Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • iPhone 4 hardware issue/Apple genius bar Q.
  • fenred
    Free Member

My iPhone 4 has developed a sticking sleep button so I’ve booked an appointment at the Apple store genius bar this evening. It’s within a year old so I’m guessing they’ll simply give me a new device.

I’ve backed up to iCloud but was wondering whether I should delete all of my email accounts, delete text messages, delete camera roll (all on photobucket anyway)etc prior to going in tonight or do the guys at the bar have a mechanism for transfering everything over and wiping the old phone clean?

Any real life experiences/advice appreciated. Cheers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They’ll do it and get you to press reset all in front of them

alfabus
    Free Member

I took my old 3gs in when it was 3 months out of warranty – it wouldn’t connect to the network; just kept saying ‘no service’.

My advice would be – be a nice person, act as though you have no expectations and be overjoyed when they offer to do stuff for you.

I was surrounded by people bitching and moaning from the start, they got very little assistance beyond what they HAD to be given. I was polite and friendly and got a brand new phone, despite being outside warranty.

They are humans, and like to please people. Give it a go. If that doesn’t work, then you can go medieval on their arses.

They will almost definitely sort you out though, but it might be that they take your phone apart and fix the button, rather than giving you a new phone.

Dave

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They won’t take it apart. They only do case replacement

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Before potentially parting with a phone back it up and wipe yourself so.you are happy. It’s your data so your responsibility.

alfabus
    Free Member

They won’t take it apart. They only do case replacement

they took mine apart when I went in, couldn’t fix it so replaced it, but the did have a look.

Dave

fenred
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. So, in summary, they may take it apart to try and fix it or they may give me a new one. They’ll transfer all my data across as long as I press the button, its my data…I should delete it….Oh and I will deffo be nice to them! 😆 😉

bensales
    Free Member

They won’t transfer your data if they give you a new handset.

Make sure you’re backed up to iTunes and iCloud. They will have you wipe the device while you’re there so that you know it’s been done before it’s out of your sight.

But they won’t restore to the new handset. But you just take it home, plug it into iTunes, and press the ‘Restore’ button.

This is from personal experience of having one replaced in an Apple store.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I got mine replaced a few months ago – they asked me to wipe it there and then (told me how to do it), then swapped it for a new one.

You can restore from iCloud using their instore Wifi – takes a while though.

CountZero

One thing it’s worth remembering; when you restore from backup, your music won’t be included in that. I assume you have a separate playlist for the phone, which you can just drag back onto it, or if not, set one up in advance.

Markie
    Free Member

Back it up yourself. They’ll wipe it for you, but not back it up – at least IME. Both times I’ve used a Genius Bar I’ve had gret service, although the name still grates a bit!

fenred
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thought I’d supply some feedback incase anyone else has this issue in the future.

I backed the phone up to iCloud (only) before leaving for my GB appointment….So, I arrive at the Apple store and explained problem to the genius bar, they replaced device immediately, swapped sim over, recovered my back up from the cloud, everything (including music) came back onto new phone, deleted everything from old phone, I shook his hand and thanked him for his help….Jobs a good’un! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4 hardware issue/Apple genius bar Q.’ is closed to new replies.