Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • iPhone 3GS LCD screen replacement
  • kevster
    Free Member

Following on from my earlier thread I suddenly thought whether you could get replacement LCD panels, and a quick search on the bay indicates theres a multitude of options. Anyone carried this out and if so how difficult was it? Is it worth it or shall I just ebay it as a faulty item and get a new one?!

alfabus
    Free Member

easy – i’ve replaced 2 cracked screens on a 3G and 3GS – you remove the LCD as part of this and it is simple with steady hands, patience and small screwdrivers

plenty of videos on youtube

Dave

tinsy
    Free Member

easy enough, if your screen is cracked, you can buy an assembly of the digitiser & LCD ready to pop straight in.

If you just need the LCD its slightly more involved, but as suggested its all on youtube.

Buy parts that come with the tools, as you need a sucker like a kids sucker dart or something to get the screen out easily. (can be done without, but easier with)

What is your actaul fault on your phone?

DO NOT USE eBayer PARTS4MAC the quality of parts are pretty poor.

takisawa2

As above, not at all difficult. Honestly.

kevster
    Free Member

The glass is fine, however a row of LCD appear to now not work which means a white line accross the screen (horzintally if held in normal position).

kevster
    Free Member

Anyone got a name of a seller (ideally with link) to purchase required part?

mbydmt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say easy, but neither hard.

Did it the other week, it takes patience, and make sure you pay attention to ribbon wire connections – I left one loose initially and my digitizer didn’t work. Came back to it and all was good.

I found the tools provided absolute crap, like rounded heads etc. so spent a fiver in Maplin getting some half usable ones, which made life a lot easier. The glue used for the screen adhesive is pretty poor too. I can pull my screen out now with some teasing, by hand.

Videos on youtube make life a lot easier.

kevster
    Free Member

Ok, if someone could link to the correct part then I would be happy to give it a go! Thanks for the help everyone so far!

kevster
    Free Member

Anyone?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ask at your local market stall that sells moby accessories, they may well be able to replace a screen while you wait.

alfabus
    Free Member

No specific recommendations, I can’t remember who I bought my screens from, but this one looks like it comes with the same tools, so is probably ultimately from the same place in china:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Screen-Apple-iPhone-Included/dp/B003BZTDDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350984760&sr=8-1

Dave

ski
    Free Member

Trickiest part is using a small suction cup to prise the screen out, after that its quite simple as long as you take your time.

kevster
    Free Member

The glass is OK and there appears to be things like digitisers and lcd touch. What do I need?

alfabus
    Free Member

you need the one I linked. just the lcd screen. The digitiser (does the touch stuff) normally comes with the glass. the lcd screen bolts to the glass (or rather the frame which is glued to the glass).

use the sucker to remove the glass/lcd assembly from the front of the phone (after undoing the 2 screws in the base), undo the connectors, unbolt the lcd, replace it, and reassemble.

Simple. Look on youtube for a video guide.

Dave

willard

Yeah, been there, done that. Part for the glass was cheap and the instructions on instructables were easy to follow. The only problem is that I have now re-broken the new glass. Which is annoying.

I’ll try and dig out the seller.

zilog6128

Just reporting back as I was inspired by this thread to replace the cracked glass on my old man’s iPhone. Parts arrived today, took about an hour to perform the operation working very carefully! Pretty simple really – trickiest part was seperating the old broken glass from the front as it’s glued in. If you’re replacing the entire LCD unit you won’t have to do that obviously. Job’s a good un, especially as he was quoted £50 from a shop and the part + tools on eBay cost me about a fiver delivered!

zilog6128

kevster
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Glad it went OK. I got my lcd in the post yesterday so may well attempt it tonight! It took 10 minutes on the youtube video, I reckon it will take me at least half hour to ensure i get it all right!

zilog6128

Are you just replacing the LCD (not the glass)? If so it will be dead easy, just 7 (tiny) screws and 3 cables. My top tip: don’t skim read the instructions! there is a tiny switch on the connector for cable 3 which must be disengaged before you remove or replace the cable. You will be there for ages trying to plug it back in otherwise!!

kevster
    Free Member

Yes, just the LCD unit! Didnt get time the other night so will do it over the weekend. My battery is playing up so may look at doing this as well!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 3GS LCD screen replacement’ is closed to new replies.