Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iphone?
  • peajay

Ok so whats the verdict? Writing this on an ipod touch so I know about the apps etc, but would like the abillity to break free from the wi fi at home, love the touch but does the iphone work as a phone? My contract is up and can get 30 percent off o2 tarrifs, has anyone tried “map my ride”? What do you all think?
    Cheers,
    PJ.

GrahamS

I like it (replying on it now).

Phone functionality is pretty average.
    Being able to access the net anywhere is very useful.
    GPS is pretty good, but I haven’t tried route tracking (suspect it would be crap due to battery constraints and having to leave the app running)

mboy
    Free Member

love the touch but does the iphone work as a phone?

Considering its called the iPhone, what do you expect? 😉

It’s not the best “phone” on the market probably, but it is the best everything in one box solution to many different problems.

If you love your iPod touch, you’ll love the iPhone even more, as essentially it is an iPod touch with phone facility built in too! As well as 3G capability so you can surf the net and check your emails anywhere, not just on a Wifi network.

Get one, you won’t regret it. But not only that you’ll sell your iPod touch too as it’ll become redundant!

scraprider
    Free Member

get one , new big update out in june / july, will make it the best phone around .http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

peajay

Is the battery life as bad as some posts on tinternet would suggest, or can turning down the brightness, 3G off, etc make it okish?

GrahamS

There will be a new version of the iPhone out in June to go with the new software, so it might be worth waiting for that.

Yeah battery life isn’t great, you can watch a movie on it, but it won’t manage two.

deft
    Free Member

I love my iPod Touch to death but it’s not really a very practical shape or tough enough to carry all the time like I do my crappy yet indestructable (so far at least) old phone

muggomagic

I did the same. I had a touch, contract was up so switched to the iPhone. I think it’s a good phone. I find it easy to make and receive calls. Text messaging is easy and typing on the qwerty keyboard is great, even with my fat fingers. I did worry about the screen being a bit fragile when I got it, but I bought an iskin silicon cover which also has a plastic screen cover, it has kept it well protected at work so far.
    Battery life has been better than my old N95 so far. All I have done is set the mail to manual instead of push. As recommended by someone on here, I’ve also got a bedside dock so I can put it on charge at night and use it as my alarm clock.
    I now use this for all my web surfing and emails. Generally the only time I use my PC is to download apps or songs from iTunes.

cp

There will be a new version of the iPhone out in June

still havn’t seen any evidence of this…….l

anyway, it doesn’t matter if a new one was on it’s way – the current one is still so good it beats anything as a general do-it-all device IMO. some people may have need to have another smart phone for specific reasons (windows app compatibility etc..), but the iphone interface is just so useable it WANT to use it, rather than it being a means to an end (nokia 5800).

as for the phone bit of the phone, i think it’s pretty good. sound is very clear, and it does an amazing job of not being susceptable to wind noise. i don’t know what more ‘features’ you might want from a phone?

plus the way the device is integrated – all contacts, the phone, searches from google maps, etc… all integrated so you can say call a number you’ve found in a google search of curry take aways near to where you are 🙂

i’m also using it for internet and email when i can’t be arse switching the computer on.

I switch wifi and 3g off unless i’m using them, use ‘auto brightness’ on the screen, use web/email/phone for a few hours a day and i can get over two days out of the battery.

cp

oh, i’ve got a really good cover (a very thin clear plastic) which came with screen protector (which you can’t see at all on the screen). I might remember what it is eventually… not cheap at £24, got it from an apple shop.

yoshimi

Its one of the few gadgets I’ve never got bored opf – functionality is great – I use Motion_x for recording rides via GPS, its shockingly good for a £2 application.

Found it to be very tough – used to have one of those silicon grip cases for it and a cleard plastic cover for the screen – now ditched those as the thing is just too pretty to cover in all that guff and it still looks new.

Really am impressed with it – I use mine a lot, ok don’t really watch movies but always on the internet and on the phone, usually get around 2 days out of it

sq225917
    Free Member

I have one, and Apple claim 300 hours standby time with wifi on, network off, gps off etc.

ROFLMAO.

Just no ****;ng way, 3 days maybe, at best.

That said it’s an excellent device..

vdubber67
    Free Member

brilliant bit of kit. Try trailguru for an excellent free route mapper and online route storer.

peajay

Thanks all, was needing a little convincing and an iphone it has to be, nothing else seems to tick as many boxes, and no other phones are floating my boat at the moment, the summer upgrade to v3.0 should make a good difference, do I wait till summer incase a new iphone is released or just jump on now? And do I go for a 8gig or a 16gig my touch is a 16gig but so far I’ve only used about 4.5gig?
    PJ.

cp

just go for the 8gb and get one now.

it makes sense!!

if you are currently an 02 customer, they have 8gb refurb units (new basically) you can have for free.

Count
    Free Member

iPhone is fantastic, the touch is good but the one device simplicity of the iphone coupled with the GPS is the best gadget I have ever owned (and like messiahs, I’ve followed a few)

muggomagic

get the 16gb it doesn’t cost much more and you can’t expand the memory afterwards. Get one now as the deals are pretty good. If they release a new one, you’ll not be able to get it for months and you’ll pay through the nose for it. The new OS is free and confirmed for release this summer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iphone?’ is closed to new replies.