Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • iPhone 5.
  • deluded
    Free Member

Goss on the net has a release date of 21st September. Various sites and analysts have concurred on this as the anticipated date, so it’s something perhaps a little more concrete than the usual rumblings.

I’ve got an HTC Desire, which all-in-all has been a reasonably faithful servant in fairness, but I’ve unashamedly become an Apple fanboi / iSlave or whatever other designation, I’m afraid – and fancy a change.

My current Orange contract expires in October and I’m eligible for an upgrade in a few weeks time.

Is the 5 going to be a much bigger leap forward than the 4S, ummmm, … I think I’ll hold out.

jam-bo

I doubt theyll be anything groundbreaking but worth a look if you can be bothered to wait.

I’m out of contract on my 4 so waiting for the 5.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m expecting quite a leap From the 5 to catch up/ get in front of the s3. If there’s not, I’ll get the 4s when it’s dropped in price! 🙂

scraprider
    Free Member

same here , have a 4 at the mo , contract runs out in a few weeks , it wont hurt to wait a bit like and see what the 5 is gonna have.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Hopefully it’ll have the iWallet in the chip somewhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

will it come with ibend-over-please-Sir? 😀

GrahamS

Have a 4 at the moment, getting the missus to hold out for a 5 as her contract is up.
    Then she can have my 4. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rumoured release date is 7th August now… 🙂

Andyhilton
    Free Member

links pls?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’ll be in October.

deluded
    Free Member

Chinese & Taiwanese production factories making accessories have been manufacturing a 19-pin connector following information released by Apple, to a timescale very suggestive of a late September launch date, which would coincide with the release of the iPad mini … but I agree with Jamie, probably October.

mrchrispy

Sod the phone, I’ve been waiting form a bump in the iMac range for nearly a year now!!

Drac

I’d expect a fairly big revamp as they usually do on the next model. 4S is a tweak on the 4 as the name suggests

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the 4 is dead it’s now officially a stop gap piece of cr*p we released before the 5

(please feel free to recycle this by changing the numbers in 12months time)

warton
    Free Member

my contract is up in october, so I’ll be getting the new one, as long as its got a bigger screen and has more storage, if it doesn’t i’ll be getting an S3.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sod the phone, I’ve been waiting form a bump in the iMac range for nearly a year now!!

Be lucky you haven’t got a Mac Pro.

…anyway, iMacs will be getting smacked with the upgrade stick in the next couple of months.

GrahamS

my contract is up in october, so I’ll be getting the new one, as long as its got a bigger screen and has more storage

The 4s already goes up to 64GB. How much storage do you need on a phone?

Be interesting to see what they do about the screen. People seem quite split about it. Personally I don’t want a bigger phone (if I need a big screen I have the iPad). Also they may be reluctant to fragment the platform by introducing a new resolution, as fragmentation is one of the obvious drawbacks on Android.

hora
    Free Member

The apple5 will also drop the S3 prices to sub-30 a month I bet

deluded
    Free Member

It will defo have a bigger screen, given consistent leaks regarding the casing size – four inches and some in the diagonal I reckon.

GrahamS

Hmmm… would an extra half inch on the diagonal really make that much difference?

It’s an interesting one. Some folk clearly want a bigger screen.

But it has some obvious disadvantages:

– bigger bulkier phone
    – shorter battery life
    – either platform fragmentation by adding a new screen resolution for developers to support
    – OR it stays at 640×960 but with bigger pixels so no longer “Retina” dpi.
    – starts encroaching on the iPad market, especially if they release an iPad Mini.
    – ergonomics: starts getting hard to reach the full extent of the screen with your thumb when holding the phone in one hand.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My contract runs out mid October on my 4 which I’m quite happy about.

Changing the connector is crazy though, will apple really do such an irritating thing?

tinsy
    Free Member

I wouldnt swap to the 4 or 4s because of the shape, I hope the 5 is as nice as the 3 & 3s are to hold..

But that has allowed me to drop to £13 a month tarrif and I like that a lot.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Iphone 6 come out the week after? It’s almost as bad as the Shimano groupeset release cycle…

Gary_M
    Free Member

New phone every 2 years, annual tweaks of current phone, hardly a big deal.

scuzz
    Free Member

Hmmm… would an extra half inch on the diagonal really make that much difference?

Haven’t you heard? Big is the new small!

GrahamS

Doesn’t the Iphone 6 come out the week after? It’s almost as bad as the Shimano groupeset release cycle…

An odd comment given the number of Android handsets that get released every year.

The Apple release cycle is quite slow compared to say Samsung.

kimbers

hardly a big deal.

ist a big deal if you’re a child labourer at an ilegal coltan mine in the congo, supplying chinese factories with the ore to make mobile phone batteries

GrahamS

He looks happy enough – kids love digging in the dirt. Would it be better if he was unemployed?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I always did wonder what happened to Gary Coleman.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The 4s already goes up to 64GB. How much storage do you need on a phone?

My 32gb i4 is full and I have to keep taking stuff off. I’ll get the 64gb probably, but the 128 if I can afford it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

ist a big deal if you’re a child labourer at an ilegal coltan mine in the congo, supplying chinese factories with the ore to make mobile phone batteries

At least the kids got a job, I’m struggling to see the negatives.

deluded
    Free Member

kimbers – that does come across as a little sententious, mate.

CountZero

the 4 is dead it’s now officially a stop gap piece of cr*p we released before the 5

So explain why the 3Gs is still being sold in large numbers worldwide.
    The 4 is still a damn good phone, and will almost certainly replace the 3Gs as the base starter model when the 5 comes out.
    Rumours suggest a 4″ 16:9 Retina widescreen, new 19 pin dock,new incell screen tech, allowing a slightly thinner screen, 1Gb RAM, and a new frame with metal top and bottom on the rear, with a glass panel set into the middle. Storage/processor/RFID…Who knows, most is educated guessing.

kimbers

well after googling sententious
    youre right it is
    however, im in a bad mood and seeing an stw circle w@nk about the next iphone i couldnt help myself

Gary_M
    Free Member

Quick question for you kimbers, do you have a smart phone, are you 100% sure that the content of the battery was 100% ethically sourced.

Hypocrite?

deluded
    Free Member

however, im in a bad mood and seeing an stw circle w@nk about the next iphone i couldnt help myself

Chill out fella. You need the restorative powers of a good MTB ride in the sun 😀

I assume you mined and handbuilt the computer you are typing this from…?

😀

GrahamS

kimbers – that does come across as a little sententious, mate.

I have no idea what that word means but I’m inclined to agree 😀

Obviously it’s not great and it would be lovely if poverty, violence, civil war and child labour were eradicated from all countries in the world – but I don’t think that’s Apples fault.

What can you do? Is your answer to not buy anything at all in case somewhere down the line some component or base mineral involved illegal child labour?

I assume you mined and handbuilt the computer you are typing this from…?

Edit: ah fair enough then. I know the feeling. Ignore my defensive comments and go have a nice cup of (FairTrade) tea. 😀

kimbers

yes i have a smart phone im typing this on a laptop and plenty of other gizmos around the house so yes im a hypocrite

however previously before buying a mobile phone I emailed several companies about their coltan sourcing, only nokia bothered to reply, so i bought a nokia!
    I also used this page when buying my smartphone
    http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/phonebroadband/mobilephones.aspx

does it make any sort of difference?- probably not, but it makes me feel smugger about myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 5.’ is closed to new replies.