apple approved cable and a cheap one that they buy on eBay. So when you hear these stories of cables catching fire, Apple get the flack even when it is a cheap copy cable. We make MFI cables and can’t even change the colour of a cable or wording on the packaging without having to get Apple approval.

However you don’t get this problem so much with Micro USB cables so I think the problem comes from factories having to spend loads on trying to crack and make copy Lighting cables. To keep the costs down they then cut corners and of course have to source parts from slightly unreputable companies that are happy to make and sell hooky products. Just imagine if a company tried to make and sell counterfeit Lighting connectors in the UK. They wouldn’t last 2 minutes before Apple sued them.

Your are now getting copy Lightning connectors that can be reprogrammed on the fly with the latest crack codes, therefore removing the issue of retailers having warehouses of cables that no longer work after Apple do a software update.

Lightning equipped parts are a real money spinner for Apple as the parts costs are massive compared to non Lighting cables. If you also want to use the logo, “Made for Apple” then the license costs are huge.

jekkyl

woody74

http://appleplugs.com/

Upgrade to iPhone 7 with Apple Plug.
    This isn’t 2009. Your phone doesn’t have a floppy drive, and it shouldn’t have a headphone connector either. When we made iPhone 6 and 6s, the world wasn’t ready for the future. Now, it is. Apple Plug is the perfect solution. Fill in your archaic headphone connector with beautiful aluminium and plug yourself into the future.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Well I officially misread the pricing earlier on, I wouldn’t in a million years buy a plus model iphone because they’re huuuuuuuuuge! The regular sized iPhone 7 is only £599, only a mere £30 more than the 16GB iPhone 6 I own was at time of purchasing.

oink1
    Free Member

Watched the keynote thingy while I was on dialysis. Hearing theres a new watch OS on the way spurred me into putting it on charge. Since I treated myself to my Omega it rarely sees action! Wonder what it’ll bring? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol at the fake ads, some people are quick off the mark 🙂

anyway the markets say meh…
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-09/wall-st-falls-as-apple-iphone-7-fails-to-impress/7828530

onandon
    Free Member

Phone ordered this morning. Memory has increased but so had the price. £699 which is a good lump more than my iPad Pro purchased earlier in the year.

I’m no fanboy but looking forward to the better screen, camera over my current 6.
    No 3.5 jack. No issue for me as it comes with an adapter.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My 7plus 128gb matt black is ordered. Waterproofing won me over in the end (yes i know other companies have had it for ages). No more ikea sandwich bags for me!

P-Jay
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member

My 7plus 128gb matt black is ordered. Waterproofing won me over in the end (yes i know other companies have had it for ages). No more ikea sandwich bags for me!

I went for Piano black, but otherwise the same!

Be mindful of ditching the bag though, they say half a metre for 30 mins for something – great, but they won’t guarantee it, so if it gets wet and dies – you’re still on your own.

Does anyone know if they fit exiting covers?

onandon
    Free Member

Piano black. Scratch tactic. Apparently after the event when the press got the play with the phones, they were already displaying scratches from the microfibres cloths Apple used to keep them clean.

I can see scratch-gate coming by the end of September.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Its more splashes and sweat i’m concerned about and not full submersion. I always put my phone in my back jersey pocket so it gets sweaty pretty quickly on harder rides.

jam-bo

o2 upgrade site was struggling a bit this morning.

jambalaya
    Free Member

P-Jay curious as to how exactly is your 6S dying ? My 6 is fine and will go till Sep 2017 no problem I think. My wife’s5S needs a new battery but otherwise still going strong

woody74

It does seem very odd that the Mirror Black finishes scratches so easily and they have even put a disclaimer on their website saying so. The iPhone Colour from a few years back had a very tough and shinny finish so not sure why they didn’t just down that route. I can see a massive class action that they have made a phone finish that is not fit for purpose. It bloody annoys me that they make a great looking and ultra thin phone but then nearly everyone sticks a case on it as the finish is so delicate. There are tons of things they could do to keep the same general look but have a tougher finish. The screens don’t scratch easily so why should the backs.

Gone for Black 32gb. Sick of my iPhone 6 16GB constantly running out of storage so I glad they bumped up the lower storage level. Let’s just hope 32GB is enough and that I shouldn’t have gone for 128gb.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My 6 is fine and will go till Sep 2017 no problem I think

until you drop it .

jam-bo

?

is that exclusive to the iphone 6..

trail_rat
    Free Member

not at all – but its the certainty with which he assures us his phone will work for another year ……

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 200 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 7’ is closed to new replies.